Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We also don't solve a lack of lineup balance at all, Gleyber is not a good 2B, and we now have a horrific bullpen.  Gleyber also is due around $10M in arb, so not exactly cheap either. 

I guess if you turn around and sign Nimmo I like it a bit better, but removing our best 2 relievers and then a guy that at least has a great arm and track record and should rebound to at least being serviceable....the pen would be awful.  

Sox have used far too much money signing relievers in the past when a lot of teams get by with players developed from within the organization.  We need to spend money on player's that can play on the field 5-7 day's a week, instead of relievers who pitch to 3 batters.  Torres had a 4.1 WAR and hit 24 HR's last year, I'll take any defensive shortcomings for that any day out of 2B.  Torres committed 7 errors at 2B last year and 1 at SS in 140 games.  While he doesn't solve the need for LH batter, use the money saved to sign one.

12 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I wasn't thinking about the shift rule change.  I do think getting out of NY will help him.  He'll never be a high average hitter, but he could absolutely hit a s%*# ton of home runs at the Rate.  And his defense would be very nice improvement compared to what we've seen recently.

While "Mental stuff" doesn't factor into this, for left handed hitters over several years, the Rate is basically comparable to Yankee Stadium in terms of how easy it is to hit home runs. 

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Gun to your head:

Will the Sox end up with one of these four players on the 2023 roster?:  Conforto, Benintendi, Gallo, Nimmo

If death is on the line, I'm gonna take the safe bet and say no.  But I could see Gallo or Benintendi if I squint.  Maybe.  I just get the feeling we are in for an Adam Eaton & Matt Davidson trades sort of winter.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I totally disagree on Gallo. He was the same when he went to LA, and the shift isn't going to change him much. He's a 3 outcome guy. If he all of a sudden starts sneaking grounders into RF, watch teams move the RF to where the 2B has been playing him in recent years and play with 2 OFs.

Actually pretty much everything underlying improved when he left NY.  His line drive percentage was up 4 percentage points.  His hard hit % was up almost 8 point.  His HR% was up about 10% over NYC.  His exit velocity went up over 3 mph to a level he hadn't seen since Texas.

His OPS was up 50.

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Tea leaves....Cubs sign one of Correa or Swanson and move Nico Hoerner to 2nd. Wait for it...Madrigal returns to Southside as 2nd baseman for '23 and beyond. 

If the Cubs took Joe Kelly and his bad deal straight up, that would be a yes from me then.  Call it a reverse Kimbrel. 

25 minutes ago, Flash said:

Tea leaves....Cubs sign one of Correa or Swanson and move Nico Hoerner to 2nd. Wait for it...Madrigal returns to Southside as 2nd baseman for '23 and beyond. 

Why would the Sox go back on Madrigal?  Even if you want to believe the Sox had something to do with his performance here (Tony or whoever) he was even worse last year with the Cubs, and just as unhealthy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because he’s a two win player and the exact definition of average.  Tell me how he’s above average exactly.

He was 20% better than league average offensively in 2022 and that was in a down power year to boot. That’s inherently not “average”. He was also a 3 win player, not a 2 win player.

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

He was 20% better than league average offensively in 2022 and that was in a down power year to boot. That’s inherently not “average”. He was also a 3 win player, not a 2 win player.

And he was a league average hitter in a 1,000+ PAs from 2019 to 2021.  Why are we suddenly buying that he’s a 120+ wRC+ hitter?  Do you really expect him to bat .300 again?  I fully expect him to be a 2 win player moving forward and I’d rather not commit to that level of production.

if we had to choose between getting someone with power or someone left-handed (because we can't have both) i'd choose power. Gallo not sure he qualifies for power anymore but he's probably a good buy low. I have zero expectaitons he'll be good for us. What are the odds!

Honestly team desperately needs an andruw jones like pickup.

19 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s not a service time thing, it’s that it’s rare that players are immediately consistent key contributors upon their first taste of the big leagues. It would just be a very bad plan to go into the season where you’re “expecting to compete” completely reliant on a rookie who is statistically more likely to fail a time or two than to succeed.

Even if you think the kid is special and very ready, you AT LEAST have to have a substantial hedge. That’s no indictment on Colas; for every Juan Soto, there are like 20 Aramis Ramirezes 

We are aligned - it is also why I think it makes sense to make one nice upgrade and than another short term one and than have Colas. They are enough bats to go around but get ways to upgrade outfield defense and speed and reduce pressure on Colas. Let him start in aaa and he can ease his way in when inevitable injury or something else happens. 

I still like idea of Belly or Benitendi (preference is short term deals - may not be realistic with Beni) and than if I had my luck I would trade prospects for a good cost controlled outfield (has to be good defender and ideally a lefty). 

When any of these guys go down - you still have Eloy who is a getting time plus Colas or whatever so much better depth and than defensively you are significantly better! 

Watching the playoffs, and especially the World Series, showed me how far away this White Sox team is from being a serious contender.  I realize there have been teams with less talent who went far in the playoffs, but that requires everyone to play at or above their potential for the entire playoffs.  The 2022 Sox team was really bad in that respect.  I know there were injuries, but there was way too much just plain underperforming.  Sure, the leadership (or lack thereof) was a factor, but it was just a bad team playing bad baseball.

I do expect the energy to be different.  A real manager and coaching staff is a huge plus.  But they need some serious upgrades.  A power hitting OF, hopefully one who hits from the left, is paramount.  A real second baseman is also important.  If they are indeed not going to spend more than last season, they're going to have to make some trades.

If we go into 2023 with what we see now plus a few bargain bin additions, the 2023 White Sox will be only marginally better than 2022.  And marginally better doesn't cut it.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why would the Sox go back on Madrigal?  Even if you want to believe the Sox had something to do with his performance here (Tony or whoever) he was even worse last year with the Cubs, and just as unhealthy.

He's absolutely a guy I'd take back.. Just obviously his value has taken a major hit