Your GM & Manager 2023 Preference

Bossanoveralls

3 hours ago, flavum said:

Serious answer…if they could bring in a Tampa guy that knows what he’s doing, and Matt Quatraro is still a viable managerial candidate, why not? 

I agree with both points.  The Tampa FO has proved they are good evaluators of talent and operate with next to nothing for payroll.  Quatraro being from that organization might be expected to know a few things.  Jirschele will be my actual preference for the manager's job.  I'm getting on record with my Jirschele pick because that will be the front and center topic as soon as we finish this disappointing season.

13 hours ago, joejoesox said:

anyone who isn't from the NL or has a history with the White Sox, Cubs or Bears

Does the NL have a different set of leagues or something?

I’ve seen people complain about NL people like they wouldn’t know what to do or something.

The question is how much a new GM could actually do. Kyle boddy wrote about that a lot on twitter, the challenge is not to hire a biomechanics or an analytics guy but to force the old school baseball lifers to listen to them, old school guys are actively fighting that stuff and sometimes delete emails by analytics without reading them. 

So the key is to force the coaches to use that stuff and if needed fire them.

So if you hire a new GM and he wants to force the coaches to use more modern development and analytics stuff and they say no and run to jerry and then jerry supports those tenured guys over the new GM then that GM can't do much. 

This is an issue in many companies. A CEO has more power than an individual employee but if the middle management collaborates against a new CEO and says "this is how we always did it and we will continue like that" then often the new CEO can't do much and there won't be change. I have experienced that in a company and the newly brought in ceo quit after half a year because the middle management refused to change. 

Edited by Dominikk85

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

If Bennetti loves baseball he'd be dumb to leave. Once you get named to these gigs, teams keep you forever. So what if he could do college football, basketball. There aren't any nfl openings on the big networks are there? He's young. He should do the Sox gig until something huge huge comes along. He's got to be making great money and these side gigs must pay a ton.

How bout grab Rob Thompson from the Phils as manager. Worked in Yankee system forever. Knows winning. Pay him.

Bring back dave dombroski as GM. That's all.

Not always.  Boston has made a couple of major moves over the years. Sean McDonough was replaced after 20 years by Don Orsillo in 2001 and then he was replaced after 15 years.  Each was replaced and not left on their own. 

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

The question is how much a new GM could actually do. Kyle boddy wrote about that a lot on twitter, the challenge is not to hire a biomechanics or an analytics guy but to force the old school baseball lifers to listen to them, old school guys are actively fighting that stuff and sometimes delete emails by analytics without reading them. 

So the key is to force the coaches to use that stuff and if needed fire them.

So if you hire a new GM and he wants to force the coaches to use more modern development and analytics stuff and they say no and run to jerry and then jerry supports those tenured guys over the new GM then that GM can't do much. 

This is an issue in many companies. A CEO has more power than an individual employee but if the middle management collaborates against a new CEO and says "this is how we always did it and we will continue like that" then often the new CEO can't do much and there won't be change. I have experienced that in a company and the newly brought in ceo quit after half a year because the middle management refused to change. 

This sounds like the espionage going on in the Sox' dugout, too.

The players have collaborated against two managers this year and one for half of last year.

And they are still doing it to this very day. Did y'all see that game last night? I didn't, but I'm still gonna b**** about it anyway.

Recruit and steal away Mike Chertoff the GM of the Cleveland Guardians and make him president  of White Sox baseball total operations.

Tell Jerry he cannot get involved whatsoever, other than handing him a budget and payroll amount to spend. 

I would then trust Chertoff to hire the right manager, GM, and other key critical FO personnel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Recruit and steal away Mike Chertoff the GM of the Cleveland Guardians and make him president  of White Sox baseball total operations.

Tell Jerry he cannot get involved whatsoever, other than handing him a budget and payroll amount to spend. 

I would then trust Chertoff to hire the right manager, GM, and other key critical FO personnel.

We can dream but JR would never agree to those conditions even if the Lord himself presented himself and offered his services.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Knowing our luck we will end up with Chris Getz as GM and Willy Harris as Manager

Pre October 2020 Structure:

1. Jerry President / CEO Reinsdorf
  2. Direct Reports - (EVP) Howard Pizer & (SVP) Kenny Williams 
  3. (VP / GM) Rick Hahn reports to Kenny Williams
  4. (Field Manager) Ricky Renteria reports to Rick Hahn

October 2020 - October 2022:

1. Jerry Reinsdorf President
  2. Direct Reports - (EVP) Howard Pizer, (SVP) Kenny Williams & (Jerry's Guy & Field Manager) Tony La Russa
  3. (VP / GM) Rick Hahn Matrix reporting structure to both Kenny Williams and Tony La Russa
  4. (Bench Coach / Interim Manager) Miguel Cairo reports to Tony La Russa

October 2022 & Beyond: Reinsdorf President; 

1. Jerry Reindsorf President
  2. Direct Reports - (EVP) Howard Pizer, (EVP Baseball Guru & jerry's Guy) Tony La Russa
  3. (SVP) Rick Hahn, (General Manager) Chris Getz and (Field Manager) Miguel Cairo report to Tony La Russa

On playoff successes of Cubs’ lower level affiliates this fall…

“I don't think winning is something that you just happen upon,” Cubs shortstop Nico Hoerner said. “I think it is something that you've done before. Big situations, dealing with other people, building relationships with other people, and then knowing that it's possible. I mean, they won, they celebrated, they did the champagne.”

Hoerner chuckled.

“If that's allowed,” he added. “It’s really cool to see. I was super aware of that. I know we've got a lot of talent, especially at that lowest level there. It’s awesome to see and good for the organization.”

That South Bend roster (the season-end version) included nine players from the Cubs’ Top 30 Prospects list, per MLB Pipeline: Pete Crow-Armstrong (No. 1), Owen Caissie (No. 10), Kevin Made (No. 17), Yohendrick Pinango (No. 18), Daniel Palencia(No. 19), Porter Hodge (No. 22), Luis Devers (No. 26), Luke Little (No. 27) and Kohl Franklin (No. 29).

As players move their way up the organizational ladder, there is a high level of focus on individual development. That is all important for a player’s path to the big leagues, but Hoerner said the stuff that can’t be quantified -- the aspects of baseball centered around teamwork and relationship building, for example -- are crucial for finding the win column.

“You're going to have the data, exit velocity, spin axis, whatever, going on,” Hoerner said. “And all that stuff's important, but just as long as it's still going toward winning, winning. Keep on talking about it. Make it redundant. That is the thing that matters most, and the other stuff falls in line along with it. So, if that's being emphasized at the Minor League level and guys are capitalizing on it, then that's awesome.”

Cubs manager David Ross echoed that sentiment.

“Just putting your organization and your players in the championship environment and the playoff environment is extremely helpful,” Ross said. “There's a development process that you go through in the Minor Leagues, and things that you do throughout a season, that may not be all about just winning that day. And once you get to that winning environment, you get to learn those little details about what it takes to do that. And the more we get guys in that space, it's really important and the better off we'll be.”

Jordan Bastian mlb.com

There are plenty of great minds in the baseball world but who would want to work for Reinsdorf and Company and how would you fix this team that has some bad players with bad contracts and some players with issues other than physical.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

We can dream but JR would never agree to those conditions even if the Lord himself presented himself and offered his services.

You are probably right and that is so disgustingly pathetic, but ultimately we will dream to get a Chernoff type hire when Jerry passes away.