LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

We all know Reinsdorf isn't selling the team any time soon, so let's not even consider that to be a possibility moving forward.  Hahn most likely stays, even though he should probably be canned.  So, what we're going to get for 2023 is a new manager.  Hopefully they make a wise hire this time.

Then, it will be necessary for Hahn to put together a better team.

5 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Cairo lost me with that move, a big unforced error to bring a rookie to protect a 3-1 lead-in the 7th.of the most important game of the year.  This game closed the curtains on the Sox season.  I was in favor of retaining Cairo before this game, but not anymore after the 7 losses that followed.  Send Cairo back to Egypt for all I care.

Does Ethan Katz offer no feedback or opinion in this spot, or is it just the White Sox way that he offers an opinion and is always ignored?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sarava said:

It wouldn't shock me if Katz is gone, if for no other reason than a 100% culture change. This team seriously needs a heart transplant, and the easiest place to start is a 100% turnover in the coaching staff. Katz did some good things, but there were also some disappointments in the staff. I'm fine whichever way that goes.

And for Giolito - seriously, who cares if he is traded? He is a bottom of rotation guy now.

You’re not getting a lot for him. Sox are far better off betting on Lucas - who has already bet on himself - than trading him. I for the life of me cannot wrap my head the trade Lucas crowd. It makes less than no sense. 

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

We all know Reinsdorf isn't selling the team any time soon, so let's not even consider that to be a possibility moving forward.  Hahn most likely stays, even though he should probably be canned.  So, what we're going to get for 2023 is a new manager.  Hopefully they make a wise hire this time.

Then, it will be necessary for Hahn to put together a better team.

How about letting one of his kids run the org then? I far prefer Michael's Bulls management over the previous era. Let them take a crack at the Sox. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

I will believe it when I see it. The Score has been predicting the end of TLR all season and has been constantly wrong. That station is a crapfest 

Northbrook Bob and Eloy vs Wall confirmed that Mike Rodriguez’ report and source is true. Their sources are usually always spot on.

Edited by maloney.adam

13 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d be stunned if Ethan Katz isn’t the pitching coach in 2023. That wasn’t a La Russa hire. 

I just think most managers want their own people, even if Katz is a good pitching coach. It's simple...if you want to be successful or even worse case fail...you need to do that with your own people. The Sox need a clean slate with the manager and coaches. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’re not getting a lot for him. Sox are far better off betting on Lucas - who has already bet on himself - than trading him. I for the life of me cannot wrap my head the trade Lucas crowd. It makes less than no sense. 

If it's such a no brainer to bet on Giolito, then why don't you think you would get a lot for him? It's not like the Sox are smarter than other teams. Quite the opposite has proven true in recent years.

Again, I am in the 'don't care' category. He was a very big part of why this season sucked. He may bounce back in 2023. Or maybe he won't. But what is he expecting to get, around 10 mil? Maybe they'll feel that's worth the risk. Or maybe someone like Quintana might prove to be a safer bet in their minds, for around the same dollars?

25 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If it's such a no brainer to bet on Giolito, then why don't you think you would get a lot for him? It's not like the Sox are smarter than other teams. Quite the opposite has proven true in recent years.

Again, I am in the 'don't care' category. He was a very big part of why this season sucked. He may bounce back in 2023. Or maybe he won't. But what is he expecting to get, around 10 mil? Maybe they'll feel that's worth the risk. Or maybe someone like Quintana might prove to be a safer bet in their minds, for around the same dollars?

I think a little under $10 million, and I think Quintana will likely get a decent amount more than that. 

19 hours ago, The Beast said:

Realistically, Williams and Hahn aren’t going anywhere. This is the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf we are talking about.
However, if Bernstein’s report is indeed true, then I agree with Matt Spiegel’s assessment, they need to bring someone from outside the organization to manage the team and have the ability to pick their own coaching staff without holdovers. Yes, even Katz.

Now I’m wondering who that is.

Matt Spiegel's assessment, really!!!  This board already came to that conclusion many moons ago.

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As Rick likes to say, there is a guy that checks all the boxes. Sandy Alomar Jr. Knows the Cleveland way. Is part of the White Sox "family". And was 27-19 as an interim manager last season. The guy has come in 2nd for a ton of jobs. I wouldn't mind him on the South Side. 

Plus a guy who should be able to relate to the Latin players, their culture, and language.

• Like 2

This from DVS Saturday story in the Sun-Times:

"A  source close to La Russa and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he expects Reinsdorf to give La Russa the option of coming back but also will encourage him not to do so for his own personal good.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"A  source close to La Russa and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he expects Reinsdorf to give La Russa the option of coming back but also will encourage him not to do so for his own personal good.

Ah yes, the Sox always giving their fan base a reason to believe.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, Sarava said:

Because his value is as low as it’s ever been and he has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter? I don’t see how this is hard to understand. 

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because his value is as low as it’s ever been and he has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter? I don’t see how this is hard to understand. 

You're not making any sense. He's a great bet for the White sox but a terrible one for everyone else. And you can go ahead and lose the attitude.

18 hours ago, Sarava said:

You're not making any sense. He's a great bet for the White sox but a terrible one for everyone else. And you can go ahead and lose the attitude.

Why is it so confusing? The talent is there. I’d rather bet on him pitching like he has before rather than trade him for nothing. Team won’t be trading top prospects at the chance to gamble on him so might as well hold onto him.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Holy ****!  We know the Sox are the dumbest org in sports, but this is a new low. I would say the odds of TLR wanting to prove the doubters wrong and go out on a high note are about 50/50. If he were looking out for his health, he wouldn’t have taken the job in the first place.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead, or at least retiring on Monday
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to LaRussa retiring on Monday
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic