LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

Someone needs to tell FOX 32 they are still broadcasting 

That was fun - I was listening hoping to hear someone say something like, “well that was fucking horseshit.”

Positives: Bologna is out of the entire organization and it seems most of the coaching staff may follow suit.

Negatives: The brain trust survives. Our roster and payroll is a mess that will rely on bounce back years. So cool.

• Like 1

Sheets' improved performance in 2022 at least puts him in the conversation to be a Left handed platoon player (RF/DH/1B) in 2023.  I think that depends, in part, on what Colas can do. The Sox should have allowed Colas as a September call-up to help make that determination.

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Disappointment that TLR did not resign before the season with pacemaker issue and another undisclosed heart problem, plus the DUI at age 78.  It was irresponsible from TLR and the FO.  

Tony turns 78 tomorrow. Hopefully his wife can drive. 

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What was the response? I tuned out about five minutes into Hahn’s portion.

He said that if he thought he couldn't do the job, then he wouldn't be here (as if his fate is his decision).  Then, predictably, he alluded to the "executive of the year" commendations of 2 years ago.

Watching the Tony portion now. He was more articulate, lucid, and alive today than at any point starting with his introductory press conference two years ago. He was also showed a good personal side today. I give him credit for his statement, taking questions, and answering candidly.

I hope he is able to return to full health and he can enjoy his time in retirement.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Watching the Tony portion now. He was more articulate, lucid, and alive today than at any point starting with his introductory press conference two years ago. He was also showed a good personal side today. I give him credit for his statement, taking questions, and answering candidly.

I hope he is able to return to full health and he can enjoy his time in retirement.

I appreciated his direct honesty today

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

No, I'm off by a year. I stank by my assessment that he looks like someone who's quit drinking.

Just watching the Tony portion now. Dang if you ain't right in your assessment. He looks leaner, his complexion is clearer, his speech pattern less halting, and his thought process way more lucid. Night and day from so many of his post game press conferences the past 2 seasons. 

31 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Sheets should be a guy they platoon at DH/1B. Hopefully, neither of them should see OF work ever again unless it's an emergency. 

They need lefties but Sheets is kind of meh. He has improved a bit. 

I respect Tony's statement: "Our team's record this season is the final reality," La Russa said in the statement. "It is an unacceptable disappointment. There were some pluses, but too many minuses. In the Major Leagues, you either do or you don't. Explanations come across as excuses. Respect and trust demand accountability, and during my managerial career, I understood that the ultimate responsibility for each minus belongs to the manager. I was hired to provide positive, difference-making leadership and support. Our record is proof. I did not do my job."

-- I mean he publicly states he was an abject failure. To pile on IMO is unnecessary. It didn't work out. We also as fans don't know if these players just don't have "it." Was Tony managing a bunch of non-winners? Possibly. I'm just saying I respect him for 100 percent blaming himself.

I know some can't forgive him for the second DUI. Whatever. It's inexcusable, yes. Do I know individuals who have had two DUIs and not spent more than overnight in jail? Yes. Have I removed them from my life because of my horror in their behavior? No. Yes he disappoints me for the dual DUIs. But I still commend him for a fine career, a Hall of Fame career, and trying to manage the White Sox to success. DUI? Yes shame on him. But it doesn't make him the scourge of the earth, either.

Thanx for trying Tony. I have no doubt you gave it a good effort. These two teams were two of my least fave in Sox history but I don't blame u completely.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

The final numbers:

MLB

1. Connie Mack 3,731 - 3,948 - 79 .486 (53 Seasons - Pittsburgh N. L. & Philadelphia A. L.)
  2. Tony La Russa 2,900 - 2,514 - 4 .536 (35 Seasons - Chicago A. L., Oakland A. L. & Saint Louis N. L.)
  3. John McGraw 2,763 - 1,948 - 58 .586 (33 Seasons, Baltimore N. L., Baltimore A. L. & New York N. L.)

White Sox

• Wins: 1. Jimmy Dykes 899; 2. Al Lopez 840; 3. Tony La Russa 694; 4. Ozzie Guillen 678
  • Loses: 1. Jimmy Dykes 940; 2. Tony La Russa 659; 3. Al Lopez 650; 4. Ozzie Guillen 617
  • Win Loss Percentage: Tony La Russa Tied for 14th .513

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I believe Ozzie just said they already know who the manager is. He gave 2 names to Our Chuck and said it would be one of those two names, and I think he said he got it directly from Hahn. I couldn't really understand him but that's how I took it.

Sounds like he meant it's his opinion. He didn't get it from Rick Hahn lol

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Or even worse, the aging manager doesn’t listen to anyone and keeps sending hurt players out to play and also tells them not to go as hard which backfires terribly 

Wow. Did he do that? If so, that's sad. Maybe one of the injured you mention will publicly blast Tony for this.

Edited by greg775