Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad we’re maxed out at the end of our contention window and can’t fill our couple major holes with legit talent because Hahn is spending $40M+ on a bullpen and $5.5M on a shitty UT guy.  That takes a special kind of bad.

How many years can we as fans continue to say we need a RF, a 2B and a SP and the “professionals” keep trying to patch it together with dog s%*#

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

How many years can we as fans continue to say we need a RF, a 2B and a SP and the “professionals” keep trying to patch it together with dog s%*#

The funny part is the "professionals" acknowledge that those are issues, yet continue ignoring it. That kind of job security must rock.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

If they are counting Pollock’s buyout as on the 2022 payroll, they have about $155 million committed in 2023 so far. A $180 million payroll leaves them $25 million to spend, give or take. 

It’s also not far off from what they spent last year depending on when you book Pollock’s charge. That would be $190 million last year, $185 million next year if Pollock is booked as part of 2023.

Honestly, I think I’m back at the trade Cease & Anderson for hauls scenarios. I just don’t see how Hahn can address our holes via trade.  Montgomery is the only minor leaguer who can headline a deal for a controllable impact player.  Even if you could move him, Ramos, etc. for Bryan Reynolds, how the f*** do you address the rotation when you’re tapped financially and prospect wise?  I’d rather do a semi rebuild leveraging our couple assets that are worth something substantial than do the traditional half ass “go for it” thing this organization loves to do.  Between being cheap and continuously rewarding incompetence, Reinsdorf really is the worst.  Can’t wait until we’re finally free of his tyranny.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

All while signing more and more expensive relievers despite drafting and trading for numerous relief prospects in the proceeding years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they are counting Pollock’s buyout as on the 2022 payroll, they have about $155 million committed in 2023 so far. A $180 million payroll leaves them $25 million to spend, give or take. 

It’s also not far off from what they spent last year depending on when you book Pollock’s charge. That would be $190 million last year, $185 million next year if Pollock is booked as part of 2023.

The point is Fegan’s new $180M payroll comment along with all the posturing Hahn has done this off-season suggest very little to work with.  I’d wager we have $15M or less to work with.  Unfortunately none of us will never know how they actually account for things like buy-outs, signing bonuses, etc so it’s really hard to reverse engineer this.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I think I’m back at the trade Cease & Anderson for hauls scenarios. I just don’t see how Hahn can address our holes via trade.  Montgomery is the only minor leaguer who can headline a deal for a controllable impact player.  Even if you could move him, Ramos, etc. for Bryan Reynolds, how the f*** do you address the rotation when you’re tapped financially and prospect wise?  I’d rather do a semi rebuild leveraging our couple assets that are worth something substantial than do the traditional half ass “go for it” thing this organization loves to do.  Between being cheap and continuously rewarding incompetence, Reinsdorf really is the worst.  Can’t wait until we’re finally free of his tyranny.

One of the more realistic trade pieces they have in my opinion to fix holes may just be Liam Hendriks. Frees up cash and yes you would have to find a closer but potentially have one in Reylo already versus having to replace a SP like Cease

• Like 1

One of the more realistic trade pieces they have in my opinion to fix holes may just be Liam Hendriks. Frees up cash and yes you would have to find a closer but potentially have one in Reylo already versus having to replace a SP like Cease

Dodgers desperately need late inning guys

• Like 1

Might be an option, but really sucks to keep trading from the major league to fill needs.  Seems counterproductive, although in this case it make some sense given our constraints and incredibly expensive bullpen.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Might be an option, but really sucks to keep trading from the major league to fill needs.  Seems counterproductive, although in this case it make some sense given our constraints and incredibly expensive bullpen.

At the same time, that bullpen was probably the only reason the White Sox stayed at .500 this year rather than winding up 6 games under. 

They outperformed their run differential the whole year, and the one thing that stands out is that they were tied with Cleveland for the 4th best record in 1 run games. If they were .500 in 1 run games, they would have won about 75 games. 

Their overall bullpen was slightly above average, but that was because they had no depth in their bullpen just like so much of their roster. Too many guys in their pen, if they got the ball, immediately gave up 3 or 4 runs, including some of their expensive guys. But, if Lopez, Graveman for the first half of the year, and Hendriks got the ball in a tight game, they kept the game tight or kept the lead more often than not.  

That could be a spot where they save money, and it could also be a deal that costs the White Sox more wins in their record than it does in WAR.