Your GM & Manager 2023 Preference

Bossanoveralls

I wasn't sure if you meant new ownership which would be just about anyone, 42 years of JR is enough. 

In the actual Baseball end of things I would steal Kevin Cash from the Rays and their front office personal along with whoever they have managing, coaching and scouting in the Rays farm system.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

I know Cashman will be somewhat of a popular name, and I can see the benefit of a guy who knows a lot of people and what to do...but it also sorta feels like a john fox hire. I have no idea whether he was constrained by the constant push to build via top free agents, or if he was buoyed by their constant ability to buy top free agents.

I think a lot of their stuff is good but he had uber resources and built a lot of weird rosters. But when it seemed like he really took the reigns he had that incredible 2016 shift on the fly.

• Like 3

No one I have ever heard of.

Do a series of actual interviews for the GM position. Actually evaluate who is qualified and what someone's plan is for the future and how to fix this. I know very few executives around baseball outside of people in the White Sox's organization, defaulting to the next random white guy in the White Sox's organization would be a terrible idea.

Then, get this - actually let the GM do a coaching search! The GM should bring in a dozen people and interview them. This should be a diverse group, the interviews with non-white candidates should be honest, they should not be sham interviews because someone has already decided on hiring a white retread manager. People with experience, people without experience. People from the US and elsewhere. I would be ok interviewing Beltran even. Then, the GM narrows the field based on the interviews and - get this - brings people in for a second interview before making a decision on a position with a 7-figure salary. Then, even more remarkably - the GM and head coach work together to pick out their remaining staff!

The absolute utter worst thing they could do is pick a coach or Gm from inside the organization without bothering to do a search...again. That's how the last 3 have been decided and every one of them has been a terrible result. Please no begging former White Sox players to take the job either, plenty of people will be interested if you offer the job fairly. 

• Like 2

• Owner: Michael Jeffrey  Jordan Jerry Reinsdorf
  • President Baseball Operations: Dana Brown Kenny Williams
  • General Manager: Randy Flores Rick Hahn
  • Field Manager: Joe Espada Tony La Russa
  • Cable TV Announcers: Dan Shulman & David Wills  Jason Bennetti & Steve Stone
  • Spanish TV Announcers (162 Games on WSNS-TV Channel 44): Hector Molina & Ozzie Guillen
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

So how does this interview process begin?

Jerry puts an ad in the Sun-Times help wanted?

Does Jerry figure if he cleaned house, everyone would know it and would just wait to see who calls?

Jerry sends interview invites to people he picks out?

What if Jerry decides the 2nd worst mistake he ever made was firing the Hawkeroo as GM?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bossanoveralls said:

So how does this interview process begin?

Jerry puts an ad in the Sun-Times help wanted?

Does Jerry figure if he cleaned house, everyone would know it and would just wait to see who calls?

Jerry sends interview invites to people he picks out?

What if Jerry decides the 2nd worst mistake he ever made was firing the Hawkeroo as GM?

1. There are professional search firms whose job it is to contact and bring in candidates for such positions. If Kenny Williams wanted one of his last acts for the organization to be a part of hiring a new GM, I'm not sure if I'm ok with that or not - not without knowing who was actually doing what this season. We saw the Bears do something like this last year, the business people were a part of a committee along with a set of outside football people they paid to consult on this topic. Bring them in and let them do their job. See who actually has a plan and who stands out. Maybe they turn out to be failures, but how is that any different from the current mess?

2. At least he gets to fire LaRussa again. Seriously, if HH were to be brought in to be GM, he can't physically do the job, we all know that. He'd last months at most and then they'd be hiring someone else. He's not going to be taking calls at all hours of the night, organizing meetings with scouts, overseeing the draft, traveling to winter meetings, negotiating contracts, that's a huge amount of work. Even if he's still mentally perfectly sharp, he's not physically up to that task and I can't imagine he wants to be away from his family for 70 hours a week. He can come in, fire LaRussa, and retire. 

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • Owner: Michael Jeffery Jordan Jerry Reinsdorf
  • President Baseball Operations: Dana Brown Kenny Williams
  • General Manager: Randy Flores Rick Hahn
  • Field Manager: Joe Espada Tony La Russa
  • Cable TV Announcers: Dan Shulman & David Wells  Jason Bennetti & Steve Stone
  • Spanish TV Announcers (162 Games on WSNS-TV Channel 44): Hector Molina & Ozzie Guillen

Great list, South.

Although I really prefer to keep Stone & Bennetti. I kinda like 'em and I fear change.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Name who you want running the team next year.

Not just "a guy who will do this or that". Name people.

I'm not the guy to ask as I only follow the White Sox, so I would be clueless to anyone "outside the Sox org."

Who ya got?

Must be someone from outside the organization!!  

5 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Great list, South.

Although I really prefer to keep Stone & Bennetti. I kinda like 'em and I fear change.

David Wills is a lifelong Chicago White Sox fan, born and raised in Oak Lawn. Did pre-post game for the Sox and filled in for Dan Rooney back in the day. Left here for a promotion to work full time for the Rays as lead broadcaster, switches PBP and color in game with Andy Freed. Dan Shulman is the Blue Jays announcer and previously also did Sunday Night Baseball. Both would provide a solid White Sox Broadcast without the cornball act, or Steve Stones vitriol against Sox fans.

Broadcasting either all or a good number of games in Spanish (I’d also be for 40-50 games on WGN) over the air would help the Sox gain the growing number of fans vs and potential young fans among the growing number of people cutting cable.

The Sox can take over the city over the next generation with the Cubs limited to the pricy Marquee Network. It would be a reversal of fortunes from the 1980s, when Jerry sent Sox or fans of both teams to the Cubs after he shifted all broadcast games to Sportsvision, and the Cubs had Superstation WGN.

Would be smart to be the first team to present all games to the growing Spanish speaking fanbase, provides a venue for former Sox players to contribute, and non Spanish speaking fans can still watch. I watch the World Cup exclusively in Spanish, forgot the English speaking four letter network announcers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

David Wills is a lifelong Chicago White Sox fan, born and raised in Oak Lawn. Did pre-post game for the Sox and filled in for Dan Rooney back in the day. Left here for a promotion to work full time for the Rays as lead broadcaster, switches PBP and color in game with Andy Freed. Dan Shulman is the Blue Jays announcer and previously also did Sunday Night Baseball. Both would provide a solid White Sox Broadcast without the cornball act, or Steve Stones vitriol against Sox fans.

Broadcasting either all or a good number of games in Spanish (I’d also be for 40-50 games on WGN) over the air would help the Sox gain the growing number of fans vs and potential young fans among the growing number of people cutting cable.

The Sox can take over the city over the next generation with the Cubs limited to the pricy Marquee Network. It would be a reversal of fortunes from the 1980s, when Jerry sent Sox or fans of both teams to the Cubs after he shifted all broadcast games to Sportsvision, and the Cubs had Superstation WGN.

Would be smart to be the first team to present all games to the growing Spanish speaking fanbase, provides a venue for former Sox players to contribute, and non Spanish speaking fans can still watch. I watch the World Cup exclusively in Spanish, forgot the English speaking four letter network announcers. 

I'd sure give Wills & Shulman a chance. I don't honestly believe Stone or Bennetti will be back next year. Stone will retire and Bennetti will be on to bigger and better things.

Spanish broadcasts that don't include Ozzie would just be wrong on SO many levels.

Just please. God. No Len Kasper. Terminate that boogie-check, quit it. AAAAAARRRRGH!!!!

If Bennetti loves baseball he'd be dumb to leave. Once you get named to these gigs, teams keep you forever. So what if he could do college football, basketball. There aren't any nfl openings on the big networks are there? He's young. He should do the Sox gig until something huge huge comes along. He's got to be making great money and these side gigs must pay a ton.

How bout grab Rob Thompson from the Phils as manager. Worked in Yankee system forever. Knows winning. Pay him.

Bring back dave dombroski as GM. That's all.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I know Dave very well, he's a good friend and I can tell you as long as JR owns the franchise he wouldn't be interested in returning. He's very happy in Tampa. I've asked him about this possibility before.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I'd sure give Wills & Shulman a chance. I don't honestly believe Stone or Bennetti will be back next year. Stone will retire and Bennetti will be on to bigger and better things.

Spanish broadcasts that don't include Ozzie would just be wrong on SO many levels.

Just please. God. No Len Kasper. Terminate that boogie-check, quit it. AAAAAARRRRGH!!!!

Would likely be Len and Beckham in 2023 if Stone and Jason leave/aren’t asked back.

I just nominated who I would replace them with in this “dream thread”.

• TLR 1