Jump to content

Will "core" players be traded before Spring Training?


joejoesox
 Share

Will the Sox trade any "Core" players before next season?   

41 members have voted

  1. 1. Will the Sox trade/release any of their core before 2023?

    • Yes (Names in comments)
      23
    • No, they'll try again with the same roster
      18


Recommended Posts

Guys I consider part of their core would be:

Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn, Cease, Kopech, Giolito. You also can suggest Abreu (if he isn't re-signed) as I consider him part of the core

It's a bad situation to be in as the GM/Front Office as Abreu could be argued as the glue that holds this team together. He works harder than just about anyone else on the entire roster and sets an example for younger guys on how to be a professional. However he's older and plays a less premium position. 

My two cents, along with a hot take:

Abreu signs a 1 year deal with Chicago, Moncada is shopped around/possibly traded for another shitty contract

Also Sox should absolutely look to get something worthwhile back for Tim Anderson if there are buyers

Edited by joejoesox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.

There are only a few guys with actual trade value after this season - mostly Cease and Vaughn. Although Vaughn could be traded, there's no real pressure to trade Cease with 3 years left of control of him. He's the only one on this list I could actually see moving. 

Everyone else could conceivably be worth more at the deadline next year or next offseason, or potentially much easier to discard next offseason. They'll go with the same core and hope for better results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd trade Gio, but I wouldn't sell low. The guy I would really like to trade because he seems like he's more about style than substance, but is still a guy who could get you something nice in return is TA. If Montgomery was a year more developed and looked like a regular MLB SS, it would be done. But if you want to win in 2023, you better have a SS, and maybe TA will get back to trying to be the best instead of trying to look like the best.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Abreu is kept... Eloy or Vaughn (although I would keep Vaughn over Eloy despite Eloy's bat talent. Just tired of the consistent injuries)

I hope the Sox let Abreu walk and let Vaughn man 1B for the next decade plus. Thanks for the memories Jose but we need a fresh start (and glove for that matter) at 1B.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many guys had bad seasons it'll be tough to deal them. Please get rid of Grandal and Moncada and Pollock and start from there. Maybe try to build up a team strength in one area. That area should be pitching. Cease is a legitimate star to top a rotation. Build a strong starting rotation, make sure you have two reliable relievers on the team to go with a closer.

I'd say improve all facets of the team but that'll be impossible to do in one offseason. Hitting, defense and pitching are all laughable. But Sox allegedly have a few good pitchers for a pitching coach to work with: Cease, Giolito, Kopech, Liam and I guess Lopez. Rehire Coop to work with those five pitchers and find next year's Cueto and some other guys. Put all the FO efforts on pitching to try to get back to respectability. Too many holes to work on everything.

Building a lights out rotation and bullpen would give the fans SOMETHING to get enthused about again. Going into ST with the same guys pretty much assures a rotten April unless the new manager is a miracle worker.

p.s. I can understand people wanting to let Abreu go. It just seems like a failed argument when he was one of the only reasons to go to a game this year. Kind of a "fan" thing to want to get rid of the team's most reliable player, though I understand it's nothing personal. Just seems weird to clamor to get rid of the one guy who wanted to win more than others and actually hit .300 in the year of the decrepit batting averages.

Edited by greg775
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they are going to 'retool' this squad for a genuine attempt to reach the offseason and challenge then some very creative trades will have to happen, but with Hahn at the helm that isn't going to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we end up seeing basically the same roster next season.  I don't trust the dopes in charge to re-balance the roster moving a major piece or two, but I also won't be surprised to see a stupid move or two.  Really depends on what change if any we see in management or in the FO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think there will be more than one core player that is not back next year.  I have no idea who or how much, but I do think there will be panic in the front office.

I've been saying...2004-2005. Trade or let go of the perceived "core" (Mags, Carlos, Loaiza...) and get more athletic, smarter, and deeper.

But will they zero on the right guys like they did that off-season?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Hahn stays, no trades of consequence. Let him keep doing stupid s%*# and keep signing expensive middle aged relievers and let the team fall in the 50-60 win range until there are under 10,000 attending games and Jerry finally shitcans his worthless ass.

If Hahn leaves the organization, and a competent person is hired (longshot, I know), then shoot for 2024/2025 and trade, don't resign (if FA) or keep in AAA the following:

Players to keep (14): Abreu, Burger, Cease, Crochet, Giolito *, Gonzalez, Kopech, Lambert, Lopez, Mendick, Robert, Sosa, Vaughn, Zavala.

Core to trade for value (3): Anderson, Jimenez, Moncada (* Keep Giolitio for walk year bounce back season, trade at the deadline if tanking).

Might get something in return (6): Bummer, Graveman, Hendriks, Lynn, Martin, Sheets.

Won't get something in return - Keep for organizational depth or DFA next season (16): Banks, Bilous, Crick. Diekman, Foster, Garcia, Grandal, Haseley, Kelly, Padilla, Payton, Perez, Pollock, Ruiz, Sousa, Stiever.

Free Agents to go, thanks for the memories (5): Andrus, Cueto, Engel, Harrison, Velasquez.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If Hahn stays, no trades of consequence. Let him keep doing stupid s%*# and keep signing expensive middle aged relievers and let the team fall in the 50-60 win range until there are under 10,000 attending games and Jerry finally shitcans his worthless ass.

If Hahn leaves the organization, and a competent person is hired (longshot, I know), then shoot for 2024/2025 and trade, don't resign (if FA) or keep in AAA the following:

Players to keep (14): Abreu, Burger, Cease, Crochet, Giolito *, Gonzalez, Kopech, Lambert, Lopez, Mendick, Robert, Sosa, Vaughn, Zavala.

Core to trade for value (3): Anderson, Jimenez, Moncada (* Keep Giolitio for walk year bounce back season, trade at the deadline if tanking).

Might get something in return (6): Bummer, Graveman, Hendriks, Lynn, Martin, Sheets.

Won't get something in return - Keep for organizational depth or DFA next season (16): Banks, Bilous, Crick. Diekman, Foster, Garcia, Grandal, Haseley, Kelly, Padilla, Payton, Perez, Pollock, Ruiz, Sousa, Stiever.

Free Agents to go, thanks for the memories (5): Andrus, Cueto, Engel, Harrison, Velasquez.

Yoan Moncada has trade value? Eloy Jimenez does too? C'mon now. Eloy goes into "Might get something in return", you won't get much for him above his contract, not with his injury history. Moncada goes into "Won't get something in return." While I'm at it, Bummer won't get you anything in return either. Lynn probably won't either - you could possibly move his contract. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yoan Moncada has trade value? Eloy Jimenez does too? C'mon now. Eloy goes into "Might get something in return", you won't get much for him above his contract, not with his injury history. Moncada goes into "Won't get something in return." While I'm at it, Bummer won't get you anything in return either. Lynn probably won't either - you could possibly move his contract. 

While I agree Moncada won't bring much, but ditching the deal would be value.

Eloy would defiantly bring a decent return back, especially with his close out of 2022.

Lynn was going strong before flatting out the past few starts, but teams always are looking for starting pitching, and someone would likely take a flyer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as money dumps to raise the cash for a corner outfielder, I could see Graveman going.  He is worth likely around the money due to him.  Maybe the reliever market will be hot and we will find a taker.  

Hendricks is also tradable without a major impact to our division chances.  If there is no other way to buy a corner outfielder, I would support clearing some mula via our bullpen and just praying the pen survives until the deadline.  

 

 

 

Edited by GREEDY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

While I agree Moncada won't bring much, but ditching the deal would be value.

Eloy would defiantly bring a decent return back, especially with his close out of 2022.

Lynn was going strong before flatting out the past few starts, but teams always are looking for starting pitching, and someone would likely take a flyer.

Yes, someone will take a flyer on taking Lynn's contract on. If they're willing to pay Syndergaard $20 million then someone would take Lynn on for $19 million. But you won't get anything back for him more than money, and I ask you this what is the point? The White Sox have no one to replace him! Signing Quintana for $14 million after dumping Lynn's $19 million - does that make the White Sox better? 

Eloy would probably bring back a small return. He has hit well this year, but you are talking about a guy due minimum $27 million on his deal over the next 2 years, while having played 134 games over 2 seasons. Would you pay $27 million for less than 1 year's worth of plate appearances for a DH? One who has an OPS in the mid-800s this year in the best stretch we've seen from him? And oh by the way he's only hitting .214 since the team quit. Oh and yes, he has option years on his contract - for $16.5 and $18.5 million. Depending on what happens with some other guys, picking up any of those options would make him one of the highest paid DHs in the league. I would take that deal on if I was the Mets or Dodgers, and you can have a reliever or something like that back for him, but something of real value? Not with that contract. If I were a low salary team like the Brewers or Marlins? Not a chance. 

Moncada is not movable unless you take back comparably bad money. My examples are still guys like Corbin (too much money remaining), Hosmer, etc. Moncada for Hosmer is a deal the Red Sox do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

If they are going to 'retool' this squad for a genuine attempt to reach the offseason and challenge then some very creative trades will have to happen, but with Hahn at the helm that isn't going to happen.

Well I just don’t see how a responsible organization can watch a team that basically coasted, and finally quit altogether without comprehensive changes. Not to mention a basic flawed roster as far as basic production in key areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...