Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Gun to your head:

Will the Sox end up with one of these four players on the 2023 roster?:  Conforto, Benintendi, Gallo, Nimmo

Yes, and in order of likelihood:
Benintendi
Gallo
Conforto
Nimmo

I think there's more interest in Conforto, and another team will pay him more.  Nimmo is going to get a longer term deal with more money, so...  Benintendi or Gallo seem to be most likely because of cost and adding a LH bat.

I’d rather not commit to multiple years of Benintendi.  I think the worst you can do in free agency is commit multiple to average positional players.  Either go get a Conforto or Bellinger on a one year deal or trade for someone more impactful.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d rather not commit to multiple years of Benintendi.  I think the worst you can do in free agency is commit multiple to average positional players.  Either go get a Conforto or Bellinger on a one year deal or trade for someone more impactful.

This is absolutely where I am at.  1 year ago the majority of this board wanted nothing to do with Benintendi when the Red Sox were trying to move him. Conforto - Bellinger - Benintendi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Gun to my head?

Yes, but only for Benintendi (Conforto and Nimmo will be out of our price range.

I'd rather take the bullet than Gallo.

I actually wouldn't hate Gallo.  His defense is solid, and getting out of NY could help.  I know it's scary because of our history with the Adam Dunns of the world, but if we aren't going to spend for Nimmo, I wouldn't be mad if we signed Gallo.

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Gun to your head:

Will the Sox end up with one of these four players on the 2023 roster?:  Conforto, Benintendi, Gallo, Nimmo

No they won't sign any of those choices.   JR is not spending on any of them although Benintendi would be my choice if the Sox find the resources.  Nimmo is looking for a BIG contract and won't be signing here. Think more along the lines of Kiermaier,  Pham, Peralta, or Grossman.  This is the Chicago White Sox we're talking about, Colas will be brought up, and I have a feeling Eloy will split his time between DH and LF (Ugh) until he get's injured.

I hope they trade for Gleyber Torres. We can send the Yankee's Kelly, Graveman, and Hendricks if that what it takes and find some solutions to replace them within the organization. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

That would be atrocious outfield production. 

But much more viable if one of Conforto/Benintendi/Gallo/Bellinger are also added.  In that scenario, Frazier is only playing the OF everyday for like 3 weeks until Colas arrives.  Then he flips to the 2nd base mix / 4th OF.  He was awful in 22, but he'd be a solid complementary piece, but an awful main add.  

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Gun to your head:

I think so, yah though I'd probably add Bellinger to the list. Really hoping they splash for Nimmo, but I know its super unlikely.  

7 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

No they won't sign any of those choices.   JR is not spending on any of them although Benintendi would be my choice if the Sox find the resources.  Nimmo is looking for a BIG contract and won't be signing here. Think more along the lines of Kiermaier,  Pham, Peralta, or Grossman.  This is the Chicago White Sox we're talking about, Colas will be brought up, and I have a feeling Eloy will split his time between DH and LF (Ugh) until he get's injured.

I hope they trade for Gleyber Torres. We can send the Yankee's Kelly, Graveman, and Hendricks if that what it takes and find some solutions to replace them within the organization. 

Lol, whaaaaa

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Gun to your head:

No, I think they trade for an OF with a slightly lower salary than Conforto or Benintendi will command. Gallo doesn't hit enough singles for our Gm. 

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Benintendi is not average. I don’t know why you keep saying this.

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Benintendi is not average. I don’t know why you keep saying this.

In terms of WAR, a league average starter will produce about 2 WAR (https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/war/). If you had 9 average starters (18 WAR), 5 average pitchers (10 WAR), an average bullpen (4 WAR), and a little on your bench, you wind up with low 30s in terms of WAR for the team that that sets you up to be about a .500 ballclub.

Last year Benintendi produced 2.8, slightly above average. The year before that 1.7, slightly below average for a starter. His projected number for next year is in-between those at 2.3, essentially an average starter. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Yankee's need relievers, we need a 2B.  If we're to rid ourselves of those 3 contracts we would have lot's of money to spend on one of those outfielders mentioned in the original post.  Nimmo and Robert patrolling the outfield with Colas would look pretty good.

We also don't solve a lack of lineup balance at all, Gleyber is not a good 2B, and we now have a horrific bullpen.  Gleyber also is due around $10M in arb, so not exactly cheap either. 

I guess if you turn around and sign Nimmo I like it a bit better, but removing our best 2 relievers and then a guy that at least has a great arm and track record and should rebound to at least being serviceable....the pen would be awful.  

28 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I actually wouldn't hate Gallo.  His defense is solid, and getting out of NY could help.  I know it's scary because of our history with the Adam Dunn's of the world, but if we aren't going to spend for Nimmo, I wouldn't be mad if we signed Gallo.

This plus the new shift rules actually makes him a personal favorite target of mine.  He's got bounceback written all over him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This plus the new shift rules actually makes him a personal favorite target of mine.  He's got bounceback written all over him.

I wasn't thinking about the shift rule change.  I do think getting out of NY will help him.  He'll never be a high average hitter, but he could absolutely hit a s%*# ton of home runs at the Rate.  And his defense would be very nice improvement compared to what we've seen recently.