Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't believe 2 of those people exist.

Anyway...this isn't a bad concept. Unless the White Sox go nuts and blast their way into the luxury tax, their ability to compete next year is 100% going to be determined by whether or not they can get a 20 win improvement out of the guys who are already here (10 wins behind Cleveland this year, 10 wins lost to free agency).

If they get a 10 win improvement out of guys who are already here, that's a hole they cannot possibly plug through trades and free agency, and it won't matter that Hahn didn't trade away everything he could. Whether they sign Benintendi or trade for Trent Grisham, they have to fill a handful of holes the best they can, but picking the right guy will only matter if they have already made up 95% of the ground on Cleveland through the guys already in the org. 

The Sox need 100 wins to compete next year?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox need 100 wins to compete next year?

I see you didn't read my post. 

(10 wins behind Cleveland this year, 10 wins lost to free agency).

Jose Abreu, Johnny Cueto, Elvis Andrus, AJ Pollock, and Josh Harrison total just over 10 wins however you slice it. That is nearly 1/3 of the White Sox's 2022 production that must be replaced or paid for again.

But frankly, yes, 100+ wins should have been a goal, that of course is just 30 wins away right now. It is an ungodly disappointment that we are no longer talking about putting together a team that can do that. And it is entirely possible that a young, affordable Cleveland team improves and it turns out that 20 more wins only gets you into the wild card round. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jose Abreu, Johnny Cueto, Elvis Andrus, AJ Pollock, and Josh Harrison total just over 10 wins however you slice it. That is nearly 1/3 of the White Sox's 2022 production that must be replaced or paid for again.

But frankly, yes, 100+ wins should have been a goal, that of course is just 30 wins away right now. It is an ungodly disappointment that we are no longer talking about putting together a team that can do that. And it is entirely possible that a young, affordable Cleveland team improves and it turns out that 20 more wins only gets you into the wild card round. 

That's just a really odd way of putting, almost as if giving it the even worse case scenario without context of other teams having free agents to replace as well.  Take a team like the Dodgers who are losing around 20 WAR to FA without any turned down options and non-tenders.  Apparently the Dodgers need 20 wins of improvement by this scale?  Or the Yankees are in the same boat chasing about 20 WAR in free agents.  They need 20 wins of improvment?  Well, I am sure there is an alternate rationale to explain everyone else except the Sox away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's just a really odd way of putting, almost as if giving it the even worse case scenario without context of other teams having free agents to replace as well.  Take a team like the Dodgers who are losing around 20 WAR to FA without any turned down options and non-tenders.  Apparently the Dodgers need 20 wins of improvement by this scale?  Or the Yankees are in the same boat chasing about 20 WAR in free agents.  They need 20 wins of improvment?  Well, I am sure there is an alternate rationale to explain everyone else except the Sox away.

What's actually ironic is the Dodgers won their division by 22 games. So, on paper, no they don't need 20 games of improvement.

The Yankees though, if they lose Judge, yes I think everyone would agree they'd be in trouble. 

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

There's also probably zero chance you purchased the winning lotto ticket at Joe's gas station in Altadena, but I'm hoping it was you so you can buy the team and let SoxTalk be you're GM.

Ha I don't trust Soxtalk and I don't have the education necessary but as owner I would upgrade everything behind the scenes related to player development , biometrics, analytics, scouting,allow Marco Paddy to do his job without any restrictions and fire just about everyone else.  I'd hire as many people from the Rays and Houston as possible to accomplish all that.

I'd emphasize middle of the diamond and LH and switch hitters, defense , starting pitching, speed and power. 1st base and catcher would be last on my list when drafting either internationally or college.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kiley McDaniel has contract predictions out for the top 50 FAs. 

Let me know if there's anyone you want numbers for. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/34971864/2022-23-mlb-offseason-free-agent-contract-predictions-rankings

Some relevant ones: Benintendi at 3/$42, Abreu at 2/$46, Nimmo at 5/$118 but he notes in text he would not be surprised to see it go 6 years as happened with Story. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Kiley McDaniel has contract predictions out for the top 50 FAs. 

Let me know if there's anyone you want numbers for. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/34971864/2022-23-mlb-offseason-free-agent-contract-predictions-rankings

Some relevant ones: Benintendi at 3/$42, Abreu at 2/$46, Nimmo at 5/$118 but he notes in text he would not be surprised to see it go 6 years as happened with Story. 

Add any and all left-handed bats please and thank you lol

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Sox went missing from the new top ten. Their playoff will be opening day at Houston March 30 on ESPN. Luis Robert is penciled into the lineup. See if you can guess the lineup. I have Elvis Andrus at 2B. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like Conforto is going to get less than that but what do I know.

He was at 1/$14 in the estimates that Heyman posted last week, but those same estimates had Abreu at $75 million and Benintendi at $56 million, so Conforto is higher here but Abreu seems more reasonable. 

Might be useful for setting the range, if Conforto is able to fully pass a physical this might be suggesting that $14 million is too low.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Fegan posted about 40 minutes that the payroll will be closer to $180M.  Cheap ass Jerry apparently wants to close the window even earlier than expected.

Gotta pocket that 8 mil saved from Pollock….I’m sure they will say there will be money at the trade deadline if needed to improve the team or some s%*# like that 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fegan posted 40 minutes ago that the payroll will be closer to $180M.  Cheap ass Jerry apparently wants to close the window even earlier than expected.

Yikes. $15 million less than last year. Also means we're gonna go dumpster diving in FA. 

• Like 1

Here is the quote for reference:

Last season’s payroll, estimated at $196 million by FanGraphs, was not a top-five figure in MLB, but it was easily a franchise record and indicative that the franchise feels its time to compete is now. But that figure also reflects some level of expenses accrued over the season, with a team source indicating that an Opening Day figure in the territory of $180 million is more what the club has in mind when it comes to staying in the same vicinity as last year over this offseason.