LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

30 minutes ago, Highland said:

I only hope the White Sox do a professional search for a manager. I've seen some employers spend more time hiring a minimum wage worker than the Sox when hiring a manager for a major league baseball team.

I want Hahn fired as much as anyone, but to be fair he had planned on running a legitimate manager search prior to Jerry intervening.

• Like 3

Don't hire a former Sox player unless he has significant managing experience. Frankly I'd hire Ozzie again with a lot of $$ stipulations (penalties) if he opens his mouth and utters anything controversial.

He must be getting better at speaking his mind without getting canceled. He hasn't said anything as an analyst the past many years that's made headlines. I guess there's the risk of picketers retrieving stuff he said in the past and causing trouble if he returns. Things said in the past seem to be cause for worldly consternation these days. I'd choose him though.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Holy s%*# this is tremendous news!  The reign of terror is finally over!!

The reign of terror is over when the Reinsdorf cabal is no longer in the owner"s suite.

This ending was predictable the day TLR was hired.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, GradMc said:

The reign of terror is over when the Reinsdorf cabal is no longer in the owner"s suite.

This ending was predictable the day TLR was hired.

42 years of one mind-numbing, franchise-crippling decision after another.  If you take a step back and have a holistic review of the four plus decades of ownership by Reinsdorf, it’s beyond appalling.  He’s really been a horrible owner.

It would be a dream come true if Reinsdorf joined his dear pal tomorrow and surprised us all with the announcement he was selling the club and walking away as well.  Won’t happen, but it’s fun to dream about.  

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Don't hire a former Sox player unless he has significant managing experience. Frankly I'd hire Ozzie again with a lot of $$ stipulations (penalties) if he opens his mouth and utters anything controversial.

He must be getting better at speaking his mind without getting canceled. He hasn't said anything as an analyst the past many years that's made headlines. I guess there's the risk of picketers retrieving stuff he said in the past and causing trouble if he returns. Things said in the past seem to be cause for worldly consternation these days. I'd choose him though.

Even if Ozzie was able to control his own mouth, he couldn't control his kids' mouths.

As much as I'd love to see how Ozzie handles this bunch of players, it would just not work on so many levels.

Therefore they will probably hire him.

It's just how they roll.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why is it so confusing? The talent is there. I’d rather bet on him pitching like he has before rather than trade him for nothing. Team won’t be trading top prospects at the chance to gamble on him so might as well hold onto him.

There's nothing confusing. He's the same potential risk vs. reward for the White Sox as he would be for every other team in baseball. I'm fine bringing him back - but they better not depend on him as anything more than a #5.

There isn’t a manager the Sox could hire that would make me feel good about 2023. 

Can it help the team in 2023 and be a large upgrade over the staff they’ve had the last two years? For sure. But the manager is coaching the team built by the three headed monster that is currently on pace to have 8 of the last 10 seasons end with a below .500 record. 

The best coaching staff in the world isn’t overcoming that. 

3 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

42 years of one mind-numbing, franchise-crippling decision after another.  If you take a step back and have a holistic review of the four plus decades of ownership by Reinsdorf, it’s beyond appalling.  He’s really been a horrible owner.

It would be a dream come true if Reinsdorf joined his dear pal tomorrow and surprised us all with the announcement he was selling the club and walking away as well.  Won’t happen, but it’s fun to dream about.  

And will leave as the most successful owner in franchise history. 

From championships to return on his partners investment. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Obviously it’s comiskey and it’s not close between the two.

It is interesting that Tony's fault was not holding players accountable and not getting in their faces enough. That was the opposite from what many people predicted would be his demise. He let the players determine their own fate. 

Now we're hoping for in your face motivation. I never would have predicted that. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Obviously it’s comiskey and it’s not close between the two.

If you ignore the Black Sox scandal. JR got the team into a great stadium deal.  Where are you going to put JR? He's got to at least be second. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It is interesting that Tony's fault was not holding players accountable and not getting in their faces enough. That was the opposite from what many people predicted would be his demise. He let the players determine their own fate. 

Now we're hoping for in your face motivation. I never would have predicted that. 

You're right. But now we've watched a season where all too often the guys didn't appear to be playing hard. Other teams took advantage of this all season long. A new manager will help, but there's does need to be some roster changes as well IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you ignore the Black Sox scandal. JR got the team into a great stadium deal.  Where are you going to put JR? He's got to at least be second. 

He won 5 pennants. 

Everything, from post season to revenue is easier for an owner at JRs time in history. Add that he was given a division of small money owners in declining markets. He wasn’t competing with the 20s or 60s Yankees. 

38 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Faint praise.  You’re comparing him to Comiskey, Veeck, and the Allyns, the last two with no money to spend and without a sweetheart lease deal.  

None of those previous owners had near the resources afforded Reinsdorf, and yet with such an advantage, just one trip to the World Series, and ZERO playoff series wins in the other 41 years.  

PATHETIC.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1