Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Abreu, Benintendi (Haniger/Conforto as back-ups), Segura would be a nice off season with one of Cueto/Manaea/Clevinger

Losing Pollock is a good start

If this was a serious franchise they'd find a way to shed Grandal and Kelly

Segura is an interesting name but we need to prioritize LH OFs.  

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Segura is an interesting name but we need to prioritize LH OFs.  

Just roll with internal options at 2B. Don't waste limited funds there.

Also is it a possibility they trade Hendriks and hand the closer job to Crochet? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just roll with internal options at 2B. Don't waste limited funds there.

Also is it a possibility they trade Hendriks and hand the closer job to Crochet? 

The usual recovery time for TJS is they start pitching at 12 months but aren’t fully recovered until 18 months, with a rehab assignment somewhere after 12 months. So maybe, but I kinda doubt he is available for the first month plus.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seriously, if you’re selling off Hendriks, he shouldn’t be the only piece you sell. You are creating a genuinely bad bullpen.

Only reason you even consider it is because ownership is cheap and he’s one of your only movable more “expensive” assets that you might be able to fill internally or cheaper while filling a hole elsewhere. Damn shame it’s come to stuff like this in your so called window of contention 

• Like 1

Just now, Vote4Pedro said:

Only reason you even consider it is because ownership is cheap and he’s one of your only movable more “expensive” assets that you might be able to fill internally or cheaper while filling a hole elsewhere. Damn shame it’s come to stuff like this in your so called window of contention 

But we really don’t have anything that fills that role internally. A guy who had TJS in March of the previous year who wasn’t that dominant anyway is the only new addition right now. The rest of it made up a bullpen that was very top heavy, with a couple reliable guys and a very weak backside. Promoting the backside as a strategy to make them better?

8 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Except you wouldn’t be filling a hole, you just be creating a new one. The Sox bullpen is far from a position of strength. Trading one of the better arms is a bad idea. If you trade Hendricks, then just blow the team up. It’s risky enough having to roll the dice and bank on rebounds from Moncada/Grandal - and then adding Kelly and Diekman into being depended upon in late innings.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Except you wouldn’t be filling a hole, you just be creating a new one. The Sox bullpen is far from a position of strength. Trading one of the better arms is a bad idea. If you trade Hendricks, then just blow the team up. It’s risky enough having to roll the dice and bank on rebounds from Moncada/Grandal - and then adding Kelly and Diekman into being depended upon in late innings.

I’m not arguing with you that it’s a bad idea. It’s JR and company that’s just moving water around on the Titanic not me….just thinking logically what you could potentially move to address a repetitive issue year in year out on this ball club. Undoubtedly it will create another issue just as basically any trade this team tries to make. That’s what happens when you have zero depth on the roster or in the minor leagues and refuse to go all in during your window and have other bad contracts all over your roster 

Edited by Vote4Pedro

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad we’re maxed out at the end of our contention window and can’t fill our couple major holes with legit talent because Hahn is spending $40M+ on a bullpen and $5.5M on a shitty UT guy.  That takes a special kind of bad.

I tried to tell you when we were debating getting the extra year on Colas that things were grim and more than likely to get grimmer. This is no surprise to me at all. It's why I want Colas up from the start. Wins are just going to be to hard to come by in 2023 to sacrifice even 1 game to gain an extra year.

Now it's up to trader Hahn to improve the Sox  ? That's just the worst news possible. More 30 somethings and guys with a year of eligibility left traded for what little youth we have chasing down miracles to compete and we'll still be below .500.

I suppose this will register with some that it's the official end to the rebuild. I've seen you other posts about trading away Cease now. I said the window was over and people needed to be hit on the head with a brick to believe it. Now I think you do.

• Like 1

I posted this over at the Athletic.  Just want to chime in again to say the Sox cannot be fixed with this group of players. 

Fixing these Sox is a fools errand. Here is the core of the offense:

Jimenez, 140 OPS+, 84 games.
Vaughn, 111 OPS+, 134 games
Robert, 109 OPS+, 98 games
Anderson, 108 OPS+, 79 games
Moncada, 76 OPS+ 104 games
Grandal, 64 OPS+, 99 games

Meanwhile, here's who is gone:
Abreu, 133 OPS+, 157 games
Andrus, 116 OPS+, 43 games
Harrison, 94 OPS+, 119 games
Pollock, 91 OPS+, 138 games

When you realize only one of your core offensive players exceeded 500 ABs, and your two lefties both performed far below replacement level, there isn't much hope of building around these guys. It's based on fantasy projections. These guys weren't just injured one season. All of the top 6 guys have missed time or faded miserably in the last 2 years.

Moreover, the 2 worst hitters in your top 6 are your TWO HIGHEST PAID POSITION PLAYERS. So you really need to move both, as both were outhit in a major way by Jake Burger and Seby Zavala. But who would take their albatross contracts?

If you move Jimenez to DH, as you should, and you don't want 1Bs playing in the outfield, as you should, then what do you do with the ONLY LEFTY ON THE TEAM who actually played and hit major league average, Gavin Sheets? 124 games, 98 OPS+ (108 OPS+ against righties).

What do you do with these guys?
Burger, 112 OPS+, 51 games.
Mendick, 121 OPS+, 31 games
Zavala, 107 OPS+, 61 games
Engel, 64 OPS+, 119 games
Garcia, 42 OPS+, 97 games!!

The Sox have hired the right manager this time. But they do not have a team of players who can stay healthy, field the ball, hit right handers, and be above average.

Meanwhile, look at Cleveland. (Or maybe not, ,unless you want to be depressed.) They have 6 regulars above 100 OPS+, all but Ramirez in their mid-20s, 4 of whom played more than 140 games. And hitting is supposed to be their weakness.

• Like 1