LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hahn's skill is as a contract negotiator, only in JR's world does that make him qualified to be a GM.

Did a great job negotiating with Yaz, Liam, Leury Garcia, etc. pretty we could all have struck those deals. 

"I took the best offer and added 20pc" - The Firm 

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, shago said:

Did a great job negotiating with Yaz, Liam, Leury Garcia, etc. pretty we could all have struck those deals. 

"I took the best offer and added 20pc" - The Firm 

Actually that Hendriks deal is a mess. The brilliant "Same money option" thing seems to increase his luxury tax number every year, so that on a $54 million contract his luxury tax number is something like $70 million. As long as the team is no where near the luxury tax, and they make the playoffs every year so there's no need to consider trading a closer away, this doesn't matter. But if they were to miss the playoffs and/or need to cut spending and/or approach the luxury tax, he becomes less valuable in a trade, harder to move, and harder to hold onto.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Actually that Hendriks deal is a mess. The brilliant "Same money option" thing seems to increase his luxury tax number every year, so that on a $54 million contract his luxury tax number is something like $70 million. As long as the team is no where near the luxury tax, and they make the playoffs every year so there's no need to consider trading a closer away, this doesn't matter. But if they were to miss the playoffs and/or need to cut spending and/or approach the luxury tax, he becomes less valuable in a trade, harder to move, and harder to hold onto.

Right down the Rick Hahn fairway, one of the dumbest contracts in sports ... Guy is consistently too clever by half. Fits perfectly into Jerry World.

Opposite of the Billy Beane / Rays approach (come up with clever ways to fit cheap players into a system and outperform), they overpay mediocre players who underperform.

Go Rick!  2-7-1 

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

why the delay to Monday lol? 

Because last Monday's game was a home game. They were on the road before that. Much of the team's media would have been traveling with the team along with the players prior to Monday. If they waited until after Wednesday the players would already be heading out. Starting the series on Monday was the last day they could count on everyone being able to come to the press conference who wanted to be there, including press, players, coaching staff, front office staff, etc, and easier to do it to start the series than on the last day of the year. 

This organization created bad contracts and took on a few large market bad contracts.

The trade for Kimbrel is not so much about players lost but the Pollock contract will hurt if he is around next season.

Unfortunately there is only one naive GM in baseball. 

• Hawk 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:13 PM, Chisoxfn said:

The Sox goal should be to have a top 5 scout, minor league coaching, analytic, and development staff in terms of comp.  I don't care if there payroll is 15th in baseball - I want an org that manages its baseball people and strength and development and pays them and builds a unit with depth, expertise and specialization where appropriate.  

That should be the focus - if that means they cheap out $20M on payroll to fund it - so be it. 

Well said and Tampa has always been one of those blueprints we should strive to be like.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, Balta1701 said:

Disagree here, It's essentially a 2/29 deal for one of the best closers in baseball. That's a bargain. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Disagree here, It's essentially a 2/29 deal for one of the best closers in baseball. That's a bargain. 

His salary is the 2nd highest in baseball for a reliever next year, assuming a mutual option in philly gets declined. He'll be 34 next year, had an arm injury, and his numbers have deteriorated the last 2 years. While he's still very good, and you may totally support "The second highest salary for any reliever in baseball"  as a fair deal, it is definitely an exaggeration to say it's a bargain. Fangraphs, for example, valued him at $12.7 million this year.

Furthermore, having the luxury tax number be $18 million next year when his salary is $14.3 million is clearly an issue if they wanted to trade him, as the only teams likely to trade for the 2nd highest reliever salary in baseball are also teams very near or in tax territory. 

33 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That's assuming he stays healthy. His arm troubles this year were very concerning. 

13 hours ago, chw42 said:

That's assuming he stays healthy. His arm troubles this year were very concerning. 

Given its the Sox, who knows how hurt he was or even what exactly was wrong. Hendriks did say publicly to the mainstream media that's he's been pitching with a forearm issue for years and its not making an impact. He said (paraphrasing) 'The nerve hasn't moved, the elbow is fine... some guys can't pitch through it, some can. It hasn't bothered me.'

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

His salary is the 2nd highest in baseball for a reliever next year, assuming a mutual option in philly gets declined. He'll be 34 next year, had an arm injury, and his numbers have deteriorated the last 2 years. While he's still very good, and you may totally support "The second highest salary for any reliever in baseball"  as a fair deal, it is definitely an exaggeration to say it's a bargain. Fangraphs, for example, valued him at $12.7 million this year.

Furthermore, having the luxury tax number be $18 million next year when his salary is $14.3 million is clearly an issue if they wanted to trade him, as the only teams likely to trade for the 2nd highest reliever salary in baseball are also teams very near or in tax territory. 

If they don’t trade him, isn’t his luxury tax number $0 in 2024?

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they don’t trade him, isn’t his luxury tax number $0 in 2024?

If I understand the math right, it is always the amount of money on the deal divided by the number of guaranteed years on the deal. For The first 3 years, it’s $18 million because the guaranteed money was $54 million over 3. If the option is picked up, it’s 1 guaranteed year at $15 million for the final year, calculated after the 2023 season ends. They don’t give a rebate for the extra luxury tax you already paid, it is just guaranteed money divided by years. That’s at least what Spotrac shows and there is nothing in the CBA text that makes me think there’s something they missed. So I think Ricky managed to create a contract that has a $54 million value and a $69 million luxury tax value.

Doesn’t matter as long as you’re never near the tax and don’t need to trade him. Matters now.

Wore my W/Sox winter hat to work this morning. First time in a while I've worn any Sox gear.

Life after TLR will be fine. Every time I get on this site, I'm blown away by the negativity. 

I thought people would be happier. I know I am. As for blasting Hahn for every thing, he was overruled

on TLR. Then TLR brought in Joe Kelly and Josh Harrison. I'll bet he wasn't the guy pushing for Leury 

either. Sure he's a hack, but not as much as every one thinks. I think we all know he wanted A.J. Hinch

for manager too. Maybe he'll get a chance to get it right this time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If I understand the math right, it is always the amount of money on the deal divided by the number of guaranteed years on the deal. For The first 3 years, it’s $18 million because the guaranteed money was $54 million over 3. If the option is picked up, it’s 1 guaranteed year at $15 million for the final year, calculated after the 2023 season ends. They don’t give a rebate for the extra luxury tax you already paid, it is just guaranteed money divided by years. That’s at least what Spotrac shows and there is nothing in the CBA text that makes me think there’s something they missed. So I think Ricky managed to create a contract that has a $54 million value and a $69 million luxury tax value.

Doesn’t matter as long as you’re never near the tax and don’t need to trade him. Matters now.

Sportrac shows a luxury tax hit for 2024?

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The front office wanting a player that ownership is reluctant to pay for is a common theme with the White Sox 

• 2 weeks later...