Who is buying/renewing tix for 2023?

caulfield12

On 2/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, he gone. said:

I'm not lying when I am 100% confident that if you took a group of 20 of us on Sox Talk and we split the pay/duties of Hahn & Marketing that we could build a much more successful franchise. I'm sure we have a few lawyers tip toeing on this site. Probably a few marketers. We have enough common sense on the board, we also have the crazy out there thinkers that could throw in out there ideas. Give us $180mm payroll and I'm pretty certain we'd have this at a 95 win team with a future too. 

Idea 1: Let's not make the fans hate their experience before they even get out of their car to go into the game.

Idea 2: Let's shorten the security lines so the fans don't double hate their experience before they get into the gates

Idea 3: Let's follow more of the Atlanta Falcons model so the fans don't want to shoot themselves for spending $14 on beer and $8 stale hot dogs/buns before they even sit in their seats

You know, simple things. 

Idea 4: Have grilled onion stations and fans in each section to waft that beautiful smell into my nostrils continuously. 

What is the Atlanta Falcons model? 

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look at the total attendance for the first day weekday game after opening day.  That is pretty much it.

Nah.  Even season-ticket holders don't go to those games.  Also doesn't capture partial plans that don't include that particular game.  (I know you're probably joking anyway.)  Anyway, I have a feeling the dropoff is pretty large, but especially large in the partial season packages they sold at the end of 2021 to suckers like me.

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Nah.  Even season-ticket holders don't go to those games.  Also doesn't capture partial plans that don't include that particular game.  (I know you're probably joking anyway.)  Anyway, I have a feeling the dropoff is pretty large, but especially large in the partial season packages they sold at the end of 2021 to suckers like me.

The attendance number in MLB isn't how many cross the turnstiles, it is how many paid.  If 2000 people have tickets but don't show up, that still shows up at 2000 tickets sold for the attendance.

Obviously it isn't perfect, but in theory, partial plans should be spread out fairly evenly across the crappier games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The attendance number in MLB isn't how many cross the turnstiles, it is how many paid.  If 2000 people have tickets but don't show up, that still shows up at 2000 tickets sold for the attendance.

Obviously it isn't perfect, but in theory, partial plans should be spread out fairly evenly across the crappier games.

If it's under 10,000 for home games #2 and #3, that will never a very telling indicator...whenever those April weekday games are.

Obviously weekend are going to be 25-30% higher barring weather disasters.

Another tell would be numbers against Detroit and KC...the two least attractive matchups for fans on the schedule.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If it's under 10,000 for home games #2 and #3, that will never a very telling indicator...whenever those April weekday games are.

Obviously weekend are going to be 25-30% higher barring weather disasters.

Why?  You are never going to be under your season ticket number. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why?  You are never going to be under your season ticket number. 

Because all you need to do is subtract 2000-2500 at most from those announced attendance numbers to arrive at the actual "real" number of season ticket holders.

How many individual ticket buyers and walk ups could you possibly expect for those April weekday matchups?

2000 might even be generous this year.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because all you need to do is subtract 2000-2500 at most from those announced attendance numbers to arrive at the actual "real" number of season ticket holders.

How many individual ticket buyers and walk ups could you possibly expect for those April weekday matchups?

The walk up total is probably closer to 0 for those games as season ticket holders dump for pennies on the dollar on resale sites.  Zero reason to buy from box office for games like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That is pretty much what I was trying to say. It's a good indicator of what our season ticket base looks like 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm actually thinking of going down to spring training, but it's at least partially driven by the WBC and chance to see the games in Phoenix. If I did go to a Sox game I'd boo the piss out of Hahn if I saw him on a back field.

Yeah I’ll be down there the 9-13th of March. Only have the plane ticket and hotel reservations made, still deciding on whether I want to subject myself to the pain of White Sox Baseball this early on. Although that was my initial plan, just have had a tough time getting excited for this group

• Like 1

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is pretty much what I was trying to say. It's a good indicator of what our season ticket base looks like 

This is turning into an Abbott and Costello routine.  Look at last years lowest attended game (probably early April) and subtract 1% and that is your season ticket base. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is turning into an Abbott and Costello routine.  Look at last years lowest attended game (probably early April) and subtract 1% and that is your season ticket base. 

*Your full-season ticket base.  It won't capture partial season plans, which are heavily weighted to weekend games. My 20 game plan had like 2-3 midweek games and they were all later, and relatively high profile matchups. 

I'm guessing the partial-season ticket base is a lot more variable than the full-season ticket base, but really no sure.

9 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Very cheap concessions. A lot of their concession items are $3 or less. They have seen their sales go up ever since slashing all their concession prices 

Interesting. So you can get a beer or a large slice of pizza at a Falcons game for $3 or less? I would think all the $3 items would be stale plain hot dogs or small bags of popcorn. 

https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/mercedes-benz-stadium-cuts-food-prices-second-time/

Here's an older article on it. 

Basically the fans spend more if you lower prices so although the margins are cut, the profits are similar. 

Think $20mm revenues at 50% profit = 10mm gross profit

$40mm revenues at 25% profit = 10mm gross profit. 

Those aren't the figures obviously, but the line of thinking behind it. You don't lose a whole ton of money and you build goodwill with your fan base. A novel idea that JR would never consider ... caring about your fans. One would think in a city where you're competing for a fan base he'd put in some effort, but yet, they seem to try and repel fans. 

• Like 1

Just now, he gone. said:

https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/mercedes-benz-stadium-cuts-food-prices-second-time/

Here's an older article on it. 

Basically the fans spend more if you lower prices so although the margins are cut, the profits are similar. 

Think $20mm revenues at 50% profit = 10mm gross profit

$40mm revenues at 25% profit = 10mm gross profit. 

Those aren't the figures obviously, but the line of thinking behind it. You don't lose a whole ton of money and you build goodwill with your fan base. A novel idea that JR would never consider ... caring about your fans. One would think in a city where you're competing for a fan base he'd put in some effort, but yet, they seem to try and repel fans. 

Its been part of the philosophy it seems which is arrogant most of the time. "We're smarter than you...how dare you question us!"

The other part of that is increased attendance. Parking volume, t-shirt sales, etc. etc. 

If you reduce the pain point of food & beverage and the experience is more obtainable how many more customers do you get in the gates and you now have a captured audience for 3-4 hours who are happier and maybe willing to buy that overpriced T-shirt or come back for another game. 

Or you can like, do a tiered pricing structure for the corner sections by the foul poles. That way row 4 there costs more than row 6 and row 6 more than row 12. haha.