9/23 Game Thread Detroit Tigers @ Chicago White Sox 7:10 PM

South Side Hit Men

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

There are only a few teams spending money these days, and the smart teams aren't plopping down big $ for catchers.

Thought the Yankees might want to upgrade catcher this offseason, but they were happy with dumping Sanchez and going with decent defensive catchers (Trevino). That's what the Sox should have continued to do (McCann's first Sox deal, pass on the 3-4 year $10M - $18M AAV deals like his Mets deal or Grandal's Sox deal). Grandal was Hahn's first major mistake in terms of roster management and spreading resources to cover as many positions with quality as possible.

Cardinals are going to go after Contreras

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Damn, thought the Sox were going to score there. Still want them to do good for the poor diehard fans out in the cold.

I'm surprised they haven't been booed off the field this whole week. 

There should be chants of bring back Tony because he owns this.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Abreu likely is back at 1B and Eloy is your DH.  I don’t ever want to see Vaughn play in the outfield again.  He’s a solid hitter, but nothing they will miss if they can trade him to fill some other holes.

I guess the main point of contention is I think they can get a decent starting pitcher from Miami for Eloy, but I don't think they would get much for Vaughn and thus he's more valuable here for his salary. Eloy's late season play has likely sparked more interest in him than he had going into the last offseason.

If you can get SP or a solid starter in their 20s (productive, young and healthy) for Vaughn, than I wouldn't be against it. Would still trade Eloy as well if you can sell high, don't see him ever sustaining health in his career.

37 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Offense battles back to tie and bullpen immediately gives up the run 4-3 Ticers 

Once again, we get hurt by a breaking pitch to the rookie agreene after being blown byvReyLo fastballs before.  Seems like most critical hits on Sox pitchers have been on breaking pitches, mostly hangers.  If our pitchers have the good heat, don’t screw around with breaking pitches in game situations.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Abreu likely is back at 1B and Eloy is your DH.  I don’t ever want to see Vaughn play in the outfield again.  He’s a solid hitter, but nothing they will miss if they can trade him to fill some other holes.

Is there any chance AV is young enuf to improve defensively? He's had a pretty dandy year for a 24-year old. Isn't there a slight chance if he works on the lift and pull thing he could hit 40-50 HRs a year (especially the years there's a live ball)?

• Haha 1

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

I guess the main point of contention is I think they can get a decent starting pitcher from Miami for Eloy, but I don't think they would get much for Vaughn and thus he's more valuable here for his salary. Eloy's late season play has likely sparked more interest in him than he had going into the last offseason.

If you can get SP or a solid starter in their 20s (productive, young and healthy) for Vaughn, than I wouldn't be against it. Would still trade Eloy as well if you can sell high, don't see him ever sustaining health in his career.

Marlins want athletes. I don’t see them wanting Eloy when they have Soler and Avi.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Soc aren't good at trades.  Eloy won't be traded.  I guess all depends on what Abreu wants to do. 

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

Can’t wait for them to trade Vaughn

I'm surprised u've given up on him. I kinda feel like he's the Sox one true prospect. I'm not as high on Eloy any more. Robert is so disappointing with injuries, too.

Just now, fathom said:

Marlins want athletes. I don’t see them wanting Eloy when they have Soler and Avi.  

There was rumored interest last year (Ng interested in Eloy and Mercedes) so that's what I'm going off of. Eloy can still DH for them, think he would be a fan favorite down there as well.

Just totally the opposite of Hahn in terms of acquiring players with little to no defensive value. You should have seven-eight defensive starting players, and cycle through your best 4-5 hitters at DH for rest from the field.

The Sox have seven-eight DH types, and try to slot them through half the available fielding positions.

• Like 2

Just now, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

If the Sox have any class, they'll let Abreu sign somewhere with ACTUAL championship aspirations, and let the man get a ring. 

It's not their decision.  What championship team would take him where he would be the important piece.  He is 35.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Just tuned in. Wonder if Jerry R cares enough to make wholesale changes. This team not only blows chunks but is unlikeable.

I've watched very few games this year, and I can't even imagine watching any games next year, I hate damn near everyone on this team minus Abreu, even Cease comes off as a scared little boy in big moments

I'll tune in if they fire literally everyone and let someone from outside the org have full control on hiring/firing.  otherwise I'll have ample time to find something else to spend time on. I managed this year just fine

I'll still wear my Sox gear just to strike up conversations with random people about how much I hate my team 😈

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

It's not their decision.  What championship team would take him where he would be the important piece.  He is 35.

If I'm Miami, I try to recruit him to play and promise a transition to the FO or coaching, build a Cuban connection in Miami (Soler is their only current Cuban on the 40 man roster).

Give Jose what he wants, make it happen. He won't say stupid s%*# praising Castro or the dictatorship like Ozzie. I would do the same here, the Sox will find a way to f*** it up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There was rumored interest last year (Ng interested in Eloy and Mercedes) so that's what I'm going off of. Eloy can still DH for them, think he would be a fan favorite down there as well.

Just totally the opposite of Hahn in terms of acquiring players with little to no defensive value. You should have seven-eight defensive starting players, and cycle through your best 4-5 hitters at DH for rest from the field.

The Sox have seven-eight DH types, and try to slot them through half the available fielding positions.

It was like that under Kenny as well.   So the conclusion is the scouting.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm surprised u've given up on him. I kinda feel like he's the Sox one true prospect. I'm not as high on Eloy any more. Robert is so disappointing with injuries, too.

Vaughn will be exposed next year, they should try to move him in a package but wait until new ppl are in charge. I don't want the current crew picking prospects 🤮

Just now, kitekrazy said:

It was like that under Kenny as well.   So the conclusion is the scouting.

I would say it's the decision makers who choose bats over overall players. Tony was fine punting on corner OF defense throughout his career.

Besides, Jerry fired most of the scouts in 2020, cause he be broke.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If I'm Miami, I try to recruit him to play and promise a transition to the FO or coaching, build a Cuban connection in Miami (Soler is their only current Cuban on the 40 man roster).

Give Jose what he wants, make it happen. He won't say stupid s%*# praising Castro or the dictatorship like Ozzie. I would do the same here, the Sox will find a way to f*** it up.

Just maybe he doesn't want a baseball career.  If he retired this season at least he was still a good player. 

f*** you Detroit. I only made the game thread because it was a few minutes before game time, and I wanted to have a chance to salvage my 2022 Game Thread record.

At this point, wouldn't mind if they lose their remaining road games and finish under .500, because that is the record this organization, Rick and Tony deserve on their permanent records.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Looks like Lambert is not the answer. Comes in the 8 th and promptly gives the dreaded lead off walk who eventually scores, like he did in the Cleveland series..

Too many guys are mentally soft.  Then pen wasn't great last year either.

• Like 1