Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

After listening to the latest White Sox Talk Podcast episode with Jon Morosi, I think I’ve lost all optimism for next year.  The off-season they came up with was trading Giolito for Teoscar Hernandez and then resigning Cueto and signing Ross Stripling to complete the pitching staff.  Don’t get me wrong, Teoscar is fine player, but I’d be super disappointed if that was our off-season.  And honestly, it’s hard to expect much better with Rick Hahn making the trade.

EDIT: And maybe Kevin Kiermaier and/or Adam Frazier.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

After listening to the latest White Sox Talk Podcast episode with Jon Morosi, I think I’ve lost all optimism for next year.  The off-season they came up with was trading Giolito for Teoscar Hernandez and then resigning Cueto and signing Ross Stripling to complete the pitching staff.  Don’t get me wrong, Teoscar is fine player, but I’d be super disappointed if that was our off-season.  And honestly, it’s hard to expect much better with Rick Hahn making the trade.

LMAO 🤣 that’s so good and pathetic.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would ease any expectations you have on this off-season free agent wise. Most noise they are gonna make is if they can be active in the trade market. They’ve been saying this since the day TLR stepped away

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Take with a massive grain of salt, but posting to hear how people would feel about such a move.  Said he expects him to sign pretty soon and that a deal should be in the 2/$20M range.  Has the Angels as the favorites though.

If it’s only 2 year/$20M (give or take an extra couple mill), I think I would be ok with that.

The team "on paper" going into 2023 isn't going to look better than the team "on paper" looked going into 2022. The best we can hope for is patching a couple holes with randoms and (hopefully) some shuffling of value from positions of depth to positions of weakness via trade.

Then we roll the dice again and hope for healthy, productive season from the underperformers from last year.

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

The team "on paper" going into 2023 isn't going to look better than the team "on paper" looked going into 2022. The best we can hope for is patching a couple holes with randoms and (hopefully) some shuffling of value from positions of depth to positions of weakness via trade.

Then we roll the dice again and hope for healthy, productive season from the underperformers from last year.

We, unfortunately, do not have this anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Take with a massive grain of salt, but posting to hear how people would feel about such a move.  Said he expects him to sign pretty soon and that a deal should be in the 2/$20M range.  Has the Angels as the favorites though.

I would love Clevinger at 2/$20M. I think that’s the exact type Of move they need to finish out the starting 5. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

That's the thing, going into both 2021 and 2022 the same core was looked at as somewhere around a 90 win team.  In 21they did win 93 with essentially the same basic core.  Unless the Monstars stole all of their powers, it is in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would love Clevinger at 2/$20M. I think that’s the exact type Of move they need to finish out the starting 5. 

I agree. Clevinger might be around the place where he starts to regain his pre-TJ form. This would be a great signing.

Edited by Sarava

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think that Rick Hahn will be front office member to blame if this off-season goes as poorly as expected 

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's the thing, going into both 2021 and 2022 the same core was looked at as somewhere around a 90 win team.  In 21they did win 93 with essentially the same basic core.  Unless the Monstars stole all of their powers, it is in there somewhere.

The 93 win team is now missing Carlos Rodon and Jose Abreu, and facing a tougher schedule.

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Valid question, and honestly he probably easily gets an offer > 2/20. I guess we'll see. I could see the Sox being interested if they really are intent on moving Giolito. 

I could definitely see him taking 2/20 with an opt out after 1 but the White Sox insisted they don’t do opt outs last time it came up.