LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Speaking of Sheets...

His defense has actually gotten much better. He's still not good, but his OAA/DRS numbers actually don't look disastrous. 

If you wanted to see disastrous, look at Andrew Vaughn's fielding numbers. 

The first paragraph is literally exactly what we said about Andrew Vaughn last offseason and we used that to justify him being out there again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The first paragraph is literally exactly what we said about Andrew Vaughn last offseason and we used that to justify him being out there again.

That's true. I don't think either of those guys should get a chance to be an OFer in the future. Sheets has improved, but I don't think he has the speed and athletic ability to play out there. Same with Vaughn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I believe Ozzie just said they already know who the manager is. He gave 2 names to Our Chuck and said it would be one of those two names, and I think he said he got it directly from Hahn. I couldn't really understand him but that's how I took it.

That's the opposite of what happened.  He THINKS he knows and was guessing ahead of time.

• Hawk 1

Just now, mmmmmbeeer said:

Bye, Jose.  He gawn.  For as great as Rick is at saying nothing, he definitely (unintentionally) showed his cards when the subject of Jose came up.  

It's either retain him or trade Vaughn. It really makes no sense to trade Vaughn since he's got 4 years of cheap control left and is 10+ years younger. Jose will still be a decent player for another year or two, but the money can be spent better elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's either retain him or trade Vaughn. It really makes no sense to trade Vaughn since he's got 4 years of cheap control left and is 10+ years younger. Jose will still be a decent player for another year or two, but the money can be spent better elsewhere. 

I love Jose to death, but yeah... it's for him to go, unless Eloy can magically stay healthy enough to play LF full time and they are able to trade Sheets + others for a useful piece. In that case, you go Vaughn as everyday 1B / Jose as DH.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I love Jose to death, but yeah... it's for him to go, unless Eloy can magically stay healthy enough to play LF full time and they are able to trade Sheets + others for a useful piece. In that case, you go Vaughn as everyday 1B / Jose as DH.

Eloy needs to be the DH. The injury risk is too high. His bat is too valuable and his glove is too much of a liability to risk like that. I don't know what else we need to see to prove this. Unless the Sox just like wasting money. I also would like to be paid millions to either sit on my ass or get cut from the team because I suck at the game (looking at you Kuechel).

• Like 2

All this shows me is that TLR was not sober the majority of the season. They hired a fucking drunk, as almost everyone suspected. His health issues might be alcoholism. Who knows? It could also be a different health issue that forced him to stop drinking.

Either way, f*** this organization for hiring a drunk, and allowing that drunk to waste an entire fucking season.

11 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Eloy needs to be the DH. The injury risk is too high. His bat is too valuable and his glove is too much of a liability to risk like that. I don't know what else we need to see to prove this. Unless the Sox just like wasting money. I also would like to be paid millions to either sit on my ass or get cut from the team because I suck at the game (looking at you Kuechel).

Yes - thus the "magically" qualifier to "stay healthy."

I really hope that an overhaul of the medical staff (to help prevent soft tissue injuries) and coaching staff (to instill some semblance of discipline and accountability, such as for fitness and preventative maintenance by the players) would help, but in general I agree with you.

As a result, Jose will ideally be gone.

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The fact that he had to caveat “might” is real scary

Eh this is also silly season. Hahn always plays those games of not trying to give away the blatantly obvious. It’s when he tries to give a sound bite that he gets himself in trouble! “We are looking to add middle of the order bats, not just one”. “Ask me after the parade.” “If we keep playing like this we will be right there at the end.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

That's true. I don't think either of those guys should get a chance to be an OFer in the future. Sheets has improved, but I don't think he has the speed and athletic ability to play out there. Same with Vaughn. 

That improvement may also be a short lived statistical quirk. That’s what happened with Vaughn last year. Defensive stats just don’t do that well over short terms.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Eh this is also silly season. Hahn always plays those games of not trying to give away the blatantly obvious. It’s when he tries to give a sound bite that he gets himself in trouble! “We are looking to add middle of the order bats, not just one”. “Ask me after the parade.” “If we keep playing like this we will be right there at the end.”

Maybe if he hadn’t bungled RF for multiple straight years and didn’t have an obsession with playing 1B/DH types out of position I’d feel better.  IMO, there is zero reason to say anything but “upgrading our corner OF defense will be a major priority for us this off-season”.  I know Rick is going to Hahn, but he should avoid the lawyer speak after this s%*# show of a season.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe if he hadn’t bungled RF for multiple straight years and didn’t have an obsession with playing 1B/DH types out of position I’d feel better.  IMO, there is zero reason to say anything but “upgrading our corner OF defense will be a major priority for us this off-season”.  I know Rick is going to Hahn, but he should avoid the lawyer speak after this s%*# show of a season.

He says that and then Abreu decides to play one more year and Reinsdorf says oops there’s your FA money figure the rest out.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Sheets should be a guy they platoon at DH/1B. Hopefully, neither of them should see OF work ever again unless it's an emergency. 

Nah. Sheets should be a guy they park in Charlotte until he’s needed. He has an option. Use it. Let him and Burger be pure depth. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah. Sheets should be a guy they park in Charlotte until he’s needed. He has an option. Use it. Let him and Burger be pure depth. 

They should be depth, but Rick on a shoestring budget definitely scares me and neither guy has much trade value.  A desperate Hahn is a dangerous Hahn.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They should be depth, but Rick on a shoestring budget definitely scares me and neither guy has much trade value.  A desperate Hahn is a dangerous Hahn.

If the budget is that thin, then just keep AV, sign a cheap reclamation project SP and OF. Relying on Sheets and Burger as plan A for anything is just awful. 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Tony's second White Sox tenure was an unmitigated disaster. No offense to Tony. Aging is unavoidable and he was a walking old guy. 

Only thing worse than Tony was the alarming amount of injuries in his tenure. That's either because we draft injury prone players or we have an abysmal training program/staff of docs and trainers.

Good point.  I believe we draft/sign/trade for players that are injury prone. Trade for Eaton a couple of years ago is an example of signing injury prone players, and there are others.  I know Robert and Eloy were both injury prone in the minors, and low and behold that has proved to be true in the Bigs. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Sheets has improved more than Vaughn and helps that he is a lefty.  Vaughn has not looked good defensively even at first base.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Absolute horse s%*# and yet completely par for the course that they didn't disclose his additional health issues in February. Dude should never have been managing this team. You can't tell me it didn't affect him. This is a young man's league for the most part.

Fixed that for you. 

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Almost 200m and it’s considered a shoestring budget…. That alone should get him fired. With the financial resources he’s had the guy should have easily filled the holes this team had well known walking into the year.

I honestly think that we can thank Balogna for Leury and Kelly but that’s only what…. 15 million or so?

We can hang more than 15 million in bad contracts on Hahn easily I’d wager.

Valesquez, Diekman, and Pollock alone amount to about what… 18 million?

Put those two groups together and you’ve got 33 million dollars.

That’s more than it would have taken to sign Schwarber and Peterson.