Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

Hahn's wants for manager:

1. Managed recently, has managed on championship teams
2. Good communicator
3. Someone who understands modern baseball
4. Connection with the Sox not needed
5. Cairo will get an interview

Looks like they are looking for the anti TLR.

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the budget is that thin, then just keep AV, sign a cheap reclamation project SP and OF. Relying on Sheets and Burger as plan A for anything is just awful. 

I agree on the latter, but Rick may see more upside with those two as a 1B platoon than what a scrap-heap SP or OF would provide.  Not saying it’s the route I would go, but it definitely hints of Rick logic.

11 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Almost 200m and it’s considered a shoestring budget…. That alone should get him fired. With the financial resources he’s had the guy should have easily filled the holes this team had well known walking into the year.

I honestly think that we can thank Balogna for Leury and Kelly but that’s only what…. 15 million or so?

We can hang more than 15 million in bad contracts on Hahn easily I’d wager.

Valesquez, Diekman, and Pollock alone amount to about what… 18 million?

Put those two groups together and you’ve got 33 million dollars.

That’s more than it would have taken to sign Schwarber and Peterson.

That’s the problem.  Give a quality GM a $200M budget and we’d blow this s%*# division out of the water.  The problem is the bad money and over-investment in the bullpen that will leave little money heading into the off-season.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

Speaking of Sheets...

His defense has actually gotten much better. He's still not good, but his OAA/DRS numbers actually don't look disastrous. 

If you wanted to see disastrous, look at Andrew Vaughn's fielding numbers. 

Look at them on the bases is all you need to know.  They make easy catches look spectacular.

The contrast between La Russa's letter in which he accepted special and specific responsibility (I missed his spoken comments) and Hahn's comments where he accepted no specific nor special responsibility ("we're all responsible"; "no one feels worse about this than I do") was stunning. 
LaRussa really fell on the sword for this FO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Cairo bringing in Jimmy Lambert in the 7 th to protect a 3-1 lead against the Guardians having ReyLo available, cost Cairo the job.

One good thing it stopped the inevitable. This team wasn't going anywhere had they won that game, but damn what a stupid decision and it should have sealed his fate.

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

2. Good communicator

Feel like this is pretty much the same list as 2 years ago

I give TLR credit for owning the failures. It’s obviously not 100% his fault, but he had a significant role. Roster construction, players not actually executing to expectations, and player fitness also played a big hand.

I would add that TLR looked physically terrible all season. It makes sense in retrospect that he has some health issue that’s affected him all season. He claimed it never impacted his ability to manage, but there’s no doubt in my mind it did.

I’m glad he’s gone, but good luck to him going forward. I hope he retires completely. No need for a role in the organization.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 2

1 minute ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I give TLR credit for owning the failures. It’s obviously not 100% his fault, but he had a significant role. Roster construction, players not actually executing to expectations, and player fitness also played a big hand.

I would add that TLR looked physically terrible all season. It makes sense in retrospect that he has some health issue that’s affected him all season. He claimed it never impacted his ability to manage, but there’s no doubt in my mind it did.

I’m glad he’s gone, but good luck to him going forward. I hope he retires completely. No need for a role in the organization.

He clearly had a big hand in roster construction though. Signing Kelly and giving Leury 3 years guaranteed aren't Hahn-esque moves.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

2. Good communicator

6. Has minor league experience or has had a hand in coaching on a championship team. 

1. Joe Espada

2. Matt Quatraro

3. Bruce Bochy 🙄

4. Sandy Alomar, Jr.

5. Joe Maddon

6. Carlos Beltran

7. George Lombard

8. Willie Harris

9. A.J. Hinch

10. Eduardo Perez

11. Justin Jirschele

12. Ozzie Guillen

13. Miguel Cairo

Numbers 1, 2, 4, 6 and 9 are who I want. If I had to pick between two I would pick Quatraro over Espada.

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

Well, what sucks is that Rick Hahn is definitely staying as GM. Ugh. 

What many posters on Soxtalk just wasn’t going to happen. 

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Jesse Rogers with a great question about why can Detroit and KC make a change but Sox aren't

I must have missed the question. What did he say exactly?

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I found it amusing Jerry was sitting in the back making sure Rick didn't screw anything up.

Was Jerry shown at the press conference or did TLR mention he was there?

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I believe Ozzie just said they already know who the manager is. He gave 2 names to Our Chuck and said it would be one of those two names, and I think he said he got it directly from Hahn. I couldn't really understand him but that's how I took it.

It’s got to just be Ozzie’s opinion of who it will be. I doubt he knows anything concrete.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

This is so stupid. 

" I actually have an idea of where my priorities should have been this season, but the chances of you hearing it is zero"

What the f*** is that supposed to mean? What's the point here? 

I still don’t know what that means, or if it is really important to know what it means.

Edited by The Beast

39 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

He clearly had a big hand in roster construction though. Signing Kelly and giving Leury 3 years guaranteed aren't Hahn-esque moves.

After he spent $16 million on Herrera, $17 million on Kelly would seem very much like a Hahn deal if it wasn’t for the posts about LaRussa having a role.

4 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Bye, Jose.  He gawn.  For as great as Rick is at saying nothing, he definitely (unintentionally) showed his cards when the subject of Jose came up.  

I always laugh when Sox fans clamor to get rid of a proven White Sox veteran and beloved player, the team's player of the year. Cause for Jose to leave the Sox that means some other team and all its analysts that sign him for good money think he still has another good year or two or three left in him. Some team is gonna sign him for significant cash, why not the Sox? Again his reward for being our best player is "thanx, see ya buddy; we'll bring u back when the statue is constructed and ready to put up."

When did modern baseball sabes people decide 35 is ancient? Used to be they'd go to 39 minimum if they were "name" stars. There have been some exceptions. There just seems something wrong in wanting Sox best player this season to take a hike. It's weird, frankly.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I always laugh when Sox fans clamor to get rid of a popular veteran. Cause for Jose to leave the Sox that means some other team and all its analysts that sign him for good money think he still has another good year or two or three left in him. Why did modern baseball sabes people decide 35 is ancient. Used to be they'd go to 39 minimum if they were "name" stars. There have been some exceptions. There just seems something wrong in wanting Sox best player this season to take a hike. It's weird, frankly.

People got off the juice and greenies and aging took over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

People got off the juice and greenies and aging took over.

I can accept that theory. Thanks for actual answer to my puzzlement. I happen to think Jose could be given the late career Konerko contract minimum. How bout 2 years 17-18 million. Add an incentive or two if they still put those in contracts. For Jose how bout incentive for 95 RBI and 27 homers.

See ya Tony.  Thank you for ruining Sox baseball for many of us these past two years.  A new manager is great, but if Hahn stays, who fucking cares.  Dude is the worst GM in baseball.  Do we really think he is magically going to figure out how to construct a roster finally next season?  Unreal that he gets to pick the next manager.  This team is basically the Detroit Lions at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s the problem.  Give a quality GM a $200M budget and we’d blow this s%*# division out of the water.  The problem is the bad money and over-investment in the bullpen that will leave little money heading into the off-season.

Yup… and the responsibility is on everyone equally… bummer Hahn and Kenny still are getting more rope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They should be depth, but Rick on a shoestring budget definitely scares me and neither guy has much trade value.  A desperate Hahn is a dangerous Hahn.

Let’s face it, an employed Rick Hahn is a dangerous Rick Hahn.

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The contrast between La Russa's letter in which he accepted special and specific responsibility (I missed his spoken comments) and Hahn's comments where he accepted no specific nor special responsibility ("we're all responsible"; "no one feels worse about this than I do") was stunning. 
LaRussa really fell on the sword for this FO.

And the players, though that’s part of the manager’s role.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Was Jerry shown at the press conference or did TLR mention he was there?

At one point on the Fox 32 streamed coverage, the camera swiveled from filming Hahn to show Jerry in the back of the room on his phone. It was not in response to any statement or question involving Jerry. It was random and funny.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I always laugh when Sox fans clamor to get rid of a proven White Sox veteran and beloved player, the team's player of the year. Cause for Jose to leave the Sox that means some other team and all its analysts that sign him for good money think he still has another good year or two or three left in him. Some team is gonna sign him for significant cash, why not the Sox? Again his reward for being our best player is "thanx, see ya buddy; we'll bring u back when the statue is constructed and ready to put up."

When did modern baseball sabes people decide 35 is ancient? Used to be they'd go to 39 minimum if they were "name" stars. There have been some exceptions. There just seems something wrong in wanting Sox best player this season to take a hike. It's weird, frankly.

In this particular case the roster construction has more to do with it than Jose's age. Somebody out of Vaughn, Eloy, Sheets, and Abreu needs to go before we can get legitimate corner outfielders, and Abreu happens to be the oldest and most expensive.  If it weren't for that I think most fans would be OK with Abreu growing old with us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1