LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

If Hahn isn't gone, it really doesn't matter who the next manager is.  Once he's gone, almost half of this roster can go, but he absolutely cannot be the one making those decisions.  Sure, will it be better without TLR?  Without a doubt it would.  Still doesn't mean this team, or one constructed by Hahn could win a World Series. 

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

If you ignore the Black Sox scandal. JR got the team into a great stadium deal.  Where are you going to put JR? He's got to at least be second. 

I'd put him in the spot where he almost destroyed a franchise. Screw the stadium deal. That stadium was not built for the average fan, and, when it opened, looked like a giant toilet bowl.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

If you ignore the Black Sox scandal. JR got the team into a great stadium deal.  Where are you going to put JR? He's got to at least be second. 

He did get a great stadium deal, Problem is he got it built in a  unpopular location and the stadium has a miserable upper deck that nobody likes.

11 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Read the fucking fine print in Bob’s article:

Fucking shitshow.

Damn, so Bernstein may have been wrong with his reporting.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:
The individuals are presented in alphabetical order.
  1. Brad Ausmus, Athletics bench coach. ...
  2. Joe Espada, Astros bench coach. ...
  3. Matt Quatraro, Rays bench coach. ...
  4. Mike Scioscia, Team USA manager. ...
  5. Rob Thomson, Phillies interim manager. ...
  6. Dusty Wathan, Phillies third base coach.  Son of John.
Top candidates when they were pushing Girardi out in Philly...would personally prefer Bochy to Scioscia/Maddon.  Have already talked about Harris Beltran Alomar Jr.

Fwiw, Bob Melvin has been a steadying presence in SD, quite similar to Bruce B.

Francona or Micah Hyde are manager of the year in the AL, Mariners #3.

Look to Guardians, Rays, Brewers staffs.

Pass on Ausmus, Bochy, Scioscia, Girardi, AJP, Harris, Maddon and Guillen. Interview Espada, Quatraro, Alomar, Jr. and Beltran.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

I’d rather have seen Tony publicly humiliated and fired into the sun. But I guess this will have to do. 

Sox immediately become more viable next season with this clown out of the way, but lots of work to do. Ready to start seeing that progress tomorrow. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4
  • TLR 1

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

And will leave as the most successful owner in franchise history. 

From championships to return on his partners investment. 

Does Not Compute

Charles Comiskey 31 Years, 2 World Series Championships, 4 AL Pennants

Jerry Reinsdorf 42 years, 1 World Series Championship, 1 AL Pennant

Edited by South Side Hit Men

11 hours ago, Sarava said:

You're right. But now we've watched a season where all too often the guys didn't appear to be playing hard. Other teams took advantage of this all season long. A new manager will help, but there's does need to be some roster changes as well IMO.

No doubt about it. Even JR JR has to see it. 

11 hours ago, bmags said:

He won 5 pennants. 

Everything, from post season to revenue is easier for an owner at JRs time in history. Add that he was given a division of small money owners in declining markets. He wasn’t competing with the 20s or 60s Yankees. 

So where does JR rank? I'll give you Charles in first. Although I imagine in today's world he might have been forced to sell after the scandal. 

Sadly Charles was one hundred years ago. 

11 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Faint praise.  You’re comparing him to Comiskey, Veeck, and the Allyns, the last two with no money to spend and without a sweetheart lease deal.  

None of those previous owners had near the resources afforded Reinsdorf, and yet with such an advantage, just one trip to the World Series, and ZERO playoff series wins in the other 41 years.  

PATHETIC.    

So you'll be happy with another no money owner? 

It's a long history of owners, managers, coaches, scouts, secretaries, janitors, and players not winning anything. 

10 hours ago, Highland said:

I'd put him in the spot where he almost destroyed a franchise. Screw the stadium deal. That stadium was not built for the average fan, and, when it opened, looked like a giant toilet bowl.

Stadiums aren't built anymore for the average fan. Lux suites and television are far more important. 

10 hours ago, WBWSF said:

He did get a great stadium deal, Problem is he got it built in a  unpopular location and the stadium has a miserable upper deck that nobody likes.

I don't believe Chicago was as unpopular as Florida with the local fans. 

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Does Not Compute

Charles Comiskey 31 Years, 2 World Series Championships, 4 AL Pennants

Jerry Reinsdorf 42 years, 1 World Series Championship, 1 AL Pennant

Black Sox. Nearly destroyed baseball. Would anyone here give JR a pass if it was learned his team threw last year's playoff series because he was cheap? 

But I'll give you Charles as your #1. Anyone you want to fit in between? One hundred years of other owners to choose from. 

I'm not saying he's a good owner, I'm suggesting this is one of the worst franchise in all of sports. It was when he bought it and it still is. From the lowest paid to the owner's box, they all suck and have for most of the 100 plus years. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Black Sox. Nearly destroyed baseball. Would anyone here give JR a pass if it was learned his team threw last year's playoff series because he was cheap? 

But I'll give you Charles as your #1. Anyone you want to fit in between? One hundred years of other owners to choose from. 

I'm not saying he's a good owner, I'm suggesting this is one of the worst franchise in all of sports. It was when he bought it and it still is. From the lowest paid to the owner's box, they all suck and have for most of the 100 plus years. 

John Allyn was pretty terrible.

13 hours ago, chw42 said:

Praying that Hahn isn't at the presser since he's getting fired. 

I guess you could be in the presser and still fire Hahn.  But it sounds like he will still be with the Sox. So best hope is Hahn is in another position w/o involvement in day to day activity. 

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d rather have seen Tony publicly humiliated and fired into the sun. But I guess this will have to do. 

Sox immediately become more viable next season with this clown out of the way, but lots of work to do. Ready to start seeing that progress tomorrow. 

New manager has to be an upgrade to TLR.   Then again, who is picking?