Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

22 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

For the fifteenth year in a row, the Sox don't have enough SP depth. I don't expect it to be addressed directly, but I'm hoping for at least one veteran minor league signing as camp gets closer.

You have to imagine the Sox would be pretty attractive landing spots for milb guys with the Sox having literally no depth anywhere ---- SP, OF and middle IF don't need much to go wrong to have an MLB role. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, Balta1701 said:

You’ll be in the Finger Lakes area of upstate New York. Tons of parks and outdoor spots, lots of waterfalls. Within driving distance of a neat glass museum in Corning NY, could drive to the Poconos or Syracuse or the lakefront.

384F77A8-042C-4A75-9BB3-A46389A9159B.jpeg

Assuming you can avoid the snow CNY-WNY is a beautiful fantasyland.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Posting in this instead of the Hendriks support thread, but Hahn needs to be looking to add another reliever now.  

Hahn right now

birdman-hand-rub.gif

In all seriousness though, I don't think they need another reliever. Losing Hendriks sucks, but they can probably make it work with what they have. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Hahn right now

birdman-hand-rub.gif

In all seriousness though, I don't think they need another reliever. Losing Hendriks sucks, but they can probably make it work with what they have. 

This is a sad situation but this is a very funny post lol

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Posting in this instead of the Hendriks support thread, but Hahn needs to be looking to add another reliever now.  

I had actually said the next move had to be for a reliever when the Hendriks trade stuff was running rampant in order for them to be proactive and have a replacement reliever already in the fold first in case all the talk about trading Hendriks or another reliever was true.

Right after I said it they picked up the guy from the Giants but I was hoping for someone with a way better track record.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I had actually said the next move had to be for a reliever when the Hendriks trade stuff was running rampant in order for them to be proactive and have a replacement reliever already in the fold first in case all the talk about trading Hendriks or another reliever was true.

Right after I said it they picked up the guy from the Giants but I was hoping for someone with a way better track record.

Congrats. 

Something about "I was right" bragging posts doesn't sit particularly well with me given the topic. This is literally a "No, no one could have predicted or planned for this" setup.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sox should give a guy like Ken Giles or Alex Reyes a shot. Try to get a boom or bust type of signing. You probably could get Giles on a NRI with the possibility of closing as an enticement. No idea what the health status is on either of these guys though.

Yeah either guy for sure. Trevor Rosenthal as well. No idea how his health is though and too lazy to look.

Luis Robert is in game shape.    If this is his personal trainer he needs to be fired yesterday.   Part of the offseason plan was for these guys to take care of their body and get into a shape that can extend through the season without any major issues.  That looks to be an abject failure here. 

Edited by southsideirish71

21 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Luis Robert is in game shape.    If this is his personal trainer he needs to be fired yesterday.   Part of the offseason plan was for these guys to take care of their body and get into a shape that can extend through the season without any major issues.  That looks to be an abject failure here. 

I don't know how it will translate to baseball, but it looks like a pretty intense exercise to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would have been dead about six second in.

Yeah, for the older non athletes.  Sure its difficult.  But for elite athletes, that is a cake walk.   Just because I cant do it doesnt mean a professional athlete in their prime is held to the same standard.  

Edited by southsideirish71

For the remainder of the off-season:

• Stole this idea from someone else, but sign someone like Alex Reyes, Ken Giles, Trevor Rosenthal, etc (or two of these guys) to a one year deal and they can compete for the closer job with in-house guys.
  • Adam Duvall
  • Minor league deals to SP for depth

That's about it for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would have been dead about six second in.

haha, that reminds me of the time my wife and I saw the Tom Hanks movie "Castaway" in the theater.  After the movie, she asked me, "Do you think you could have survived on that island?"  My response...."honey, I wouldn't have made it outta that plane."

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, wegner said:

haha, that reminds me of the time my wife and I saw the Tom Hanks movie "Castaway" in the theater.  After the movie, she asked me, "Do you think you could have survived on that island?"  My response...."honey, I wouldn't have made it outta that plane."

That movie made me make sure I could light a fire. I feel like I wouldn't have had as much problem as him with the coconuts though. 

The rope making was impressive, I'll give him that.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know how it will translate to baseball, but it looks like a pretty intense exercise to me.

Yeah, looks like a pretty intense cardio workout to me.  Luis is already jacked, if it improves his flexibility and endurance I see nothing wrong here. 

Edited by Tnetennba

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

For the remainder of the off-season:

• Stole this idea from someone else, but sign someone like Alex Reyes, Ken Giles, Trevor Rosenthal, etc (or two of these guys) to a one year deal and they can compete for the closer job with in-house guys.
  • Adam Duvall
  • Minor league deals to SP for depth

That's about it for me.

Quality 4th OF and SP depth are my priorities.  I want a 2B addition but I just don’t see it happening sadly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wegner said:

What are you doin, Wegner?! We expect you out of that plane damn it.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Looks like the Sox got rid of Jose and have added very little to the roster.

Their scouts must be super high on Burger, Eloy, Robert, Colas, Vaughn and Sheets. Screams bad defense to me. And Sox must be high on their bullpen arms. I know we added one starter I think?

My point? Boring offseason and the powers that be are showing faith in the rebuild core exploding on the scene this year??

How anybody could buy season tickets is beyond me unless they have a lot of money and like to have something to do 80 days a year.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Looks like the Sox got rid of Jose and have added very little to the roster.

Their scouts must be super high on Burger, Eloy, Robert, Colas, Vaughn and Sheets. Screams bad defense to me. And Sox must be high on their bullpen arms. I know we added one starter I think?

My point? Boring offseason and the powers that be are showing faith in the rebuild core exploding on the scene this year??

How anybody could buy season tickets is beyond me unless they have a lot of money and like to have something to do 80 days a year.

Bad defense? Have you not watched the Sox the passed two years?