Who is buying/renewing tix for 2023?

caulfield12

On 10/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, Dick Allen said:

I think most who are not renewing probably still intend to attend some games. It's cheaper on stubhub. They have taken away most of the season ticketholder perks. My invoice is actually less than $1 cheaper. I'll hold out and see what their first moves are. Who knows,  they may bring back the Ballpark Pass.

This year, the thing I learned for going in small groups is using StubHub. You can filter by including fees and selecting specific sections, then you can evaluate the prices of the tickets you’re going to buy. You can search on the map on Ticketmaster, but the fees are never included. If you use Ticketmaster, you also need a separate app for parking.

I am usually good for one game in April or May with about 15-20 people for my birthday and we always sit in the outfield to keep things affordable. But other games really depend on who wants to go and what my availability is. Using StubHub makes sense to save on tickets and occasionally parking, but also for the convenience of using one app. And I’d rather buy from a resale market for a bargain instead of direct from a team, unless the deal is like Bleachers & Brews, which is a fairly good deal the team offers that I have used for many outings with lots of people.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, AJ'S Cousin said:

I went to 15 games in 2021. I went 2 games in 2022. I’m not a band wagon fan. I had season tickets up until they demolished old Comiskey. I will make my decision on what my plans are for 2023 when the management team is put in place, and the roster is decided. I could go back to 15 games as I did in 2021, get season tickets if they wow me, or none if they screw things up. I need to see a proven manager, a legitimate right fielder, and a  2nd baseman. I’d settle for Andrus at second for a year if they wisely spend for a real right fielder/left fielder. 
should Eloy be allowed to play left? should he be a full time DH? I’m writing this post considering Abreu is gone and Vaughn is the full time 1st basemen. I know this is a ticket disc but this is what decides who buys and who doesn’t. The bullpen and starters is another discussion as is catching. We probably can’t give Yasmani away because of his contract. Could he return to the hitter he was 2 or 3 years ago just being a DH? After all, he’s a switch hitter, has power, draws a lot of walks. A lot of questions still remain before I buy another ticket.  What do we do with Sheets? Play him or trade him? Buy out Pollock? Trade Hendriks? Lots of questions. Risk a big contract on Conforto? Please respond and give opinions, after all is this what it’s for. 

My old man went to at least two to three more games this year, including the last one against Minnesota and another against Colorado that were non competitive games. He wants to see what they do with with the team on the field before he commits any money next year. I agree with this approach, especially if he is retired and can easily come over to my house and watch the games on cable and see his grandson.

6 hours ago, Spumoni said:

My dad and I just had this conversation earlier today. It’s insanity that the Sox are raising prices. Everyone needs to stop paying and send ownership a message. And then remember it doesn’t matter and pray for new ownership in a decade or so. 

The Cubs will still have the highest ticket prices in MLB.  Going to a Cubs game  can bankrupt the average fan. Its much cheaper going to a White Sox game. The White Sox have numerous games where the tickets are discounted.

Edited by WBWSF

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The Cubs will still have the highest ticket prices in MLB.  Going to a Cubs game  can bankrupt the average fan. Its much cheaper going to a White Sox game. The White Sox have numerous games where the tickets are discounted.

If the Cubs are worried about being able to sell tickets in the current environment, a problem they rarely have, the Sox should be terrified. Raising ticket prices when everyone is getting squeezed economically from every direction, both personal costs and business costs is pure lunacy. Especially after pissing off a large chunk of the fanbase with an unlikeable team and unwillingness to make necessary changes last year. Completely tone deaf decision making and evidence they don't give a s%*# about season ticket holders.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

If the Cubs are worried about being able to sell tickets in the current environment, a problem they rarely have, the Sox should be terrified. Raising ticket prices when everyone is getting squeezed economically from every direction, both personal costs and business costs is pure lunacy. Especially after pissing off a large chunk of the fanbase with an unlikeable team and unwillingness to make necessary changes last year. Completely tone deaf decision making and evidence they don't give a s%*# about season ticket holders.

All of this.  The whole org is so tone deaf its mind-boggling.  Just this morning on Facebook they post "Fall in Chicago" and a picture of the park, as if they didn't understand what all the comments would be about.  Morons.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, ThirdGen said:

The Cubs have announced a 5.1% decrease in season ticket prices.  The same Cubs who outdrew the Sox by 600,000 in a down year.

Smart move. Don't teams thrive on TV money the most anyway? Lower season ticket costs as goodwill gesture cause of the wretched economy and sell more concessions. Parking, hotdogs, beer, cha ching!

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the response of the Sox based on renewal base. We all know they won't share their numbers publicly, but my guess is the number will be quite poor. I only know 5 groups with tickets. They range from full season, to 40? games (whatever the middle number is) to the 20 game varieties. I think the renewal rate on the 20 game and less crowd will be sparse. To me, those are generally the people who saw an improving team, grabbed a few seats coming out of a pandemic when we were locked up, and saw it as at least an investment where they could dump a few seats online and breakeven when they didn't go. That did not happen this year. Tighter economy now ... i just see the renewal base down. 

The real interesting part to me is the response by the Sox ... do they opt for the cheap route of slashing salary and making trades, stand put and hope that a bounce back happens leading to tickets packages tied to playoff tickets, or do they add right away to hopefully convince those on the edge to re-up before the season starts. My guess is the stand put. 

Reading through this thread I find some out-sized opinions about future ticket sales by some posters that only attend one game a year or live in distant locations and never go.  My hope for Sox fans is that the front office makes some moves that get fans excited about the 2023 season and maybe plan on going to a few more games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tray said:

Reading through this thread I find some out-sized opinions about future ticket sales by some posters that only attend one game a year or live in distant locations and never go.  My hope for Sox fans is that the front office makes some moves that get fans excited about the 2023 season and maybe plan on going to a few more games.

From my personal experience the fans who are the first to loudly proclaim a boycott are usually the ones that rarely buy tickets anyway.

However this year, many season ticket holders I know are saying screw it, especially after the price increase.  Far more than I can ever remember, even after the White Flag trade.  This year is different.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

• 1 month later...

Well, the November 30 renewal deadline came and went and I did not renew.

I actually meant to, and maybe I'm just convincing myself after missing a deadline, but I'm totally fine with it. The playoff ticket eligibility advantages of my 20-game plan can, as others have mentioned, be largely matched by signing up for next year if the season turns out well, and I really won't miss the hassle associated with unloading tickets I inevitably can't use. Plus it's just so easy to walk up and buy tickets to just about any regular season game. So I guess the FO can blame a failure to sign a meaningful free agent bat on me.

• Fire 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody else getting more and more follow ups lately? 

I ended up blocking the reps number. 

If they wanted to sell tickets they shouldve had an offseason plan after last years disaster ... yet here we are. have a feeling their numbers are poor going into the season against what the sox (in their own minds) is a very strong payroll commitment. 

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, he gone. said:

If they wanted to sell tickets they shouldve had an offseason plan after last years disaster ... yet here we are. have a feeling their numbers are poor going into the season against what the sox (in their own minds) is a very strong payroll commitment. 

I didn't renew. I forgot my rep's name during the season. He didn't send me one email for about a year, then like you, I started getting them almost daily. If I had only know they were building a bar with 8 seats to watch a game in a really bad section..............

I have no big plans to go out to the ballpark even if they start winning. I didn't expect the FO to spend megabucks on free agents this offseason, but I hoped for more than this. And, now, even before the season starts, one signing is blowing up in their face.

The franchise gives the impression it doesn't care about the fan base. This has been going on for way too long. They have the car in neutral.  It is hard to invest any emotion in this team. The FO will not change. If the fans are going to be won over, the players will have to do it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, he gone. said:

They've called me every day for two weeks. Never happened before.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 12:34 AM, tray said:

Reading through this thread I find some out-sized opinions about future ticket sales by some posters that only attend one game a year or live in distant locations and never go.  My hope for Sox fans is that the front office makes some moves that get fans excited about the 2023 season and maybe plan on going to a few more games.

3 months later..oof.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:35 PM, he gone. said:

Yep.  It's just not worth it to me.  I'll get my pick of the games I actually want instead of getting locked in to arbitrary dates months in advance, then buy 2024 season tix if they're in the playoff push and secure playoff tickets that way.