Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

6 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

No thank you. Tim needs to move off SS as soon as Colson is ready to take over. 

Why wait until then? I don't know why this is taboo to talk about. But Tim Anderson's defense at SS doesn't cut it. If they're serious about improving the defense going forward, I don't know how you can sidestep around all of Tim's errors at shortstop?

He's very athletic, with a strong arm and probably would be very good in either corner outfield spots or even 2B - and all of those positions would be less demanding than shortstop is.

Is this similar to the Eloy/DH discussion. Aren't we at a point of not caring what the player wants and doing what is best for the team?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If they aren’t going to spend anything in free agency, than go all out in the international market and put money into building up their scouting and development. 

Short of that one-off where they signed Luis Robert during the rebuild, I think you know this isn't happening while Reinsdorf owns the Sox.

• Like 1

If they're not gonna put Lopez in the rotation they should trade him because there will be plenty of teams who will.  He only has one year of control but with a projected abr number of a little over $3M. That will make him a very attractive cheap starter for a number of teams.  Trade him to the Rangers for one of their infielders or to the D'Backs for one of their outfielders.  He's way more valuable than a 6th or 7th inning releiver.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they're not gonna put Lopez in the rotation they should trade him because there will be plenty of teams who will.  He only has one year of control but with a projected abr number of a little over $3M. That will make him a very attractive cheap starter for a number of teams.  Trade him to the Rangers for one of their infielders or to the D'Backs for one of their outfielders.  He's way more valuable than a 6th or 7th inning releiver.  

Does he have much value?

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Which names are you talking?  You couldn't get Thomas, Carroll, McCarthy or Varsho for him from the DBacks and what infielder can you get from the Rangers?

22 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Noah Syndergaard got a 1yr/$21M deal last year. He was avg at best and started a freakin World Series game. Reynaldo wil be at 1yr/$3M coming off an excellent season with a history of starting.  Yes he will have a lot of value. 

Except Lopez was never that good of a starter whereas Syndergaard was for multiple years. I think Reynaldo has good value based off the season he just had but comparing him to Syndergaard is apples to oranges.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Except Lopez was never that good of a starter whereas Syndergaard was for multiple years. I think Reynaldo has good value based off the season he just had but comparing him to Syndergaard is apples to oranges.

I don't think it is.  That's the going rate for a starting pitcher and Reynaldo is clearly a different pitcher now.  He cleaned up his mechanics which led to improved fastball command and a changeup that is nearly unhittable he just doesn't have to use it enough in 1 inning stints.  A team will look at that changeup and say why the hell isn't this guy starting.  

12 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

The lack of flexibility is the result of the poor resource management a few of us have been bitching about for the last three years. This is what was always going to happen: the Sox were going to hit a wall where they simply aren’t able to meaningfully modify the team. They have lost their ability to optimize given new information.

In a league whose high-level metagame plays so much like a set of hedges and probabilities, this is obviously a terrible place to be, and belies an embarrassingly poor sense of strategy/level of understanding the game you’re playing.

But what Hahn is saying now isn’t dumb or bad, it’s just fatalistic. There are no more “moves” to make. All that’s left is to hope for the best. They can still win, they have the talent to do so — but they need some s%*# to break their way. It’s not unlike finding yourself overcommitted to a mediocre hand in poker. Everyone else still has moves, the Sox just have to hope that the cards they need are on the river. 

Not all teams improve when they spend money. Sox are poor sisters of the Angels.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

zero chance they trade Lopez, gonna keep him around for injury insurance unless a team blows them away with an offer

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think it is.  That's the going rate for a starting pitcher and Reynaldo is clearly a different pitcher now.  He cleaned up his mechanics which led to improved fastball command and a changeup that is nearly unhittable he just doesn't have to use it enough in 1 inning stints.  A team will look at that changeup and say why the hell isn't this guy starting.  

Or he's just not a starting pitcher and he's much better as a reliever.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I do think Reynaldo is a different pitcher now but the whole reason they moved him to the bullpen in the first place is because he wasn’t cutting it as a starter. It’s possible this version of him could handle a starting role but I would assume whoever trades for him in this scenario would use him as a reliever given that’s where he had a lot of recent success.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Noah Syndergaard got a 1yr/$21M deal last year. He was avg at best and started a freakin World Series game. Reynaldo wil be at 1yr/$3M coming off an excellent season with a history of starting.  Yes he will have a lot of value. 

To be fair, it is a history of being a terrible starter.

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Would you be a fan of using him as a SP and saving the SP money for offense/Defense then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Heyman keeps mentioning teams trying to trade for Giolito in different media appearances 

Can we do better for $10 million? I'm guessing no, but we're probably gonna lose him after this year anyhow. Might not be a bad idea to trade now while he still has some trade value. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Can we do better for $10 million? I'm guessing no, but we're probably gonna lose him after this year anyhow. Might not be a bad idea to trade now while he still has some trade value. 

Well if it's last year's giolito probably

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We can't get a better SP for 10 million, no.  That doesn't mean you can't improve.  They're not mutually exclusive