Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Come on man. This is just not how it works. Convince Jerry to spend more? No shot. I respect the idealism but this is just not a real world thing. Do you think Ivy League GM's are clamoring for these 11 year signings for aging superstars? Hell no. These are rogue owners deciding that they want to spend money and win. Until Jerry decides to do the same (he won't), this is how it will be. 

Last offseason was botched for sure. The reliever contracts and Leury deal were bad and it might be hamstringing then now. That's on Rick Hahn but he's a middle manager at this point. 

No, not convincing Jerry to spend more. Understanding the market and having a plan. If ownership expects a payroll limit, he has to come up with plans that work under that limit. He has to be aware last offseason and especially at the trade deadline that financial restrictions are likely, be he clears out zero money and instead adds an unnecessarily expensive lefty who stinks? If he has only $10 million to spend, why is he signing Clevinger? If he thinks he can compete with that budget, why isn’t he selling Montgomery to make it happen? If he thinks he can’t compete on that budget then why isnt he taking more clear steps to reset things for the long term? Because he believes this is a good strategy too.

They always say it’s a partnership, they regularly consult on these things, but posts like yours try to present him as an innocent bystander who could do nothing with these payroll restrictions, which just isn’t true. Rick Hahn isn’t sitting there wishing he could sign a $300 million deal while being blocked by JR, he doesn’t believe in those deals either.

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

Glad we got rid of Abreu and used all that money we "saved" to get..... no one. But hey we get to watch Vaughn and his defense at 1B next year. That's what counts. 

Just hope one of the youngest players on the team can make it more than 120 games without getting sore legs.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:59 AM, Jack Parkman said:

Don't kill the messenger.

This was an old tweet, but it's so hilarious to me. As someone who has made a career in analytics, has a degree in the world of analytics, and loves baseball statistics and data.... how broken does your brain have to be to claim a RP who had an ERA over 6 actually had a good year because of metrics that don't actually impact the small sample scoreboard for a reliever. No reliever with a 6 ERA has ever had a good year.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What are you expecting? They don't have any money to spend. I think it'll be a Gallo type free agent in LF and Colas in RF. Maybe they add a 2B for cheap. The pitching staff is basically set. What is the alternative here? They should spend money but the owner won't. Because of that, you can improve your weaknesses slightly and take a stab at the division or you can change up the mix by moving guys like TA, Giolito and Hendriks. Doesn't seem like they want to do the latter. I think they'll bank on health, lineup flexibility and guys bouncing back and if that doesn't happen they'll have quite a bit to trade at the trade deadline. 

I mean, if we’re actually trying to win, why not make some sort of bold trade?  I 100% believe this team will be massively better next year with a new manager and hopefully better health, but it’s still the same roster that hasn’t made it past the first round of the playoffs and just lost its best hitter.  This plan just reeks of the typical half-assed approach we’ve come to known from this franchise.

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What are you expecting? They don't have any money to spend. 

They don't have any money to spend because it was wasted last offseason by the Front Office.  And they have so many holes because the rebuild was ridiculously thin, with marginal improvement, if that,  in the farm and player development.  The first good season out of a 3/4 year rebuild and the farm is ranked #30.  Inexcusable.  The FO didn't even try to shore up infrastructure (analytics, e.g.) that could compensate for the owner's reluctance to signed high price players.  Now why JR puts up with such a FO is beyond me; there's no way he tolerates poor performance in his non-baseball businesses.

Edited by GreenSox

17 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

I honestly think Hahn doesn’t know what to do. 

I honestly think Hahn got a pitcher because they needed one and that's all he's allowed to do because JR said no to much else . So I'm not upset because of HAHN's lack of participation in FA, I'm upset that he's not allowed to by JR.

That would be my rationale if I had participated in that poll  to be in the minority of voters. Hahn's just a puppet being controlled by the puppeteer . I can't be upset with an inanimate object.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Vaughn's first base defense is fine. 

Fine....yes that's an interesting way of putting poor to bad. His DRS over a full season is going to be really fun to look at.

Didn't you want Abreu gone everytime he came up for contract? 

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, not convincing Jerry to spend more. Understanding the market and having a plan. If ownership expects a payroll limit, he has to come up with plans that work under that limit. He has to be aware last offseason and especially at the trade deadline that financial restrictions are likely, be he clears out zero money and instead adds an unnecessarily expensive lefty who stinks? If he has only $10 million to spend, why is he signing Clevinger? If he thinks he can compete with that budget, why isn’t he selling Montgomery to make it happen? If he thinks he can’t compete on that budget then why isnt he taking more clear steps to reset things for the long term? Because he believes this is a good strategy too.

They always say it’s a partnership, they regularly consult on these things, but posts like yours try to present him as an innocent bystander who could do nothing with these payroll restrictions, which just isn’t true. Rick Hahn isn’t sitting there wishing he could sign a $300 million deal while being blocked by JR, he doesn’t believe in those deals either.

I disagree vehemently on the last part. You're kidding yourself if you think Rick Hahn wouldn't have given Manny Machado $300 million to seal the deal. The front office should've been fired. These guys aren't good at operating in the fashion that is required under the ownership of Jerry Reinsdorf. It's really hard though. He runs his team like a small/mid market operation but doesn't get any of the perks that those teams do. They don't invest in infrastructure in the minors, internationally or in regards to player health. All are tenants of Jerry Reinsdorf's other professional organization as well surprisingly. Not spending on huge free agents is fine but signing five bad players instead of 1 good one is absolutely a Kenny Williams ideology for sure. Hahn isn't good enough to work under the Reinsdorfian practices. I'm not sure if anyone really is though in 2022 and he wouldn't hire anyone outside of the organization to try because he'd have to hear outside perspectives confirming his archaic methods. 

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, if we’re actually trying to win, why not make some sort of bold trade?  I 100% believe this team will be massively better next year with a new manager and hopefully better health, but it’s still the same roster that hasn’t made it past the first round of the playoffs and just lost its best hitter.  This plan just reeks of the typical half-assed approach we’ve come to known from this franchise.

Yeah it sounds great. I'm just not sure what that trade looks like and its sounds like the trade market is basically nonexistent right now 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Fine....yes that's an interesting way of putting poor to bad. His DRS over a full season is going to be really fun to look at.

I did because he didn't fit with the rest of the roster. I think Andrew Vaughn is going to be really good though. 

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

What is your evidence for claiming Vaughn's 1B defense is poor/bad?

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I did because he didn't fit with the rest of the roster. I think Andrew Vaughn is going to be really good though. 

Well you got your wish. We got rid of a superior player right now in a window of contention. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I disagree vehemently on the last part. You're kidding yourself if you think Rick Hahn wouldn't have given Manny Machado $300 million to seal the deal. The front office should've been fired. These guys aren't good at operating in the fashion that is required under the ownership of Jerry Reinsdorf. It's really hard though. He runs his team like a small/mid market operation but doesn't get any of the perks that those teams do. They don't invest in infrastructure in the minors, internationally or in regards to player health. All are tenants of Jerry Reinsdorf's other professional organization as well surprisingly. Not spending on huge free agents is fine but signing five bad players instead of 1 good one is absolutely a Kenny Williams ideology for sure. Hahn isn't good enough to work under the Reinsdorfian practices. I'm not sure if anyone really is though in 2022 and he wouldn't hire anyone outside of the organization to try because he'd have to hear outside perspectives confirming his archaic methods. 

Yeah it sounds great. I'm just not sure what that trade looks like and its sounds like the trade market is basically nonexistent right now 

This is such bullshit. I honestly have no idea why so many continue to carry water for Hahn by making these excuses.

Kenny Williams won much more than Rick Hahn as the GM of the team. With his trades, his signings, his moves... Rick Hahn has one of the worst track records in FA in MLB history. Even if you want to argue he can't sign big deals, there have been plenty of ways to supplement and add depth to this roster with the 195 million he was allowed to spend without wasting 15-20 million a year on complete garbage. 

Big contracts are Jerry's fault... now the small contracts are Kenny's fault. 

GTFOH with that.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What is your evidence for claiming Vaughn's 1B defense is poor/bad?

His UZR from Bill James is about -5 to -9. His DRS over a full season translates to about -10/-11. Fangraphs overall for his career (290 Total innings) is -1.3. DRS is -5. It's not trending in a good direction for such a small amount of innings. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What would you have done to bring back Abreu? He's back at 1B on a 3/60 deal. What's the rest of your plan? 

Nothing you run it back. That's clearly the best they can do now. What are they doing now as he's gone? 

Looking back at it that was probably their plan. 

Edited by Baron

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is such bullshit. I honestly have no idea why so many continue to carry water for Hahn by making these excuses.

Kenny Williams won much more than Rick Hahn as the GM of the team. With his trades, his signings, his moves... Rick Hahn has one of the worst track records in FA in MLB history. Even if you want to argue he can't sign big deals, there have been plenty of ways to supplement and add depth to this roster with the 195 million he was allowed to spend without wasting 15-20 million a year on complete garbage. 

Big contracts are Jerry's fault... now the small contracts are Kenny's fault. 

GTFOH with that.

I don't know if you know this but Ken Williams is Rick Hahn's boss. And they should both be fired. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know if you know this but Ken Williams is Rick Hahn's boss. And they should both be fired. 

Great; I don't know if you know this, but most people have bosses but they're still responsible for doing their job.

Constantly excusing away Hahn's actions as Kenny and Jerry meddling is just laughable. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

His UZR from Bill James is about -5 to -9. His DRS over a full season translates to about -10/-11. Fangraphs overall for his career (290 Total innings) is -1.3. DRS is -5. It's not trending in a good direction for such a small amount of innings. 

How about we let him consistently play 1B and then make these assumptions.  There is a strong possibility that he gets better playing his natural position for the whole year instead of small sample sizes.  

This team and organization piss us off but let's be practical with some of the criticism  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

How many innings has he played at first base? There's no question that he's the worst defensive outfielder in the entire sport. How would Jose Abreu have fared in an outfield corner because that's essentially what they asked Andrew Vaughn to do. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

you're not sure if any GM is good enough to win with a 195 million dollar budget on the MLB roster. puhleeze

That's not what I mean. The roster assembled isn't good enough. They need to spend more money. It's the only way out. That is up to ownership though which has been my entire point. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

How many innings has he played at first base? There's no question that he's the worst defensive outfielder in the entire sport. How would Jose Abreu have fared in an outfield corner because that's essentially what they asked Andrew Vaughn to do. 

So which is it? He's fine or that he needs more innings before we judge him?