This group of players has quit and is not playing hard anymore

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Speaking of tanking...The White Sox should fine ANY player that celebrates literally anything that happens on the field. f***, fine them for smiling if they're on camera.  Bunch of losers. What are you celebrating? Enjoying the ride? Getting paid the same if you win or lose?

Presumably the MLBPA would prevent something like this.

They are a bunch of losers laughing all the way to the bank.  Hahn overpaid a lot of them.

9 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The standings are showing otherwise. It was an extremely overrated and thin roster coming into the season. One doesn't need a bunch of advanced degrees from Ivy league institutions to know that sticking first basemen in the outfield is not a good idea. The 2022 White Sox were one of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen. Hard to win a division when you don't know how to field. 

And one of the slowest base runners in the majors.

4 hours ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

In the event you'd all like to throw up in your mouths a bit more as the season drags out....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4dU46AiC_pt1GtzakmASUg9UD_UnpG32kdRZ3clOnk/edit#gid=1520401900

Lots of dead weight to carry into 2023 and beyond. In quite the cluster f*** RickyGM finds himself.

Pollock, Graveman, Grandal, Kelly, Leury, Diekman, Harrison, Bummer = $41,250,000 towards 2023 payroll.

41.25m == -0.3 WAR. (edit... errr. 2022 WAR and 2023 salary... sorry!)

I don't understand how in the world Rick Hahn is still employed by the White Sox. If I was this incompetent at my job, I would have been run out of my profession years ago.

Sox is being run by three lawyers: JR, Hahn and TLR.maybe we need real modern baseball people to run the team, and these guys retire or move to practice law.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Call me crazy but I expected effort, that's what being a very highly paid professional means doesn't it?

TLR was the wrong manager for this team.  He didn’t make anyone accountable, was low energy, and a bad field manager.  Needed a younger, modern, hard ass manager that was a better on field manager and motivator and not afraid to kick some ass.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yet somehow the other moderators have given up attempting to change posters here, as life is too short for them to waste invaluable time and effort.

What a silly thing to believe that our job here is to change people.  I’m not your teacher, we are all adults here.   Well most of us, not me.  I’m a 44 year old man baby

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

Most everyone DID think they’d win the division this year.  Including you probably.  

Nope. April 5th in the prediction thread I said fans would be debating which was a bigger disappointment the '69 Cubs or '22 Sox. 

I predicted third place. I was driving the fire Hahn train before it was cool. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

6 hours ago, hankchifan said:

TLR was the wrong manager for this team.  He didn’t make anyone accountable, was low energy, and a bad field manager.  Needed a younger, modern, hard ass manager that was a better on field manager and motivator and not afraid to kick some ass.

Ricky Renteria is looking pretty good right now.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, hankchifan said:

They are a bunch of losers laughing all the way to the bank.  Hahn overpaid a lot of them.

For some reason they bought into their rebuild before they won anything, and stopped the emphasis on bringing in significant future pieces. This team was induced into being way too comfortable. Coach Eberflus would not be happy with the FO loafs. Keep driving through the tackle, don’t stop. Everyone else run to the ball through the whistle. I am out of control with analogies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hankchifan said:

They could have had Joc Pederson for $7M one year, less than some of our relievers.

Of all the players to be upset about missing, Joc isn't one for me.   He'd been a terrible player for years, and was an even worse defender.  Combined in 2020 and 21 he had a TOTAL of 0.1 fWAR, with a RC+ of about 90.  If we would have spent $7 million on him, we would have gotten 2020 Nomar Mazara numbers out of him anyway.

This is the only season where I've felt the slightest bit of embarrassment being an out of state Sox fan. I did not even put up my big flag on the house this year. Just a disaster of a year and one of their own making.

The fact that we have had an 'acting' manager and a disastrous fall from any chance of making the playoffs AND the front office still has not addressed the press or fans in any significant way is so unacceptable. There is nothing professional about this pro baseball club. Clean house.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

When Tony was hired many people thought his hard ass style wouldn't work with today's players who expected to be treated as adults in a more collaborative environment. The predictions were he wouldn't put up with the antics of modern players. Seems he allowed them to "do their thing" a little too much. 

So this was a surprise. 

20 hours ago, DashFan said:

This is the only season where I've felt the slightest bit of embarrassment being an out of state Sox fan. I did not even put up my big flag on the house this year. Just a disaster of a year and one of their own making.

The fact that we have had an 'acting' manager and a disastrous fall from any chance of making the playoffs AND the front office still has not addressed the press or fans in any significant way is so unacceptable. There is nothing professional about this pro baseball club. Clean house.

Among other Sox items accumulated through the years is my hitch cover. I took it off for my summer trip, expecting to put it back on when I returned in a couple months. 

Yeah, it's still sitting in my under seat storage. So far no student has remembered me wearing a Sox jersey to school for opening day (cool school tradition). 

This weekend the only large tumbler that wasn't in the dishwasher was a Sox Tervis model. I washed a yeti by hand instead of seeing the logo. 

I'm very stealthy now. I've hid any reminders. I'm going to sneak in the Astros and Cardinals bandwagons because of friends I see every day. 

• Love 1

I'm still a Sox fan and proud of it.

Will criticize the f*** out of them, but I proudly drink out of a GRF cup in the office, wear a Sox hat around town (even when they're getting embarrassed by the Tigers), and have various sox paraphernalia at work, surrounded by Detroit and Cleveland fans.

• Fire 1

This team would get no-hit in a tee-ball game, striking out looking 20 times in a 7 inning game. Abreu strikes out swinging at the tee in the other batter's box for the 21st.

Having said that. I shall try to find a stream that will work this evening and watch 'em. Maybe they'll win tonight.

There will be gnashing of teeth and much caterwauling.

Go you White Sox!!!!

On 9/27/2022 at 6:57 AM, Chick Mercedes said:

they are a breeding farm for first baseman and DHs. Great planning for modern baseball guys. Maybe long term the idea is they can sell pure bred first base puppies  to teams that like Great Danes. 

That is because of the wisdom and savvy of  draft guru Rick Hahn who decided that we needed more 1B/DH type players while we already had one of the best 1B in baseball.

Joe Abreu first 6 seasons with the Sox:

Yr        G     2B   HR   RBI    AVE   OPS
2014  145   35   36   107   .317   .964
2015  154   34   30   101   .290   .850
2016  159   32   25   100   .293   .820
2017  156   43   33   102   .304   .906
2018  128   36   22     78   .265   .798
2019  159   38   33   123   .284   .834 

2017 - Hahn felt it important to use a high 2nd round pick (49th overall pick) to selected 1B Gavin Sheets. 

2019 - Hahn doubled down and felt we really needed another 1B/DH and in the first round (3rd overall pick) selected Andrew Vaughn.

There were many other first basemen taken during these years, but the point is, this is one of many reasons you have this DH/1B log jam.

• Fire 1