Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I've mentioned it before, I can't be a bigger Liam Hendriks fan both as a player and a person. He's been great as a White Sox, but if you can get something nice for him, now is the time. I worry about his elbow, and how the pitch clock may effect his performance. No one Is really talking about how the pitch clock can really change the guys with the max effort gas. A lot need more than the 15 seconds in recovery time.

yeah I still think calling the yankees will be a good idea. The FA market for them doesn't look great, and they need to replace quite a bit. I think they'd love a guy they know will perform with the lights on.

As much as I like Hendriks, it makes a lot of sense to find a trade partner for him.  If the reliever market is indeed thin, there will be several teams looking for a very good closer/late inning guy.  The Sox could fill a more urgent need, such as LH outfielder with power or 2B or even a starter.  Of all the guys on the roster, Hendriks gives them the biggest potential return with the lowest negative impact on 2023.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Comparable pitchers to Graveman (Rafael Montero, Robert Suarez) have already signed expensive deals this off-season. The idea of trading him away is still much more appealing to me than Hendriks.

Yeah but Set-up men are like buying groceries. You pay what you have to. A closer is shopping for a car, way more irrational and romantic. And then graveman, who already had some success as a closer, becomes the budget closer and normalizes some of our bullpen spend. 

Probably not a great idea for a world series contender but hey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah but Set-up men are like buying groceries. You pay what you have to. A closer is shopping for a car, way more irrational and romantic. And then graveman, who already had some success as a closer, becomes the budget closer and normalizes some of our bullpen spend. 

Probably not a great idea for a world series contender but hey.

You still think they're a world series contender? 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

You still think they're a world series contender? 

The bar for being a World Series contender is much lower than people realize. Th 2022 Phillies, 2021 Braves after all of their injuries, etc were not great teams by any means. Building a team that's on the same level as the Astros or Dodgers should be the goal, but it's not actually necessary to win the WS.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The bar for being a World Series contender is much lower than people realize. Th 2022 Phillies, 2021 Braves after all of their injuries, etc were not great teams by any means. Building a team that's on the same level as the Astros or Dodgers should be the goal, but it's not actually necessary to win the WS.

But...one of the things we have definitely seen as a requirement in the playoffs to advance is a bullpen that can slow down a strong offense over multiple games. 

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Nah, you have to win at least 100 games to win a World Series.

If you start in 2016, Here's the number of wins by each title winning team.

5 of the last 7 champions (assume the Dodgers kept up something like the pace they do every year) have won 100+ games. At worst, 4 of the 6 that count. Only 1 Wild Card team has won a title in the last 7 years, and only 2 in the last decade (one of which was the Bumgarner series that got the Giants their third title). 

Only 3 Wild Card teams have won championships since 2005, so 3 times in the last 18 seasons.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you start in 2016, Here's the number of wins by each title winning team.

5 of the last 7 champions (assume the Dodgers kept up something like the pace they do every year) have won 100+ games. At worst, 4 of the 6 that count. Only 1 Wild Card team has won a title in the last 7 years, and only 2 in the last decade (one of which was the Bumgarner series that got the Giants their third title). 

Only 3 Wild Card teams have won championships since 2005, so 3 times in the last 18 seasons.

It will be a lot different with the expanded playoffs and WC teams with less of a disadvantage. Also, with the new schedule, many of these teams won’t be able to beat up on their weak divisions as much. The White Sox schedule will be much tougher in 2023 than in 2022.

Edited by Dick Allen

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It will be a lot different with the expanded playoffs and WC teams with less of a disadvantage. Also, with the new schedule, many of these teams won’t be able to beat up on their weak divisions as much. The White Sox schedule will be much tougher in 2023 than in 2022.

You believe the Wild Card teams now have less of a disadvantage? Can you explain that to me? I'd have imagined that an additional round would be much more of a disadvantage. 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You believe the Wild Card teams now have less of a disadvantage? Can you explain that to me? I'd have imagined that an additional round would be much more of a disadvantage. 

It’s not one and done, and then if you win, staring the next series with your #1 pitcher last in line. Plus it looked like the little layoff did hurt the non WC teams initially.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s not one and done, and then if you win, staring the next series with your #1 pitcher last in line. Plus it looked like the little layoff did hurt the non WC teams initially.

I think we did see some of the contrast though - how much did Zach Wheeler wear out? They had to give him an extra day off to get him ready for a final WS game. Nola had a 4.91 ERA in the playoffs - it was 0 after the first 2 rounds and over 8 during the World Series. The Phillies had the best starters in the playoffs through 2 rounds and a 5.2 ERA over the final 2. 

OH Boy, I can already see a typical Sox move coming: signing Heyward as the lefty right fielder. I can even imagine how Hahn would spin it....

”In Jason, we get one of the premier bats in the game, at a fraction of his 22 million dollar worth.”

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bmags said:

I doubt it was one incident given how Cleveland reacted. Probably just one incident we knew about.

Clevinger was getting to that point where Cleveland trades their starters. He was about to get paid. The timing probably worked out fine for them.

Trade Crochet and Sheets for Brandon Lowe

Trade Graveman for Raimel Tapia

Sign Cueto or Smyly

Start Colas day 1

SS- Anderson

3B- Yoan

CF- Robert

DH- Eloy

LF- Colas

1B- Vaughn

2B- Lowe

C- Yaz/Seby(upgrade needed)

RF- Tapia

Bench- Burger, Luery, Romy or Mendick, Engel or Haseley(upgrade needed)

Cease

Lynn

Gio

Kopech

Cueto/Smyly

Martin

Diekman

Lambert

Kelly

Bummer

Lopez

Hendricks

So few 2B/3B options available.  

So many defenders with limited range masquerading as 2B/3B during the era of the shift should increase demand over the course of the season.  

Is there a chance that our fanbase is undervaluing Moncada right now?   Could the Sox possibly move Yoan for close to breakeven?   

Obviously, there is no replacement available, and if a clone of Moncada were available I'd think Sox internet would be clamoring for him to be a high upside acquisition for 2B.... But I just wonder if this is a chance to get away from him if the front office is so inclined?  

I hope they don't and really hope he has a return to form in '23 but it is slowly becoming apparent that maybe we aren't as backwards in his deal as we might believe. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Trade Crochet and Sheets for Brandon Lowe

Trade Graveman for Raimel Tapia

Sign Cueto or Smyly

Start Colas day 1

SS- Anderson

3B- Yoan

CF- Robert

DH- Eloy

LF- Colas

1B- Vaughn

2B- Lowe

C- Yaz/Seby(upgrade needed)

RF- Tapia

Bench- Burger, Luery, Romy or Mendick, Engel or Haseley(upgrade needed)

Cease

Lynn

Gio

Kopech

Cueto/Smyly

Martin

Diekman

Lambert

Kelly

Bummer

Lopez

Hendricks

May as well trade everyone if this is the plan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Really?  I think it's a pretty conservative "shakeup" to just trade Crochet, Graveman, and Sheets. 

And acquire an OF that fits pretty much no team team needs, and biggest move is acquiring a guy that wasn’t good last year. Maybe a bit dramatic but replace Conforto with Tapia and I like it alot more. I’d also hang onto Graveman. 

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

So few 2B/3B options available.  

So many defenders with limited range masquerading as 2B/3B during the era of the shift should increase demand over the course of the season.  

Is there a chance that our fanbase is undervaluing Moncada right now?   Could the Sox possibly move Yoan for close to breakeven?   

Obviously, there is no replacement available, and if a clone of Moncada were available I'd think Sox internet would be clamoring for him to be a high upside acquisition for 2B.... But I just wonder if this is a chance to get away from him if the front office is so inclined?  

I hope they don't and really hope he has a return to form in '23 but it is slowly becoming apparent that maybe we aren't as backwards in his deal as we might believe. 

I think a main reason Grifol was chosen was his Cuban connection and how he could possibly help Moncada. Let's see what happens.