LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

Realistically, Williams and Hahn aren’t going anywhere. This is the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf we are talking about.
However, if Bernstein’s report is indeed true, then I agree with Matt Spiegel’s assessment, they need to bring someone from outside the organization to manage the team and have the ability to pick their own coaching staff without holdovers. Yes, even Katz.

Now I’m wondering who that is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Realistically, Williams and Hahn aren’t going anywhere. This is the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf we are talking about.
However, if Bernstein’s report is indeed true, then I agree with Matt Spiegel’s assessment, they need to bring someone from outside the organization to manage the team and have the ability to pick their own coaching staff without holdovers. Yes, even Katz.

Now I’m wondering who that is.

Pitching and hitting coaches are typically now GM/Org hires since they dictate the approach of the entire organization. 

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I laughed audibly. I expect an apology for my wife yelling at me for waking her up.

29 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Even so, the manager could be hired with the intent of collaborating with the GM on those hires.

This.

If the manager and GM aren't aligned on roster construction and overall strategy, then I feel like it's just another case study in inefficient organizational management.

Whoever is actually in charge needs to have his / her / their philosophy congruent with what is being taught all the way down the organization. Furthermore, what is being taught / preached down the organization needs to be congruent with what it takes to be successful as a baseball team (not this "you worked for 15 years as a personal janitor to the assistant to the traveling secretary, so you're being rewarded with a position of baseball significance" thing that JR does).

Naturally, the coaching staff needs to buy into whatever the GM has in mind, which should naturally be congruent with what the manager's hiring and teaching would also align.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The whole coaching staff is most likely be gone including Katz. Usually the new manager wants his own personnel. If Katz is gone Gio will probably be traded as well.

I think Katz is likely highly regarded enough around baseball circles to survive and be hired by whomever the next manager is.  Maybe Cairo as well, although quite frankly Cairo could be potentially up for a managerial job even outside the White Sox.  I'm also not sold on Gio being traded.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead, or at least retiring on Monday
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to LaRussa retiring on Monday
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic