LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

I always laugh when Sox fans clamor to get rid of a proven White Sox veteran and beloved player, the team's player of the year. Cause for Jose to leave the Sox that means some other team and all its analysts that sign him for good money think he still has another good year or two or three left in him. Some team is gonna sign him for significant cash, why not the Sox? Again his reward for being our best player is "thanx, see ya buddy; we'll bring u back when the statue is constructed and ready to put up."

When did modern baseball sabes people decide 35 is ancient? Used to be they'd go to 39 minimum if they were "name" stars. There have been some exceptions. There just seems something wrong in wanting Sox best player this season to take a hike. It's weird, frankly.

Or a team that signs him just needs a DH or 1B. We already have plenty of those.

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s the problem.  Give a quality GM a $200M budget and we’d blow this s%*# division out of the water.  The problem is the bad money and over-investment in the bullpen that will leave little money heading into the off-season.

We’re in a big market. Their budget should be the $233 mill luxury tax number. But it unfortunately won’t be.

• Like 2

The fact that Hahn isn't allowed to hire a manager is all you need to know.

He makes no significant decisions for this organization and no GM is taking his role.  He remains essentially the Asst GM.

He is the HR rep that does the phone screening interviews and reviews resumes so that the real decision makers are given a final pool of candidates. 

Not sure there has been a bigger patsy since Lee Harvey Oswald. Kenny Williams is still running this organization, Hahn is just he mouthpiece that gets a nice title.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

We’re in a big market. Their budget should be the $233 mill luxury tax number. But it unfortunately won’t be.

They were about $23 million under the tax line this year. They are 10 games behind Cleveland. That gap is so huge that Rodon doesn’t fix it.

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The fact that Hahn isn't allowed to hire a manager is all you need to know.

He makes no significant decisions for this organization and no GM is taking his role.  He remains essentially the Asst GM.

He is the HR rep that does the phone screening interviews and reviews resumes so that the real decision makers are given a final pool of candidates. 

Not sure there has been a bigger patsy since Lee Harvey Oswald. Kenny Williams is still running this organization, Hahn is just he mouthpiece that gets a nice title.

Yes, that is why Hahn plays the role of Toby Flenderson in The White Sox Office.

Previously, Hahn played the role of Jerry in Fargo, seen here with Stan (KW) and Wade (JR).

Rick Hahn cornered at SoxFest by two upset season ticket holders a few years back.

• Haha 1

Right now, according to Spotrac, if they buyout Harrison's option and Pollock picks up his player option, they would have $151,656,666 on the books for 2023 but the luxury tax number is $137,156,667. That doesn't factor in arb numbers because I just don't want to guess those but will add them to my tracker when MLBTR does their predictions since they are usually really close. Some guys like Crick, Engel, Ruiz could be candidates to be non-tendered. It doesn't look like buyouts count towards the CBT number but they owe Jose $1 mill in deferred money which does.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Right now, according to Spotrac, if they buyout Harrison's option and Pollock picks up his player option, they would have $151,656,666 on the books for 2023 but the luxury tax number is $137,156,667. That doesn't factor in arb numbers because I just don't want to guess those but will add them to my tracker when MLBTR does their predictions since they are usually really close. Some guys like Crick, Engel, Ruiz could be candidates to be non-tendered. It doesn't look like buyouts count towards the CBT number but they owe Jose $1 mill in deferred money which does.

Should that lux tax number be 237M not 137?  

Sadly with how much Harrison has been playing recently I think they are bringing him back.  It’s completely lazy but I can totally see it happening.  Engel & Ruiz should both be non-tendered.  I would guess AJ probably opts in.  Hahn already telegraphed that they won’t be very active in FA so I’m not expecting much.  We are probably in for another frustrating winter of inaction.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sorry, I meant for the current 2023 White Sox. But that doesn't count arbitration guys, which other than Cease and Giolito shouldn't be huge.

Gotcha.  Arb numbers will definitely bump that up.  Without playoff revenue and a likely hit in season tix who knows how much payroll they have allotted to fix this mess. 

Is it just the media's opinion that the Sox won't consider anyone from their minor league system, or has Hahn directly or indirectly stated this?  Anyone know why Jirschele isn't mentioned by anyone. I haven't followed him, so I don't know how he is doing, but he's been there for awhile and I recall his name being mentioned prior to LaRussa popping up. Also I'm sure he is not a candidate, but worth noting that Jim Leyland's son Patrick has been with the team as a low level manager and bench coach for a couple of years now.

3 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

In this particular case the roster construction has more to do with it than Jose's age. Somebody out of Vaughn, Eloy, Sheets, and Abreu needs to go before we can get legitimate corner outfielders, and Abreu happens to be the oldest and most expensive.  If it weren't for that I think most fans would be OK with Abreu growing old with us.

It just frustrates me that Sox fans (not you) want to get rid of the familiar, consistent guy. In my world Jose is a Sox forever, til he turns into Konerko during Konerko's last season He is at .304, 15 HR and 75 RBI. Not bad for the era in which hitters production is way down. His defense has been fine. What I'm saying is he remains by far the team's best everyday player (not counting Cease). Just leave the guy at 1B rather than have some AL East team pick him up and be happy with him 3 more years or so. Trade Sheets or Vaughn if you have to but keep Jose for gosh sakes. So what if he makes a lot more outs than he used to.

Everybody does in this era of 5 inning starters followed by the one inning relief wonders who finish games by striking out guys like Jose. Two fastballsl get fouled off, chase the slider in the dirt, Sit down, boring baseball.

• Fire 1
  • TLR 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like buyouts on 2023 options should count towards 2022 payroll.  They may not for CBT purposes (not sure off hand), but if Sox buyout Harrison they own him $1.5M in a few weeks, not in 2023.  

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sorry, I meant for the current 2023 White Sox. But that doesn't count arbitration guys, which other than Cease and Giolito shouldn't be huge.

I don't even think Cease should be that huge for an arb 1 guy.  

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like buyouts on 2023 options should count towards 2022 payroll.  They may not for CBT purposes (not sure off hand), but if Sox buyout Harrison they own him $1.5M in a few weeks, not in 2023.  

I was going off Dallas Keuchel being listed as owed a buyout for next year. Doesn’t effect CBT (I think/if I’m looking at it correctly) so doesn’t really matter in the end.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

just the media's opinion that the Sox won't consider anyone from their minor league system, or has Hahn directly or indirectly stated this?

Nope…. Hahn said he wants someone who has recent big league experience may that be a manager or bench coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was going off Dallas Keuchel being listed as owed a buyout for next year. Doesn’t effect CBT (I think/if I’m looking at it correctly) so doesn’t really matter in the end.

Spotrac shows Keuchel as having a $150k retained salary for 2023. Something to do with the contract bookkeeping that I'm not familiar with. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/payroll/2023/

20 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Replay - just scroll to the beginning if it's mid stream and you want it starts with Ozzie's comments before Tony speaks.

Thanks, just got around to listening.

One takeaway, Do Hahn and Tony go to the same hair salon for dye jobs?

Sounds like the same rinse and repeat coming out of Hahn's mouth.  Did he really say Eloy isn't a chronic injury worry?  He may not be worried but I bet Robert, TA, and Moncada worry about Eloy ending their careers by crashing into them.  The man is a DH, he's not Aaron Judge in the outfield, he's more like Gavin Sheets playing the OF.   Hahn's day 0 comment was also telling of a GM not prepared for the foreseeable future.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

It just frustrates me that Sox fans (not you) want to get rid of the familiar, consistent guy. In my world Jose is a Sox forever, til he turns into Konerko during Konerko's last season He is at .304, 15 HR and 75 RBI. Not bad for the era in which hitters production is way down. His defense has been fine. What I'm saying is he remains by far the team's best everyday player (not counting Cease). Just leave the guy at 1B rather than have some AL East team pick him up and be happy with him 3 more years or so. Trade Sheets or Vaughn if you have to but keep Jose for gosh sakes. So what if he makes a lot more outs than he used to.

Everybody does in this era of 5 inning starters followed by the one inning relief wonders who finish games by striking out guys like Jose. Two fastballsl get fouled off, chase the slider in the dirt, Sit down, boring baseball.

This. I rather go down fighting with my top soldier than let him walk away and rely on mostly fools gold.

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Thanks, just got around to listening.

One takeaway, Do Hahn and Tony go to the same hair salon for dye jobs?

Sounds like the same rinse and repeat coming out of Hahn's mouth.  Did he really say Eloy isn't a chronic injury worry?  He may not be worried but I bet Robert, TA, and Moncada worry about Eloy ending their careers by crashing into them.  The man is a DH, he's not Aaron Judge in the outfield, he's more like Gavin Sheets playing the OF.   Hahn's day 0 comment was also telling of a GM not prepared for the foreseeable future.

Not just the dye, what about Rick's atrocious hair cut (cutting Tony some slack because he's mid 70s and I'm not sure what is real and what is not up there at this stage). You should be able to walk into a $7 or whatever it is now haircut place and get something better than that. Likely added to the disgust on the assembled players. How does Hahn's wife let him leave the house like that? 

It looks like a risk board with Iceland and Scandinavia.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This. I rather go down fighting with my top soldier than let him walk away and rely on mostly fools gold.

Not just the dye, what about Rick's atrocious hair cut (cutting Tony some slack because he's mid 70s and I'm not sure what is real and what is not up there at this stage). You should be able to walk into a $7 or whatever it is now haircut place and get something better than that. Likely added to the disgust on the assembled players. How does Hahn's wife let him leave the house like that? 

It looks like a risk board with Iceland and Scandinavia.

If it talks like a clown and looks like a clown...

• Haha 1

The image of Tony LaRussa announcing his own retirement has to be a kick in the teeth to Jerry Reinsdorf.  He brought back LaRussa to make up for the 1986 firing, only to see LaRussa leave now in a more embarrassing way. As a result, the organization's credibility is at a real low, lower than after the 1994 strike, lower than after the 1997 White Flag Trade. So, what does JR do now?

On 10/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, chetkincaid said:

JR should know to stay completely out of those conversations going forward. 

You're kidding, right? Jerry is making the decision ... and again, will be the wrong one, watch

• Like 1