Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was talking about just September. His command was way better. He was a different pitcher.

He actually had more walks in September than August, and his 1.33 September WHIP is not obviously different from the 1.35 in August. His K rate was higher but that’s it.

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was talking about just September. His command was way better. He was a different pitcher.

Hopefully he figures it out and it's just a case of typical reliever trajectory of being bad for a year or two and then good again.

Wishful thinking for sure. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano

If the Sox are indeed going to make more improvements via trade than free agency, you'd almost have to think guys like Giolito and Hendriks could be traded.  I don't think it would happen, but they could get real ballsy and trade TA for a more significant upgrade and then sign Segura or Andrus for cheap.

Who else could they realistically trade to make an improvement?  Without hurting themselves (Cease, Vaughn, Kopech).

While i know how this will play out, I'd love to at least hear that we made gio a 4 year, 80mm extension offer and he turned it down before we trade him and he ultimately goes on to have a nice career elsewhere with a ton of success. 

I can see it already ... Giolito to the Dodgers, Giants or Angels.

Also before everybody gets up in arms about that being too much money, dont forget he finished 6,7,11 in cy young award voting before this last year where he had a 4.06 FIP. 

Was always hopeful we'd keep this core together a bit longer as it had promise. But alas we have a terrible GM and a terrible owner. Mismanaged funds + a poor vision of when to push the pedal down and make a few good signings this offseason lead to this ... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Feels like every scenario or rumored mentioned is doing very little to make the Sox a legit contender again.  

feels so much like a 2015/16 offseason to me. The floor of this team is much higher, but last year we also know it's not enough. 

Still haggling over which B- free agent to take over 2b/OF and get 2.5 war from and how much improvement that will be, etc. etc.

Said it before, said it again, I'd rather make this an eat s%*# year, where sox look for other underperforming players at the same or similar positions as their stars and try to tough love thru competition these guys ways into uncovering their potential. Because otherwise, it's all window dressing.

12 minutes ago, he gone. said:

While i know how this will play out, I'd love to at least hear that we made gio a 4 year, 80mm extension offer and he turned it down before we trade him and he ultimately goes on to have a nice career elsewhere with a ton of success. 

Also before everybody gets up in arms about that being too much money, dont forget he finished 6,7,11 in cy young award voting before this last year where he had a 4.06 FIP. 

Was always hopeful we'd keep this core together a bit longer as it had promise. But alas we have a terrible GM and a terrible owner. Mismanaged funds + a poor vision of when to push the pedal down and make a few good signings this offseason lead to this ... 

I think Gio to the west coast was all but a guarantee to happen at some point. But he signed his future away with the team the minute he asked for that extra cash last season (plus him being the team union rep). Pretty JR isn’t going to let that stand. We all know he’d rather be right than win.

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think Gio to the west coast was all but a guarantee to happen at some point. But he signed his future away with the team the minute he asked for that extra cash last season (plus him being the team union rep). Pretty JR isn’t going to let that stand. We all know he’d rather be right than win.

Yeah I don’t see him being here beyond 2023 no matter if he pitches well or not.

17 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I will be honest, while I think Gio could have a nice bounce back year, dealing him isn't the worst idea since he isn't sticking around.

34 minutes ago, he gone. said:

They did offer Giolito an extension. It was like 4 years and $50 million right before 2021.

Edited by chw42

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will be honest, while I think Gio could have a nice bounce back year, dealing him isn't the worst idea since he isn't sticking around.

But then that just opens up another hole. But I guess in a year they aren’t even going to increase payroll that doesn’t even matter.

Any left-handed bats controlled for one more year out there where a 1-for-1 swap makes sense?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

But then that just opens up another hole. But I guess in a year they aren’t even going to increase payroll that doesn’t even matter.

Any left-handed bats controlled for one more year out there where a 1-for-1 swap makes sense?

You get something back for him, hopefully something that fills other holes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You get something back for him, hopefully something that fills other holes.

Why is a team that thinks they're ready to compete this year (taking on a guy on a 1 year deal) giving back something that fills holes on a team like the White Sox that also thinks they're competitive this year? 

You need the rare situation where the returning player happens to be blocking a top prospect that the team also wants to play, and that has to be at one of the positions where the White Sox have a key need. Not likely.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Why is a team that thinks they're ready to compete this year (taking on a guy on a 1 year deal) giving back something that fills holes on a team like the White Sox that also thinks they're competitive this year? 

You need the rare situation where the returning player happens to be blocking a top prospect that the team also wants to play, and that has to be at one of the positions where the White Sox have a key need. Not likely.

Oh right I forgot.  The Sox can't go any direction but down.  My bad.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would have to be from a team that needs another SP (even back end) but has an abundance of OFs. Not sure which team that is without looking (Giants maybe?).

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh I love this one. Giants sign Judge...

Lucas Giolito for Luis Gonzalez. 

I was thinking more Yaz on a buy low but I think that would cost less than Gio.

If Joc takes the QO (kinda likely) and if they sign Judge, they also LaMonte Wade Jr. Yaz on a buy low seems like something the Sox would do.

Edited by Bob Sacamano