Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

Thoughts on buying low on Jarred Kelenic? Seems like he should be available with the Mariners in win now mode and rumors pointing to them still looking to add another OF’er. Don’t know where the value lies in a Kelenic for Graveman deal lands, but I don’t hate the idea of gambling on a big upside LH OF’er without spending $.

30 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Thoughts on buying low on Jarred Kelenic? Seems like he should be available with the Mariners in win now mode and rumors pointing to them still looking to add another OF’er. Don’t know where the value lies in a Kelenic for Graveman deal lands, but I don’t hate the idea of gambling on a big upside LH OF’er without spending $.

Well the downside is that he’s been a -2 win player so far in his career so I get the concept but it’s way more of a “rebuilding team” move. If he is that bad again that could cost the White Sox a chance at the wild card if a lot of other things went right. That’s the kind of move they should have been making in like 2018-2019.

If they were going to sell off a couple other pieces to save money, then why not?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I'd rather have Kelenic than Haniger, Kepler etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This, but only if you have a decent contingency plan. Something like Brantley. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Hendriks gets moved.  He just seems like a luxury we can’t afford at the moment and he should actually bring legit value back given what relief pitchers are going for right now.  Additionally, moving him would free up some payroll and give us more flexibility to address other needs.  Both the Yankees & Dodgers could use an elite closer and there is no one is his stratosphere available in free agency.  And honestly, I also worry his arm is going to explode at some point next year.  Basically it just makes so much sense to trade him right now even if it weakens the current state of the bullpen, assuming a quality return can be attained.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Hendriks gets moved.  He just seems like a luxury we can’t afford at the moment and he should actually bring legit value back given what relief pitchers are going for right now.  Additionally, moving him would free up some payroll and give us more flexibility to address other needs.  Both the Yankees & Dodgers could use an elite closer and there is no one is his stratosphere available in free agency.  And honestly, I also worry his arm is going to explode at some point next year.  Basically it just makes so much sense to trade him right now even if it weakens the current state of the bullpen, assuming a quality return can be attained.

I’m definitely open to moving him. Just gotta hope Graveman or Lopez can step into closer role. Wouldn’t be opposed to signing someone like Brad Boxberger for a year/$2M deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they are trading from the 26 man roster to fill elsewhere Hendriks would probably be at the top of my list as well.  I too am concerned about his arm and I feel like they can fill his role easier in house.  I do wonder how his wonky contract impacts the potential return. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Pretty sure I mentioned Kelenic at the trade deadline for the same reasons you are. No idea how little it would cost to get him but worth checking into.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Now you're on my wavelength. You come around eventually 👍

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wouldn’t mind trading Hendriks as long as we used the money to sign Nimmo (or some other big contract).  

Agree with everyone on moving Hendriks. Relief is the only spot where I'd prefer to have 2 war split between two players rather than having one elite reliever. Intimidating bullpens are created by having good pitchers to cover the 6th-9th, not just focusing on the 9th with occasional long saves. This team had a solid enough bullpen last year and it meant nothing because the team was out of too many games by the 5th inning. We have a solid enough stable of relievers to not turn RP into a weakness if we trade Hendriks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I had trading Hendriks in my off-season plan, so I’ve been open to it for a while. I think we’d looking for different things though.

Yea probably but it's not like my OF plan isn't needed . You can do worse than getting MLB ready talent who are going to give u speed and defense in the OF with hitting upside with years of control.Upgrades are upgrades . wherever they are. It sure fits the budget better than piecemealing guys who cost more for a year or 2. That's usually the Hahn plan that hasn't been working too well. We criticize him and want him fired but most of you are throwing the same names around he would and get the same bad results or short term decent results. Hahn talked about a 10 year + run of playoffs. So far he's accomplished nothing. There has to be more depth. There's nothing in the OF in AAA or the Sox . It's beyond pitiful. When does long lasting team building happen ? No SP depth either.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea probably but it's not like my OF plan isn't needed . You can do worse than getting MLB ready talent who are going to give u speed and defense in the OF with hitting upside with years of control.Upgrades are upgrades . wherever they are. It sure fits the budget better than piecemealing guys who cost more for a year or 2. That's usually the Hahn plan that hasn't been working too well. We criticize him and want him fired but most of you are throwing the same names around he would and get the same bad results or short term decent results. Hahn talked about a 10 year + run of playoffs. So far he's accomplished nothing. There has to be more depth. There's nothing in the OF in AAA or the Sox . It's beyond pitiful. When does long lasting team building happen ? No SP depth either.

The SP depth in the system is actually getting better, but AAA is going to be light without another addition.  Right now there is a ton of pressure on Sean Burke to step up his game & fast, because he’s literally two injuries away from being in the major league rotation.