Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, T R U said:

They picked up the Kimbrel option with zero intent on keeping him, that's probably why. They also nitpicked with Giolito over 50K so none of this comes as a surprise.

And then they traded him for a whopping $19 million in guaranteed money...

22 minutes ago, chw42 said:

And then they traded him for a whopping $19 million in guaranteed money...

I think its safe to assume they felt they could have flipped him for prospects and quickly found out no one was interested in that so they had to take what they could get.

To adequately fill the OF spot it’s almost going to have to come via trade no? Are they going to spend another 12-15 mil on an OF’er and spend around $30 mil this off-season (assuming a couple of small/gamble signings)?

So the trade will have to be us giving up some at least pretty good prospects (the few we have) for a guy not making much $.

Or

We trade someone making decent $ on the 53 man roster. I know Gio is brought up a lot, but still doesn’t make sense to me to create another hole to fill 1 which includes Lynn. Yaz is negative value. Moncada is at an all time low in value, if he has any. And there isn’t much else to trade making $ that makes sense…other than in the bullpen with Graveman and Hendricks, which seem like the most likely candidates. 

Obviously there have been a ton of ideas thrown around, but is there any kind of consensus on realistic options? The trade candidates for a LH hitting OF’er with pop that is also a good fielder seem to be few and far between. 

And yes, I’m aware the Sox front office by no means HAVE to fill the spot adequately…just looking at best case scenario 

Will  Montgomery  be ready to play SS, 2nd, or 3rd base and hit at the Major league level in 2023 ?

Will Colas be ready to play the OF and hit at the major league level in 2023 ?

Even if they are not brought up to be in the starting line-up, can they at least be relied on as back-ups or platoon players ? 

Will their respective performances at Spring Training provide enough additional information for Sox management to make those calls or do these  prospects have more to prove at the Minor league level? 

Edited by tray

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Will  Montgomery  be ready to play SS, 2nd, or 3rd base and hit at the Major league level in 2023 ?

Will Colas be ready to play the OF and hit at the major league level in 2023 ?

Even if they are not brought up to be in the starting line-up, can they at least be relied on as back-ups or platoon players ? 

Will their respective performances at Spring Training provide enough additional information for Sox management to make those calls or do these  prospects have more to prove at the Minor league level? 

I’m all for being aggressive with prospects…but I don’t think Montgomery is even a thought for any part of ‘23. Maybe September best case scenario 

Colas is a different story…yes, he should be factored heavily into 2023 plans. Hopefully he’s starting opening day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

To adequately fill the OF spot it’s almost going to have to come via trade no? Are they going to spend another 12-15 mil on an OF’er and spend around $30 mil this off-season (assuming a couple of small/gamble signings)?

So the trade will have to be us giving up some at least pretty good prospects (the few we have) for a guy not making much $.

Or

We trade someone making decent $ on the 53 man roster. I know Gio is brought up a lot, but still doesn’t make sense to me to create another hole to fill 1 which includes Lynn. Yaz is negative value. Moncada is at an all time low in value, if he has any. And there isn’t much else to trade making $ that makes sense…other than in the bullpen with Graveman and Hendricks, which seem like the most likely candidates. 

Obviously there have been a ton of ideas thrown around, but is there any kind of consensus on realistic options? The trade candidates for a LH hitting OF’er with pop that is also a good fielder seem to be few and far between. 

And yes, I’m aware the Sox front office by no means HAVE to fill the spot adequately…just looking at best case scenario 

There's no consensus on Soxtalk. We hear the same names bantied around like Benintendi, Gallo, Conforto , Bellinger but I'm highly doubtful on FA signings from this point forward in the OF. That leaves Trades and dumpster diving. I've suggested names in trades and dumpster dives for guys who are definitely better than Cespedes who currently is the 3rd real OFer the Sox have and not real close to MLB ready. No one really likes hearing about DFA guys as viable solutions but for depth purposes and even for 26 man roster purposes there are always MLB ready fast defense types with upside power bats. I suppose it would be disappointing to many to get some of those guys. But they are ready defensively and had successful small samples in MLB last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well, no one says they are good at their jobs lol they're bad at this.

Yep when I can say the QO should've been made and   I can say way ahead of time he should've been resigned without knowing what the Sox knew about his medicals you know winning a championship is never a priority.

But many here were very concerned about his past injuries and didn't want to resign him. Not even our medical expert wanted to resign him.

I always thought there was nothing wrong with his arm except fatigue. After all, even when he slowed down in August he'd get extra rest and go right back out and also made a playoff start. It never sounded like an injury to me. Also working with Katz improved his mechanics and I was confident that he had eliminated most of the things that led to his injuries.

All season long people here were almost hoping he'd have arm problems because I was so vociferous about wanting him to return.

April , May,  June, July I'd hear "he's gonna get hurt just wait " but it never happened.

SF didn't make the playoffs but Rodon had a great season. Thanks JR, Hahn, Sox medical staff for successfully making a decision that benefitted SF more than the Sox in this laughable championship window.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sure where to place this, but wow wow wow:

It was a fireable offense.  Our beat writers not burying Hahn on it was shameful.  Not surprised the front office and/or friends of the front office are now blaming Jerry. 

No matter how much you hate JR there is no way he instructs you to let Los walk free if you tell him there is no way he takes the QO. The idea that every dumb move this front office makes was because their hands were tied is getting tiresome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Or

If they’re adding an OF of significance, either we’re trading for one directly or will need to free up cash.  If it’s the latter, I think one of our relievers will be gone.

17 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

It was a fireable offense.  Our beat writers not burying Hahn on it was shameful.  Not surprised the front office and/or friends of the front office are now blaming Jerry. 

No matter how much you hate JR there is no way he instructs you to let Los walk free if you tell him there is no way he takes the QO. The idea that every dumb move this front office makes was because their hands were tied is getting tiresome. 

The problem is - if you were HAhn, is that the hill you die on…probably not. That should have been TLR hiring and maybe he did make a big stink but who knows. 

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The problem is - if you were HAhn, is that the hill you die on…probably not. That should have been TLR hiring and maybe he did make a big stink but who knows. 

From my story on the State of the Sox:

“Hahn went to JR and told him it would be a bad idea to hire Tony not because he didn’t think he was a good manager but because physically how can you ask a 76-year-old man to go through that grind? But JR signs his paycheck so what are you going to do? Rick did what he was told and tried to make the best of it.”

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

From my story on the State of the Sox:

“Hahn went to JR and told him it would be a bad idea to hire Tony not because he didn’t think he was a good manager but because physically how can you ask a 76-year-old man to go through that grind? But JR signs his paycheck so what are you going to do? Rick did what he was told and tried to make the best of it.”

Yeah - I figured he may have thought more than that but you can’t be that blatant to your boss on why something is stupid. Hahn said what he thought might work which was still diplomatic enough to not totally rip JR.

Heck I was all in on Rodon and offering him a year ago - but if my owner / boss told me he didn’t like it - Rodon qb would not have been the hill I died on. That would have been asking for more funds for a Harper by talking about the broader business value that move would have had. 

29 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If you're RH, there is NO hill on which you die on. Your job is to give a lawyerly and thoughtful gloss on BS decisions made over your head so as to make chicken s%*# seem like chicken salad.

In exchange you get a very good salary and more importantly job security for life. Sure there may be other GMs that make 3-5m a year and you might be stuck between 1-2m but so what, those checks are guaranteed for as long as JR is around, rain or shine. 

If you've got that gig you don't "die on a hill" ever. You milk it until its absolutely dry. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I figured he may have thought more than that but you can’t be that blatant to your boss on why something is stupid. Hahn said what he thought might work which was still diplomatic enough to not totally rip JR.

Heck I was all in on Rodon and offering him a year ago - but if my owner / boss told me he didn’t like it - Rodon qb would not have been the hill I died on. That would have been asking for more funds for a Harper by talking about the broader business value that move would have had. 

I still think there was a handshake deal to not offer the QO the year before when he signed for a low amount.  It may nto have been written in the contract.

That is the only reason I would see for not giving the QO...but it also helps to make Hahn not look like a complete fool.

13 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m all for being aggressive with prospects…but I don’t think Montgomery is even a thought for any part of ‘23. Maybe September best case scenario 

Colas is a different story…yes, he should be factored heavily into 2023 plans. Hopefully he’s starting opening day. 

I agree.

I'd put Montgomery's ETA as second half of 2024 at this point unless he has a monster 2023. Ideal pathway would be Birmingham for three months and finish the season at Charlotte, then Charlotte for the first few months next year followed by a call up. 

Why isn't the assumption that Colas is the starting RF from day 1?  He got the rust off last year from sitting out.

He is too old to be held back for service time purposes.

That leaves another LH OF bat and maybe 2B.  A defensive LF preferably LHH is about all they are looking for now.

I would love Cueto but I think they go with AAA swing starter similar to Velazquez and some AAAA outfielders that can defend / add speed.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Why isn't the assumption that Colas is the starting RF from day 1?  He got the rust off last year from sitting out.

He is too old to be held back for service time purposes.

That leaves another LH OF bat and maybe 2B.  A defensive LF preferably LHH is about all they are looking for now.

I would love Cueto but I think they go with AAA swing starter similar to Velazquez and some AAAA outfielders that can defend / add speed.

If they weren't going to play some sort of service time game with him, there was zero reason to leave him in the minor leagues in September of last year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they weren't going to play some sort of service time game with him, there was zero reason to leave him in the minor leagues in September of last year. 

Maybe to avoid whatever s%*# show was going on in that clubhouse.  Thinking this way makes me feel better this winter than the thought of watching Sheets/Garcia play RF for a month.  Colas psyche seems rather fragile so I'm not certain how it is going to go.

With Tony at the helm there is no guarantee he would have played him last year.

I'm trying to black out the last two years. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Maybe to avoid whatever s%*# show was going on in that clubhouse.  Thinking this way makes me feel better this winter than the thought of watching Sheets/Garcia play RF for a month.  Colas psyche seems rather fragile so I'm not certain how it is going to go.

It would be not even 3 full weeks at a time of year where there are a decent amount of days off and rain outs.