Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The interesting thing is from Fangraphs, Pollock's LF numbers were almost exactly 0.  No runs saved, no outs above average.  Arm slightly positive, URZ slightly negative.  His RF and CF?  Awful.  Thanks again Tony.

I’m surprised by the CF numbers. I thought he looked adequate out there, surprisingly. But perhaps that’s just because I had very low expectations. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m surprised by the CF numbers. I thought he looked adequate out there, surprisingly. But perhaps that’s just because I had very low expectations. 

His range in cf is slightly positive and comparable to what he did previously. Errors were a little weak and worst of his career, but that's Chicago for you. What was the worst thing for him in his time in CF? His throwing arm giving up extra bases, which teams were happy to take. 120% of his negative CF defensive performance comes from his throwing arm (fully offset his decent range). 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

They allocated too much money into the bullpen. Trade Hendricks and get a haul for him and put Lopez in the closer role. 

I do not hate the item of trading Hendriks if we truly have massive money constraits.  I still think you roll with the majority of this team and try to win this year.  AKA use Hendriks to fill holes elsewhere not for prospects who can't help in 2023.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I threw out a 2023 plan in like early october that I hadn't actually run numbers on but using the fangraphs crowdsource numbers it actually ended up working out pretty decent:

image.png

Basically trade giolito for outman/amaya/$$, trade liam for Gleybar, sign Jose, sign bassitt.

SP: Cease/Lynn/Quintana/Bassitt/Kopech, rely on graveman and hope team is good and can add at deadline and let some of its prospects improve.

I still think if they actually did this it would be a pretty good club. That outfield would scare people, and my initial expectation was AJ Pollock was there. You are thus at a crossroads with using sheets or eloy in LF or seeing if outman is for real.

But the original argument was creating a lot more competition on players and less complacency.

I was looking to see if Leury could be sent for a bad reliever contract but the only teams that gave multi year contracts last year to disappointing relievers was the chicago white sox.

BMAGS, where do I access this to fill out my own?

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They have too much money allocated into the bullpen. Trade Hendricks and get a haul for him and put Lopez in the closer role. 

I'm leaning this way but not sure about a haul. See if the Dodger want him. Has 1 year and a Club Option left. Basically $33M for 2 years.

18 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I do not hate the item of trading Hendriks if we truly have massive money constraits.  I still think you roll with the majority of this team and try to win this year.  AKA use Hendriks to fill holes elsewhere not for prospects who can't help in 2023.

I remember that graph that came out that ranked the bullpens and the White Sox were 1 of 3 teams that had an "expensive and bad" bullpen.  That should be a fireable offense for a GM imo.

16 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They have too much money allocated into the bullpen. Trade Hendricks and get a haul for him and put Lopez in the closer role. 

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The White Sox's bullpen was a sliver better than average last year, but the bullpen construction was actually more important than that. The one thing that kept the White Sox from being a mid-70s win team is that they were tied with Cleveland for 4th best record in MLB in 1-run games.

To say that another way, when the White Sox were able to give a tight game to the key 2 or 3 guys in their bullpen, they were commonly able to hold that lead or win that game, at a rate comparable to the best bullpens in baseball. However, the bullpen had very poor depth, so if the middle relievers came into a game, more often than you would ever want - they crumbled. 

They do have too much money allocated to the bullpen, but they also have very poor bullpen depth. Trading away Hendriks and moving guys like Bummer and Lambert into key roles in tighter games has a very good chance of making this team suddenly beatable in 1-run games, and thus it has a very good chance of making this team worse. 

Take a look at the Phillies and Astros and ask yourself if you have confidence in Bummer, Lambert, Graveman, and Lopez as key contributors in a pennant race or a playoff series? Maybe Lopez is fine, you ready to go to Bummer and Lambert in a key game? We did exactly that in the "must-win" series against Cleveland. 

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I have no problem with them trading Hendriks for prospects and then flipping them for help elsewhere, or keeping those guys and using other prospects that might be further away. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox's bullpen was a sliver better than average last year, but the bullpen construction was actually more important than that. The one thing that kept the White Sox from being a mid-70s win team is that they were tied with Cleveland for 4th best record in MLB in 1-run games.

To say that another way, when the White Sox were able to give a tight game to the key 2 or 3 guys in their bullpen, they were commonly able to hold that lead or win that game, at a rate comparable to the best bullpens in baseball. However, the bullpen had very poor depth, so if the middle relievers came into a game, more often than you would ever want - they crumbled. 

They do have too much money allocated to the bullpen, but they also have very poor bullpen depth. Trading away Hendriks and moving guys like Bummer and Lambert into key roles in tighter games has a very good chance of making this team suddenly beatable in 1-run games, and thus it has a very good chance of making this team worse. 

Take a look at the Phillies and Astros and ask yourself if you have confidence in Bummer, Lambert, Graveman, and Lopez as key contributors in a pennant race or a playoff series? Maybe Lopez is fine, you ready to go to Bummer and Lambert in a key game? We did exactly that in the "must-win" series against Cleveland. 

Again, when he returns from TJS, Garrett Crochet will be a nice add to the pen. Especially if he's 2020 Crochet. He basically replaces Hendriks in that role. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, when he returns from TJS, Garrett Crochet will be a nice add to the pen. Especially if he's 2020 Crochet. He basically replaces Hendriks in that role. 

Plus there are always cheap BP arms out there sign 2 of them for $5M and 2 more for $1M  apiece and let it fly. Yes rely on your MLB/MilB scouting.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, name for me a pitcher in the last several years who has come back from TJS and been fully back to themselves in under 18 months. 

• Like 1