Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's the point if they spend on bullshit? Bryce Harper ar $25.7M is more efficient than Keuchel+Kelly around the same. 

Couldn't agree with you anymore than I already do.  Look what Harper and Machado did in the playoffs, besides being leaders they performed in the clutch.

If you had to name one leader on the Sox it would of been Abreu, however he's more a leader by example, not saying that's bad, but we need a leader that can push the team with words.

Not signing Harper or Machado when we had the chance was the turning point in our rebuild. Instead we signed former stars who were past their prime. Keuchel, Kelly, Grandal. Not to mention the scrubs we thru out in the outfield, Eaton, Goodwin, Hamilton, Yermin, Gonzalez, Williams, and of course Leury.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Couldn't agree with you anymore than I already do.  Look what Harper and Machado did in the playoffs, besides being leaders they performed in the clutch.

If you had to name one leader on the Sox it would of been Abreu, however he's more a leader by example, not saying that's bad, but we need a leader that can push the team with words.

Not signing Harper or Machado when we had the chance was the turning point in our rebuild. Instead we signed former stars who were past their prime. Keuchel, Kelly, Grandal. Not to mention the scrubs we thru out in the outfield, Eaton, Goodwin, Hamilton, Yermin, Gonzalez, Williams, and of course Leury.

The Harper/Machado offseason was actually way worse than you're remembering. That's the offseason where they traded Narvaez for Colome (because Narvaez won't ever become a decent defensive catcher and the one thing my 60 win team needs is a closer), traded for Yonder Alonso (Friends and Family package!), signed Jon Jay, signed Ivan Nova, and signed Kelvin Herrera to a 2 year deal (because my 60 win team needs bullpen depth). That was also the year when they were supposed to be out of the penalty box in terms of international signings, but were so lazy about doing their job that they had money leftover to trade to Texas to get them to absorb Nate Jones's deal. (one positive note - after they had 0 catchers on their roster, this was the offseason they added McCann, but they also paid money for Welington Castillo).

That offseason set the White Sox back in ways that are still rippling through. They signed Grandal because they were too lazy to teach Narvaez anything. They added nearly $60 million to the payroll on a 60 win team with guys on 1-2 year deals - boy I can't think of a year where it would be better to use that than 2019. And they completely and utterly failed at using the playing time they had to develop long term solutions anywhere, so they have spent multiple years dumping money and talent into filling OF, bullpen, and bench slots. They gave playing time to develop key guys like Ryan Cordell, Charlie Tilson, and Daniel Palka in the OF, and worked to develop noted long term 2b option Yolmer Sanchez with 600 PAs. 

That was literally the offseason where they said "Now we can go back to doing things the way we want to do it and stop with all this planning ahead and thinking s***. Now let's go sign relievers!"

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Bryce Harper always made the most sense. He is a LH masher that would have filled a massive hole in both the lineup and defensively in RF. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Harper/Machado offseason was actually way worse than you're remembering. That's the offseason where they traded Narvaez for Colome (because Narvaez won't ever become a decent defensive catcher and the one thing my 60 win team needs is a closer), traded for Yonder Alonso (Friends and Family package!), signed Jon Jay, signed Ivan Nova, and signed Kelvin Herrera to a 2 year deal (because my 60 win team needs bullpen depth). That was also the year when they were supposed to be out of the penalty box in terms of international signings, but were so lazy about doing their job that they had money leftover to trade to Texas to get them to absorb Nate Jones's deal. (one positive note - after they had 0 catchers on their roster, this was the offseason they added McCann, but they also paid money for Welington Castillo).

That offseason set the White Sox back in ways that are still rippling through. They signed Grandal because they were too lazy to teach Narvaez anything. They added nearly $60 million to the payroll on a 60 win team with guys on 1-2 year deals - boy I can't think of a year where it would be better to use that than 2019. And they completely and utterly failed at using the playing time they had to develop long term solutions anywhere, so they have spent multiple years dumping money and talent into filling OF, bullpen, and bench slots. 

That was literally the offseason where they said "Now we can go back to doing things the way we want to do it and stop with all this planning ahead and thinking s***. Now let's go sign relievers!"

You are correct, but the blame needs to go to the GM's (Hahn and Kenny) even tho KW is not the GM I don't think Hahn does anything without his blessing.  

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

You make a lot of interesting points and a lot of things could go right with these moves, but my hangup is: ReyLo as our closer.

Not to say he can't function as the closer, I just wonder if that's the move we make as a team trying to compete for the World Series? I get you don't know if a guy CAN close until you try him there, but that seems like a big risk to if we find out he CAN'T close.

That's a move you make if you're a year or two from contention but a gamble play in what is supposed to be a contention year.

Everything you're counting on this year to compete involves big risks but the Sox need money and they backed themselves into a corner handing out too much money to guys like Kelly in the BP.

Unfortunately you sometimes have to pay for your mistakes by giving up a tradable player near his peak. If a lot goes right and they need BP help there's always the trade deadline. It

It's all up to the guys from last year to stay healthy and perform better. By this time the Sox were supposed to have 4 or 5 guys better than ABreu but they haven't done so yet. The risk is will they ever do it all in the same year. That's what we are waiting for.

Gio, Hendriks and Jose Rodriguez for Gavin Lux and James Outman. 

Sign Quintana and Conforto 

SS- Anderson

2B- Lux

CF- Robert

DH- Eloy

RF- Conforto/Colas

1B- Vaughn

C- Yaz

3B- Yoan

LF- Outman/Colas

Cease, Lynn, Kopech, Q, Clevinger 

Martin, Diekman, Kelly, Lambert, Bummer, Graveman, Lopez

Sox should be looking at guys to upgrade the pen/be next guys up. Call them possible upside candidates. Not a lot of money - but I am tired of not at least trying and than seeing if any stick:

Tommy Kanhle could be a good fit. Was pretty good in final month for Dodgers after being hurt for forever. Fact he first came into seem with Sox could actually make this a plausible fit. 

Alex Reyes is also one of those take a flier guys. He is probably less likely to be super expensive but was an all star in 21. That said shoulder injuries are not good and he is always hurt. 

Archie Bradley could be another one - slightly more expensive than the other two but he really was banged up with Angels last year. Feels like if health is on his side he could be solid with a bit of upside. Probably not as good as the 4 year stretch he had but could be a solid bounce back candidate and I can’t imagine him getting much more than a few million. 

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sox should be looking at guys to upgrade the pen/be next guys up. Call them possible upside candidates. Not a lot of money - but I am tired of not at least trying and than seeing if any stick:

Tommy Kanhle could be a good fit. Was pretty good in final month for Dodgers after being hurt for forever. Fact he first came into seem with Sox could actually make this a plausible fit. 

Alex Reyes is also one of those take a flier guys. He is probably less likely to be super expensive but was an all star in 21. That said shoulder injuries are not good and he is always hurt. 

Archie Bradley could be another one - slightly more expensive than the other two but he really was banged up with Angels last year. Feels like if health is on his side he could be solid with a bit of upside. Probably not as good as the 4 year stretch he had but could be a solid bounce back candidate and I can’t imagine him getting much more than a few million. 

Agreed probably a few guys in the $1-$5M million range for the pen. Sign them trade Hendriks.

Sox need to trade some guys while at their peak once in a while when the farm sucks, especially when the Diaz contract is making Hendriks look more enticing. They can go for  MLB ready or guys in AA.

17 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Gio, Hendriks and Jose Rodriguez for Gavin Lux and James Outman. 

Sign Quintana and Conforto 

SS- Anderson

2B- Lux

CF- Robert

DH- Eloy

RF- Conforto/Colas

1B- Vaughn

C- Yaz

3B- Yoan

LF- Outman/Colas

Cease, Lynn, Kopech, Q, Clevinger 

Martin, Diekman, Kelly, Lambert, Bummer, Graveman, Lopez

I’d just off a bridge if the Sox even thought about that trade

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't kill the messenger.

Joe Kelly definitely didn’t have a good season but the arm is there and k I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he was a solid backend member of the pen in 23. Overpaid? Ya, sure. But he definitely became one of the TLR scapegoats for the fan base. 

• Like 2