The future

Lonchair

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I heard the ownership group is as old or even older than JR.. we will probably just get another one just like him.

I'd be very surprised if any of the minority owners showed any interest in buying the Sox. Many have been urging JR to sell since the mid 00's.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The wife Of George Lucas bought 30% of the White Sox  last year. Maybe  she will  buy the  rest of the team one of these days.

That is correct and would be Melody Hobson, the second and current wife of billionaire George Lucas. She is 53 years old and is a black woman. She grew up in Chicago and went to St Ignatius HS and has a degree from Princeton University, from the Woodward Wilson School Of International Relations and Public Policies. Additionally she was awarded the University's highest honor, the Woodward Wilson Award, presented to the Princeton graduate whose career embodies a commitment to national service.

Her background is beyond extensive and strong and would be an excellent owner:

She has received Honorary Doctorate degrees from: 
Howard University
Johns Hopkins University
St. Mary’s College
University of Southern California.

Currently works as:

- CEO of Ariel Investments,  a 15 billion dollar company headquartered in Chicago.
- Vice Chairwoman of Starbucks Corporation
- Vice Chairwoman of World Business Chicago
- Former Chairwoman of DreamWorks Animation
- On the Board of Directors for: 
- JP Morgan Chase
- George Lucas Education Foundation
- Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art 
- Rockefeller Foundation Board of Trustees

In 2020, she was listed on the Forbes list of the World's 100 Most Powerful Women.

She has an estimated net worth on her own of 100 million. Obviously she is married to her husband George who has an estimated net worth of 5.1 billion.

Now that she owns 30% of the White Sox! It's seems fairly obvious with her Chicago ties and background, she is hopefully interested and prepared to buy the majority of the White Sox when our idiot owner Reinsdorf finally decides to sell or passes away.

To me this would be a major home run and no-brainer some day with her intelligence, business savvy and experience and deep pockets. 

Yeah, I don't know, but I think that might be a lot better for Sox fans than dumbf*#k  JR 😉

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 3

I don't know what to say about the future when the current power structure remains in control. They have to know that LaRussa was a mistake, but I don't know if they will admit that to themselves. Right now, the fan confidence is at a real low. You can't expect fans to keep buying into the rebuild if dramatic changes aren't made this off season. In a way, missing the playoffs isn't that big a deal. The Sox usually do not go the post season, so this isn't a new feeling. For me, it is the feeling this organization doesn't have the know-how to turn things around leaving a bleak future. 

As a Sox fan, I've been through a lot of bad stuff. The 106-loss 1970 season. Disco Demolition. The 1994 strike. 1997 White Flag Trade. Ozzie over-staying his visit. But I think this is the worst. There is something very, very wrong here. If the FO remains in denial, it will only worsen, and the idea of the post-season will only be a fantasy.

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'd be very surprised if any of the minority owners showed any interest in buying the Sox. Many have been urging JR to sell since the mid 00's.

Currently Melody Hobson, the second and current wife of billionaire George Lucas, a black woman, owns 30% of the White Sox. See my post below on her credentials!

59 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Currently Melody Hobson, the second and current wife of billionaire George Lucas, a black woman, owns 30% of the White Sox. See my post below on her credentials!

Just wondering where in your bio of her does it show where she has any interest of buying the club? Like I wrote I seriously doubt there is any interest among the minority owners of the team. Your thoughts on her are simply speculation at this point.

The point I made was the minority owners have been urging JR to sell since the mid 00's, yet he refuses because of the tax hit that he would take (about 200 million dollars) as opposed to if his family/estate sells the club after he is gone.

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Is Jerry even a majority owner? I know he's chairman but I've seen rumors of him at like 20-25%

According to Forbes his original share was 19%. However, there have been reports for years of him and his family buying up shares as they become available. 

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/consumer-products/more-reinsdorfs-want-stake-sox

https://www.forbes.com/profile/jerry-reinsdorf/?sh=1441d62a6d28

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just wondering where in your bio of her does it show where she has any interest of buying the club? Like I wrote I seriously doubt there is any interest among the minority owners of the team. Your thoughts on her are simply speculation at this point.

The point I made was the minority owners have been urging JR to sell since the mid 00's, yet he refuses because of the tax hit that he would take (about 200 million dollars) as opposed to if his family/estate sells the club after he is gone.

There is no documented proof that she wants to be the majority owner. Yet on the other hand there is no proof from your end that there aren't any minority owners who wouldn't want to buy the team right now.

If a person buys 30% of the team knowing shares of ownership are even being sold off, you have to hope or assume their purpose might be to buy the majority when the team is being sold one day. If you look at many of the owners throughout sports, many of them initially got in buying portions of the team and then eventually buying out the remainder. 

She also has a minority stake ownership with the Denver Broncos.

I just think if you already own 30% of the team, at some point when the team is sold, with the money she has available to her, its more than possible for her to become majority owner of the Sox! From her bio and huge accomplishments and titles, she doesn't seem like a person who wants to be just a silent owner and have little or no say. 

It's been documented and stated here numerous times that when JR passes away, he wants the team sold. All we can do is wait and hope it's some rich owner who is extremely smart and business savvy and can spend the money. The day that happens, regardless of who is the next Sox owner, for once will have an real opportunity to become a winner and not this pathetic loser organization they currently run under the demented loser JR.

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Is Jerry even a majority owner? I know he's chairman but I've seen rumors of him at like 20-25%

JR has it written into his contract that he has complete authority on the day to day operations of the team. He also has the freedom to what he wishes with the club from a sell standpoint.

The minority investors literally have absolutely zero say in things, JR has the power.

The only way he can be removed from his position even if all the other minority investors turned against him is if he did something illegal such as embezzling funds.  

It has been this way even since he put the ownership group together in the winter of 1981.