Who is buying/renewing tix for 2023?

caulfield12

2 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

I will renew. It’s baseball and where else am I supposed to go? 

I think most who are not renewing probably still intend to attend some games. It's cheaper on stubhub. They have taken away most of the season ticketholder perks. My invoice is actually less than $1 cheaper. I'll hold out and see what their first moves are. Who knows,  they may bring back the Ballpark Pass.

• Like 1

It will take a few things to get me to even go 10-gamer again.  Namely who they hire as manager and what moves they make.  This season the White Sox org really turned me off and made me more of a general baseball fan.  I might go to a few games if they are decent but it’s unlikely I give them a large chunk of money up front again after the TLR disaster. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, palehose1 said:

se the posted prices significantly but they add sales tax separately. Add in a tip and a beer that was $11 "all in" a year ago is now $15. I understand inflation but I also can identify greed to. I spent less during my ballpark visits in 2022 than in the past. 

I get trying to make each season profitable but, let's be honest, with few exceptions we see the biggest gains in franchise value through simple asset appreciation.  Reinsdorf and company bought this team for $20M....it's now worth (conservatively) $2billion.  And they want to stick it to the fans after a b.s. season?  They want to whine about payroll?  Here's a helpful hint to ol' Jerr...you're about to die soon.  If you want this team to climb in value on your way out the door, get to spending and improve your product.  Build the fanbase, increase the TV deals, sell more STs.  Dicking over fans while your initial investment has grown nearly 10,000% over the past 40 years is just disgusting, especially given the lack of competitive seasons this franchise has mustered over the decades under Reinsdorf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

I held for years thinking I was getting a once in a lifetime chance to buy the best of the best seats at what I felt was a comfortable price for 81 games.   Comparable seats for Bulls, Hawks, Cubs, Bears are all grandfathered in and untouchable.

That was dumb.  If we ever went on a run the price of my seats would get jacked quickly to a price that I wouldn't want to pay for 81. 

Buy your tickets on the secondary market as you approach the ballpark.

Never get that sinking feel in your stomach that you can't go to the game and didn't do anything with your tickets. Never give the tickets away to people that are grateful but you damn well know they don't fully consider that you handed them $200.  

I am much happier without season tickets.

The only season tickets that make sense to me are the cheapest in the ballpark, thus always giving you the rights to the the least expensive seats regardless of how expensive they get.  Or for the mega, mega, mega wealthy that don't care at all what they cost, ever, and just want the best seats.

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, caulfield12 said:

Conditional or unconditional based on future coaching, FA moves, trade and strength and conditioning/training changes?

Predicted fall off? 25%? 33% 50%?

Looming recession seemingly isn't helping matters much here, either.  

Does anyone expect a payroll over $175 million again or the makings of a full scale reckoning, down to $160 even?

looming recession?

On 10/13/2022 at 8:56 AM, palehose1 said:

you can get them cheaper on Stubhub on day of game

This. 

Much like the sentiment across this thread, I told my group I will not be renewing my portion which was 12 games. We had 4 seats, 5 rows behind the dugout plus parking/stadium club. I generally use half for work, half for personal. This year I couldn't find work or personal to take (free to all parties invited ... expensed for work, free for friends). I ended up giving away tickets to 2 games, selling the other 10 games and getting about $50 per ticket on a $80-90 face value. 

My perspective is such:

a) why lock into any specific game? you're stuck with weather, with work obligations, family obligations, etc. etc. Locking into games lacks flexibility

b) there is absolutely no cost savings. See above. StubHub has them cheaper for 80% of the games.

c) I was part of a group that have had tickets since new Comiskey opened. Even with 12 games I was only able to negotiate getting an ALDS game, so playoffs don't add anything to my incentive. On top of that, last year when they went on sale i was able to grab tickets for all the ALDS games at face value. Now they weren't my seats and right next to the field, but all were generally good and in between the dugouts. No reason to get season tickets when you can still buy your way into the playoffs

d) i had no fun. even beside the losing. stadium club was an absolute joke for the 3rd year in a row. stale bread that falls apart, no service, poor food quality, over crowded. Hell i went there on an April game. 45 degrees out. maybe 8k fans at the park, slight mist/rain. I took my parents. To sit in stadium club on the glass cost $5 per person ...What is that? Insanity. You pay for a ticket to the game, for stadium club access and then $5 to see the game? Buy a $15 beef that falls apart ... 

To me there's absolutely no value left to season ticket proposition. And you know what? I'd love to sit down with a Brooks or anybody high up in the organization and have them experience the process. From getting into games to food, to stadium club, etc. etc. And I'll give the Sox some credit ... they did a lot of things right this year. The bathroom and beer lines in my section were always moving. They staffed concessions well. The people were generally courteous, etc. But they also did a lot of things wrong -- to me Stadium club, parking, season ticket appreciation events all lacked massively. I'll take my $5k and park it anywhere else. Probably end up buying a few scout seats game on stubhub, but that's it. If they go to the playoffs, I'll use the other $3k and buy those games. No reason to waste my time going to pointless games.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, he gone. said:

This. 

Much like the sentiment across this thread, I told my group I will not be renewing my portion which was 12 games. We had 4 seats, 5 rows behind the dugout plus parking/stadium club. I generally use half for work, half for personal. This year I couldn't find work or personal to take (free to all parties invited ... expensed for work, free for friends). I ended up giving away tickets to 2 games, selling the other 10 games and getting about $50 per ticket on a $80-90 face value. 

My perspective is such:

a) why lock into any specific game? you're stuck with weather, with work obligations, family obligations, etc. etc. Locking into games lacks flexibility

b) there is absolutely no cost savings. See above. StubHub has them cheaper for 80% of the games.

c) I was part of a group that have had tickets since new Comiskey opened. Even with 12 games I was only able to negotiate getting an ALDS game, so playoffs don't add anything to my incentive. On top of that, last year when they went on sale i was able to grab tickets for all the ALDS games at face value. Now they weren't my seats and right next to the field, but all were generally good and in between the dugouts. No reason to get season tickets when you can still buy your way into the playoffs

d) i had no fun. even beside the losing. stadium club was an absolute joke for the 3rd year in a row. stale bread that falls apart, no service, poor food quality, over crowded. Hell i went there on an April game. 45 degrees out. maybe 8k fans at the park, slight mist/rain. I took my parents. To sit in stadium club on the glass cost $5 per person ...What is that? Insanity. You pay for a ticket to the game, for stadium club access and then $5 to see the game? Buy a $15 beef that falls apart ... 

To me there's absolutely no value left to season ticket proposition. And you know what? I'd love to sit down with a Brooks or anybody high up in the organization and have them experience the process. From getting into games to food, to stadium club, etc. etc. And I'll give the Sox some credit ... they did a lot of things right this year. The bathroom and beer lines in my section were always moving. They staffed concessions well. The people were generally courteous, etc. But they also did a lot of things wrong -- to me Stadium club, parking, season ticket appreciation events all lacked massively. I'll take my $5k and park it anywhere else. Probably end up buying a few scout seats game on stubhub, but that's it. If they go to the playoffs, I'll use the other $3k and buy those games. No reason to waste my time going to pointless games.

I'm impressed that the one thing that you highlighted as having been a positive experience involved the same people who picketed the ballpark after the season ended because their wages and benefits aren't competitive with the rest of baseball. 

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm impressed that the one thing that you highlighted as having been a positive experience involved the same people who picketed the ballpark after the season ended because their wages and benefits aren't competitive with the rest of baseball. 

Yet another reason to be disappointed with this teams ownership.  List goes on.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

despite all of that they seemed extra kind, courteous, and hard working this year. from beer vendors to the food people. Lots of thank yous, lots of apologies if there were large lines, lots of greetings and goodbyes in and out of the park. They deserve more money in my opinion.  

5 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I held for years thinking I was getting a once in a lifetime chance to buy the best of the best seats at what I felt was a comfortable price for 81 games.   Comparable seats for Bulls, Hawks, Cubs, Bears are all grandfathered in and untouchable.

That was dumb.  If we ever went on a run the price of my seats would get jacked quickly to a price that I wouldn't want to pay for 81. 

Buy your tickets on the secondary market as you approach the ballpark.

Never get that sinking feel in your stomach that you can't go to the game and didn't do anything with your tickets. Never give the tickets away to people that are grateful but you damn well know they don't fully consider that you handed them $200.  

I am much happier without season tickets.

The only season tickets that make sense to me are the cheapest in the ballpark, thus always giving you the rights to the the least expensive seats regardless of how expensive they get.  Or for the mega, mega, mega wealthy that don't care at all what they cost, ever, and just want the best seats.

Totally agree with you regarding the regular season. The thing that keeps me coming back (like a sucker) is the guaranteed playoff tickets in the event of a deep playoff run, and the stinging memory of getting myself and family members shut out of World Series games because I couldn't find tickets for less than four figures.  That was 2005.  If that happened again nowadays the guaranteed face-value WS tickets you get with season ticket packages would be an absolute goldmine.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Totally agree with you regarding the regular season. The thing that keeps me coming back (like a sucker) is the guaranteed playoff tickets in the event of a deep playoff run, and the stinging memory of getting myself and family members shut out of World Series games because I couldn't find tickets for less than four figures.  That was 2005.  If that happened again nowadays the guaranteed face-value WS tickets you get with season ticket packages would be an absolute goldmine.

Again, if that is the reason, you can always wait until September and then commit to a 2024 package and get them. It's probably the biggest reason they were around 2 million this year, and why their attendance was higher in 2006 than 2005.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Again, if that is the reason, you can always wait until September and then commit to a 2024 package and get them. It's probably the biggest reason they were around 2 million this year, and why their attendance was higher in 2006 than 2005.

You are far more limited in your playoff guarantees with the end-of-season first-time season ticket purchase, at least with the partials. Last year, for example, they only offered you a single LCS and single WS ticket, whereas I'm pretty sure existing STHs got tickets to every playoff game.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

15 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

You are far more limited in your playoff guarantees with the end-of-season first-time season ticket purchase, at least with the partials. Last year, for example, they only offered you a single LCS and single WS ticket, whereas I'm pretty sure existing STHs got tickets to every playoff game.

The 20 game plan I've had since 2019 does not give you playoff tickets to every game. You were able to purchase all the wild card and division games, 1 ACLS, and 1 World Series guaranteed. With that said, you were able to buy additional ACLS or WS if there were any available after half and full season ticket holders, plus MLB's seats, sponsors etc.

As far as renewing, I was on the auto-renew payment plan so I had to call them Friday to tell them I was canceling. After speaking to my rep., they are offering a 10 seat/game voucher which get's you some benefit's tho not guaranteed postseason seats.  After going back and forth he's holding my 3 seats until late November and he's going to give me a call back about my seats.  That should give me some time to see what their going to do with a coach which may be enough to get me to renew depending on the hire and his staff which hopefully will be somewhat in place by then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

The 20 game plan I've had since 2019 does not give you playoff tickets to every game. You were able to purchase all the wild card and division games, 1 ACLS, and 1 World Series guaranteed. With that said, you were able to buy additional ACLS or WS if there were any available after half and full season ticket holders, plus MLB's seats, sponsors etc.

As far as renewing, I was on the auto-renew payment plan so I had to call them Friday to tell them I was canceling. After speaking to my rep., they are offering a 10 seat/game voucher which get's you some benefit's tho not guaranteed postseason seats.  After going back and forth he's holding my 3 seats until late November and he's going to give me a call back about my seats.  That should give me some time to see what their going to do with a coach which may be enough to get me to renew depending on the hire and his staff which hopefully will be somewhat in place by then.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Thanks 1

Yep, the playoff tickets thing is a bit overblown. I get it. But at the same time you can pretty easily get all the games for ALCS and ALDS if you jump online with a plan exactly at 10am. Or maybe that was me just getting lucky in 2021. 

I had all ALDS and ALCS for 2021 run and save for a game or two in the OF, most were between the dugouts about 20-30 rows up. 

World Series probably would've been much tougher. But I'm starting to look at it as the money saved during the season can go towards the playoffs. (You know, if we ever get there)

I went to 15 games in 2021. I went 2 games in 2022. I’m not a band wagon fan. I had season tickets up until they demolished old Comiskey. I will make my decision on what my plans are for 2023 when the management team is put in place, and the roster is decided. I could go back to 15 games as I did in 2021, get season tickets if they wow me, or none if they screw things up. I need to see a proven manager, a legitimate right fielder, and a  2nd baseman. I’d settle for Andrus at second for a year if they wisely spend for a real right fielder/left fielder. 
should Eloy be allowed to play left? should he be a full time DH? I’m writing this post considering Abreu is gone and Vaughn is the full time 1st basemen. I know this is a ticket disc but this is what decides who buys and who doesn’t. The bullpen and starters is another discussion as is catching. We probably can’t give Yasmani away because of his contract. Could he return to the hitter he was 2 or 3 years ago just being a DH? After all, he’s a switch hitter, has power, draws a lot of walks. A lot of questions still remain before I buy another ticket.  What do we do with Sheets? Play him or trade him? Buy out Pollock? Trade Hendriks? Lots of questions. Risk a big contract on Conforto? Please respond and give opinions, after all is this what it’s for. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

I went to 15 games in 2021. I went 2 games in 2022. I’m not a band wagon fan. I had season tickets up until they demolished old Comiskey. I will make my decision on what my plans are for 2023 when the management team is put in place, and the roster is decided. I could go back to 15 games as I did in 2021, get season tickets if they wow me, or none if they screw things up. I need to see a proven manager, a legitimate right fielder, and a  2nd baseman. I’d settle for Andrus at second for a year if they wisely spend for a real right fielder/left fielder
should Eloy be allowed to play left? should he be a full time DH? I’m writing this post considering Abreu is gone and Vaughn is the full time 1st basemen. I know this is a ticket disc but this is what decides who buys and who doesn’t. The bullpen and starters is another discussion as is catching. We probably can’t give Yasmani away because of his contract. Could he return to the hitter he was 2 or 3 years ago just being a DH? After all, he’s a switch hitter, has power, draws a lot of walks. A lot of questions still remain before I buy another ticket.  What do we do with Sheets? Play him or trade him? Buy out Pollock? Trade Hendriks? Lots of questions. Risk a big contract on Conforto? Please respond and give opinions, after all is this what it’s for. 

This isn't going to happen.

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man, I hope asking for a solid managerial hire, a legit LH OF and a cheap 2B isn't too much to ask for...I think they'll go internal at 2B myself, but this team is going to suck balls again if they don't acquire a real OF that hits LH.  

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am plenty pessimistic about things right now but I think the three things he needs are possible.  I do think we'll get a "proven manager," and Andrus at second is not exactly a reach.  That just leaves "legit" outfielder.  I'm not positive that will happen but I think it's a real possibility.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, I hope asking for a solid managerial hire, a legit LH OF and a cheap 2B isn't too much to ask for...I think they'll go internal at 2B myself, but this team is going to suck balls again if they don't acquire a real OF that hits LH.  

I don’t know about a cheap 2nd baseman. We’ve gone that route a few times and it hasn’t worked out. We have a lot of key players at reasonable prices tied up. Robert, Jimenez, Anderson, Vaughn, Sheets, Moncada etc  we’re going to cut bait it looks like on Abreu, that’s 17 million right there  Harrison, 4.5 million, Pollock, 13 Million. do they gamble and trade Hendriks 13 million and go with Lopez Crochet? If we’re going cheap at second it should be a rookie  Sosa or Gonzalez  Hernandez was a bust , Harrison sucked in the 1st half  We we’re willing to go rookie before the genius trade by Hahn for Kimbrel, spend on another starter and outfield if we’re going cheap at second  

9 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

The Cubs have announced a 5.1% decrease in season ticket prices.  The same Cubs who outdrew the Sox by 600,000 in a down year.

My dad and I just had this conversation earlier today. It’s insanity that the Sox are raising prices. Everyone needs to stop paying and send ownership a message. And then remember it doesn’t matter and pray for new ownership in a decade or so. 

• Like 2