9/23 Game Thread Detroit Tigers @ Chicago White Sox 7:10 PM

South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What exactly would he learn ? I don't know how many pitches he was at when he was pulled . Are you trying to learn how poorly he can pitch after he's dead tired and if he'll get injured ?

Tired and injured the Sox MO.

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Another NL player showing signs of being on the downside.  Eventually he would be the Sox next Grandal.

He's a solid player, but just like Grandal, signing catchers over 30 to expensive long term contracts is nearly always a poor use of resources. Sure there are a couple exceptions in MLB history, like Fisk, but they are the exception, not the rule.

The smart route is to finally get instructors and develop catchers internally. Zavala improved this season under Narron, if he could develop other catchers in the minors, than he might be worth keeping. Catching is an important position, and a dedicated organizational instructor would be money well spent, pennies on FA dollars spent on guys like Grandal, Welington Castillo.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yoan’s lost his speed, bad speed and eye at the plate.  It’s one of the stranger things I’ve witnessed in a while.

I'd try to get Yoan to use a leg kick and stride. Get his body moving in motion generate some pop. He rarely moves his feet.He can't keep doing what he's doing. He's so still until he swings and makes no effort to reach or adjust if he's fooled.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He's a solid player, but just like Grandal, signing catchers over 30 to expensive long term contracts is nearly always a poor use of resources. Sure there are a couple exceptions in MLB history, like Fisk, but they are the exception, not the rule.

The smart route is to finally get instructors and develop catchers internally. Zavala improved this season under Narron, if he could develop other catchers in the minors, than he might be worth keeping. Catching is an important position, and a dedicated organizational instructor would be money well spent, pennies on FA dollars spent on guys like Grandal, Welington Castillo.

Cubs overestimated at the deadline.   I guess the trend is youth.  A catcher switching leagues is not easy. Unfortunately long term deals are the only way if signing someone.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

OK so basically not trying to learn anything. No one forces pitchers to go 9 innings when they either lose what they started with or tire after a certain amount of pitches. Still sounds punitive, vindictive and spiteful.

It is.  But he has shown he settles down at times in later innings.   I guess not everyone can be Cueto.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, I don't agree with the trade Vaughn sentiment. He has a good contract, is valuable if played at DH or 1B.

Abreu likely is back at 1B and Eloy is your DH.  I don’t ever want to see Vaughn play in the outfield again.  He’s a solid hitter, but nothing they will miss if they can trade him to fill some other holes.

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Cubs overestimated at the deadline.   I guess the trend is youth.  A catcher switching leagues is not easy. Unfortunately long term deals are the only way if signing someone.

There are only a few teams spending money these days, and the smart teams aren't plopping down big $ for catchers.

Thought the Yankees might want to upgrade catcher this offseason, but they were happy with dumping Sanchez and going with decent defensive catchers (Trevino). That's what the Sox should have continued to do (McCann's first Sox deal, pass on the 3-4 year $10M - $18M AAV deals like his Mets deal or Grandal's Sox deal). Grandal was Hahn's first major mistake in terms of roster management and spreading resources to cover as many positions with quality as possible.