LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Black Sox. Nearly destroyed baseball. Would anyone here give JR a pass if it was learned his team threw last year's playoff series because he was cheap? 

But I'll give you Charles as your #1. Anyone you want to fit in between? One hundred years of other owners to choose from. 

I'm not saying he's a good owner, I'm suggesting this is one of the worst franchise in all of sports. It was when he bought it and it still is. From the lowest paid to the owner's box, they all suck and have for most of the 100 plus years. 

There would be no Chicago White Sox if it weren't for Bill Veeck saving the team in 1975.

His choice as replacement was Ed DeBartolo. Cowardly American League owners didn't provide the 75% approval (8 to 6 in favor, needed 11) because cheap ass bastards like Bud Selig didn't want a smart successful owner to join their ranks. So Sox fans instead got nearly a half century of "One Shining Moment" and crates full of carrots to show for it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I guess you could be in the presser and still fire Hahn.  But it sounds like he will still be with the Sox. So best hope is Hahn is in another position w/o involvement in day to day activity. 

Bob Nightengale should remain primary spokesperson and conduct the press conference for the White Sox.

Nightengale, not Hahn, broke all of the important White Sox news since Hahn claimed he was going to conduct a managerial search, including La Russa's hiring, illness, departure from the team, and now his retirement.

Hahn let an interim manager and players in the clubhouse address the media when La Russa left the team.

He can continue his Ryan Pace act, hopefully he joins Ryan Pace at IDES later this month.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

45 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This is so embarrassing. 

Never forget when Nightengale went on white sox talk and dismissed TLR potentially not being able to start 2021 Spring Training on time due to legal issues around his DWI arrest and compared it to David Ross not being able to start spring training the previous year due to the flu. It was exactly the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder since they plan to hold players more accountable next season, if that same policy will go up the flag pole to the top.

"You guys are coasting in your jobs and it needs to stop" Says Rick Hahn, 10 year GM with 2 winning seasons under his belt

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know if anyone else emailed Brooks Boyer back in 2020 about the TLR hire, but boy are they fun to look back on a day like today.

I emailed Brooks and a few others.  I might have to dig through my email to find those responses. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder since they plan to hold players more accountable next season, if that same policy will go up the flag pole to the top.

s%*# doesn't roll up hill. Employees take the crap. Because if ,as an employee, you bash you employer, you aren't an employee much longer The guys upstairs judge you , you don't judge them.

I have disliked Tony La Russa going way back to the 90's, but i can't help but feel sad about this . not for La Russa, but for Sox fans . this isn't what we were supposed to be doing in October 2022 . Jerry Reinsdorf, with a team that he was led to believe were world beaters, must have envisioned La Russa leading this team to the promised land, and instead, they were just pathetic . wallowed in mediocrity and failure, while Hahn & Williams played musical chairs . many people think that this team will be fine next year, but i'm thinking that they are in danger of being an average team for years.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

I have disliked Tony La Russa going way back to the 90's, but i can't help but feel sad about this . not for La Russa, but for Sox fans . this isn't what we were supposed to be doing in October 2022 . Jerry Reinsdorf, with a team that he was led to believe were world beaters, must have envisioned La Russa leading this team to the promised land, and instead, they were just pathetic . wallowed in mediocrity and failure, while Hahn & Williams played musical chairs . many people think that this team will be fine next year, but i'm thinking that they are in danger of being an average team for years.

Oh there is absolutely a huge risk now of this all falling apart. After 2023 they clear one bad contract (Grandal) but they lose 2/5 of their current starting rotation (Giolito, Lynn) and none of their top pitching prospects look to be anywhere close to ready by 2023 (unless they try to stretch out Crochet). So they would have some money to spend, but a lot of people to replace, and we've seen how risky the FA market is when you can't afford the top guys. 2024 loses Anderson (who does have a potential replacement) and most of the bullpen. On top of that, we've seen a young Guardians team already step up and put them in their place, and the Royals and Tigers have a ton of youth sitting around that won't be 23 years old and inexperienced forever.

After they made the playoffs in 2020, it looked like 2021-2023 was the window where this team could be peaking and have a solid path to the playoffs before they started losing guys to FA and the Tigers and Royals stepped up. They wasted 2 of those years on LaRussa and have a fresh challenge from Cleveland, but the 2023 point where the White Sox could start getting worse still stands. If they miss the playoffs again in 2023, I don't know what they would think their path back is - other than selling off Cease and others.

• Like 3

I know they want to give TLR a graceful way to end his tenure with the Sox, and that's fine I guess.  But I don't know how people like Nightengale can say with a serious face that the Sox would have been just as bad with another manager.  I mean, just the use of Leury alone cost them several wins.  Cairo all but kept Leury on the bench.  The handling of the bullpen was embarrassingly bad at times, especially considering TLR was supposed to be a genius with bullpens.  Not knowing rules, falling asleep in the dugout (on TV), throwing players under the bus, telling young superstars to take it easy and not hustle.  Need I go on?

Good riddance two years too late.

• Like 4