Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

The way things have shaped up in free agency, I'd trade Hendriks and Graveman for some of the Dodgers AAA guys that are essentially ready.  Plug them into the OF and 2B.  Colas can arrive in June and platoon or replace.  Maybe sign a journeyman reliever and have at it.

Then add reinforcements at the deadline if the club is in a pennant race.  If not, you sell any expiring vet contracts if they have value.  

Standing pat with the most expensive bullpen in the league (league history?) seems like a waste of resources if one or two guys could be turned into pre-arb position players that would plug right into the lineup.  

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 2

Nah JR is going to sign Conforto. Also will sign garbage pail OF/2b vets for all for the low low price $25M  so they don't have to play Sheets or Eloy in the OF and can keep Colas down because those garbage pail vets will surely outproduce Colas offensively and defensively.

After all he is just a rookie without hardly any time in AAA . He has to earn playing time for the mighty White Sox. And those garbage pail pickups will make all the difference. It's extremely unlikely anyway Colas will be good enough to earn the Sox a supplemental draft pick so why even bother to play him from the beginning of the season ? Playoffs here we come !

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I have no idea how legit this guy is, but he’s had some guesses in the past that were pretty close.  Interesting as I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere.

If true it best be for more than Jansen.  He's dead wrong about the Sox biggest deficit being catching though, which makes me question the info.  Sadly Rick Hahn is dumb enough to do this deal.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have no idea how legit this guy is, but he’s had some guesses in the past that were pretty close.  Interesting as I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere.

"White Sox biggest lineup deficit is their catching" is really all I needed to hear to know this guy doesn't know jackshit beyond the Jays perhaps being interested in Liam.

Trading Liam for Jansen would be an awful move for the Sox. The Jays also need LH OF so they can't really help us there.  Do not like them as a trade partner at all. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

"White Sox biggest lineup deficit is their catching" is really all I needed to hear to know this guy doesn't know jackshit beyond the Jays perhaps being interested in Liam.

Trading Liam for Jansen would be an awful move for the Sox. The Jays also need LH OF so they can't really help us there.  Do not like them as a trade partner at all. 

They already traded away Teoscar, Biggo and a catcher are really their only spare parts.  I don't know much about their system, but if they had any LH OH power in the upper minors they wouldn't give it up when its their biggest need too.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think people are underestimating how strong Jansen’s trade value is 

I'd be livid. We'd be blowing a major trade asset to get back another catcher, one who's played more than 80 games once with 2 years of control left.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think people are underestimating how strong Jansen’s trade value is 

Two years of an above average catcher should have value.  Its just a bad fit.  Jansen isn't even a guarantee to be better than Yaz in 2023, and Yaz isn't moveable and Seby isn't optionable.  So we're blowing our main trade chip that theoretically still allows us to compete to get a third catcher, meanwhile leaving our 2 gaping holes in the OF unsolved, and 2B still a bunch of rookies, and still paying Yaz $18.25M? It doesn't make any sense.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two years of an above average catcher should have value.  Its just a bad fit.  Jansen isn't even a guarantee to be better than Yaz in 2023, and Yaz isn't moveable and Seby isn't optionable.  So we're blowing our main trade chip that theoretically still allows us to compete to get a third catcher, meanwhile leaving our 2 gaping holes in the OF unsolved, and 2B still a bunch of rookies, and still paying Yaz $18.25M? It doesn't make any sense.  

no sense.

I don’t disagree, but I think it’s very possible the Sox have lost faith in Grandal and want to move on from him.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I don’t disagree, but I think it’s very possible the Sox have lost faith in Grandal and want to move on from him.

Yeah, I guess.  But you're paying him regardless so may as well try to make something of it.  

I guess if you use the saved $ to turn around and sign Conforto, perhaps get Biggo back in the deal as well, and have a trade lined up to get some back of the rotation SP depth for Seby, I could live with it.  But its just a weird strategy.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I guess.  But you're paying him regardless so may as well try to make something of it.  

I guess if you use the saved $ to turn around and sign Conforto, perhaps get Biggo back in the deal as well, and have a trade lined up to get some back of the rotation SP depth for Seby, I could live with it.  But its just a weird strategy.  

yes.  If this was the plan, I could live with it.

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would any team be willing to take on Grandal’s salary (or some of it, at least) in a trade?  Maybe Detroit?  I thought I read they were willing to take on salary if the right deal came along. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Also seems way too complicated for Hahn to successfully pull off. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

A random "hot" playoff team seems to win 2 out of 5 world series.  Feel like the Sox are still holding onto that scratch off ticket. 

Also, if this is your taek, it is completely reasonable, but you should be clamoring for a complete teardown with any available funds going towards buying bad contracts paired with prospects.  Not sad that we didn't get Nimmo/Abreu/Rodon or whatever was the dream ceiling this offseason... because I still don't think that makes us the Astros. 

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

A random "hot" playoff team seems to win 2 out of 5 world series.  Feel like the Sox are still holding onto that scratch off ticket. 

Also, if this is your taek, it is completely reasonable, but you should be clamoring for a complete teardown with any available funds going towards buying bad contracts paired with prospects.  Not sad that we didn't get Nimmo/Abreu/Rodon or whatever was the dream ceiling this offseason... because I still don't think that makes us the Astros. 

I have been wanting a complete teardown since mid-season. 

I don't want Hahn in charge of said teardown. 

It has also been my take since midseason 2021. The roster is too flawed and they're nowhere close to Houston and NYY. 

Houston has represented the AL 4 times in the WS since 2017. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have been wanting a complete teardown since mid-season. 

I don't want Hahn in charge of said teardown. 

It has also been my take since midseason 2021. The roster is too flawed and they're nowhere close to Houston and NYY. 

Houston has represented the AL at least 3 times off the top of my head since 2017. 

I didn't know that was your account.  I was responding more to the tweet than your general posts here. 

The idea that it doesn't matter because we aren't the Astros is flawed.  It does matter. You either do the best with your current situation (Trade Liam if the budget is tapped, fill one hole and then use the funds to fill the other), take your pot odds and hope to beat a better team in a short series OR you trade Cease and tear it all down.

The idea of just "acceptance" (Peralta and see what happens?) is the only really wrong answer (for me).

Edited by GREEDY