Garcia talks about his season...

Lip Man 1

It was a disaster of a season. Partly because of injuries and partly because of the manager. TLR made way too many bonehead decisions and wasn’t the energy this team needed. They need to hire a manager that has some energy and that will stay alert in the dugout. The team looked like it was sleepwalking through most of the games.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And mostly because of the general manager.

Yes I agree that Hahn should’ve acquired help at the deadline. He failed miserably but where would this team be now if mostly everyone stayed healthy and they performed to their talent level? The staying healthy part also includes staying in shape. Many of the players seemed to be out of shape. If all of that was kept to a minimum at least, would this team be Central division champs, a wild card team?

Edited by maloney.adam

29 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They should still DFA Garcia. That contract we gave him last offseason was ridiculous for someone who is just a utility player at best. 

With out a doubt. Harrison too. About half the bullpen while we're at it. Seriously, Releasing these guys might be a wake up call to every one else.

On 9/29/2022 at 5:10 PM, maloney.adam said:

They should still DFA Garcia. That contract we gave him last offseason was ridiculous for someone who is just a utility player at best. 

I disagree. Five million should be a utility player salary. Remember the lock out and the negotiations? We don't want owners to make any money. Unless the minimum player salary is in the multi millions owners will get richer. 

On 9/29/2022 at 6:10 PM, maloney.adam said:

They should still DFA Garcia. That contract [Rick Hahn] gave him last offseason was ridiculous for someone who is just a utility player at best. 

^ edit above

Rick Hahn is a paste eating muppet 

• Haha 2

Think the criticism of Leury is overboard like Ricky's here in 2020.

The primary issue with Leury has been reported permanently gone (Tony La Russa). When you are carrying three hitters plus a back up catcher, a player who can adequately cover the entire field is valuable. Also, God only knows how hurt he when Tony demanded he play nearly every single day. Like the ongoing Robert / Kopech injury situations, it's hard to tell how many games he played when he was injured and shouldn't have been playing.

Not saying the Sox should have bid against themselves and give him three years, but he will be valuable as a reserve once he is healthy and limited to 50-60 by a sane manager. His OPS over the prior five years are .739, .679, .688, .758 and .711. This works for a reserve player.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Texsox said:

I disagree. Five million should be a utility player salary. Remember the lock out and the negotiations? We don't want owners to make any money. Unless the minimum player salary is in the multi millions owners will get richer. 

You are trying hard but this is a dumb point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The primary issue with Leury has been reported permanently gone (Tony La Russa). When you are carrying three hitters plus a back up catcher, a player who can adequately cover the entire field is valuable. Also, God only knows how hurt he when Tony demanded he play nearly every single day. Like the ongoing Robert / Kopech injury situations, it's hard to tell how many games he played when he was injured and shouldn't have been playing.

Not saying the Sox should have bid against themselves and give him three years, but he will be valuable as a reserve once he is healthy and limited to 50-60 by a sane manager. His OPS over the prior five years are .739, .679, .688, .758 and .711. This works for a reserve player.

The Giants would love him.

I hear there are plenty of good restaurants in San Fran. I bet Leury would like that.

52 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He was bottom five player in the league the entire season, the Sox had cheaper alternatives in house and frankly he deserved every boo for how badly he played after getting that contract

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It works for a reserve player, sure.

But for $5.5M a year? Nope.

And to pay that player every f'ing day when it's clear to literally everyone (including the player) that he isn't producing? Nope.

Leury circa 2021 is / was a valuable piece on a winning ballclub as a role player.

Leury circa 2021 is / was never going to be an everyday player on a team with playoffs in its future.

Leury circa 2022 has a .500 OPS... which is 98 points lower than Zack Greinke's career.

My issues with Leury are:
1) he played too damn much
2) he is overpaid, given what his role should be

25 minutes ago, JoeC said:

It works for a reserve player, sure.

But for $5.5M a year? Nope.

And to pay that player every f'ing day when it's clear to literally everyone (including the player) that he isn't producing? Nope.

Leury circa 2021 is / was a valuable piece on a winning ballclub as a role player.

Leury circa 2021 is / was never going to be an everyday player on a team with playoffs in its future.

Leury circa 2022 has a .500 OPS... which is 98 points lower than Zack Greinke's career.

My issues with Leury are:
1) he played too damn much
2) he is overpaid, given what his role should be

Again, the lineup card was made by La Russa. Also said the Sox bid against themselves, but Hahn did the same with Grandal, Keuchel, Parrot, Eaton 2.0, Lynn's rushed extension and others. It's par for the White Sox.

All that said, Leury wasn't even in the Top Dozen things which went wrong that mattered this season. Even if Leury played as expected (.700 OPS, 60-75 games) it would have made negligible difference in the standings. He's not playing now because he is injured. He'd still be playing nearly everyday injured if Tony was here, because Tony is hands down the most stubborn and worthless manager in MLB, and I'd argue the worst manager in a White Sox uniform (minimum 3 games - FU Don Cooper) during my lifetime. And I still remember the Jim Fergosi, Terry Bevington and Robin Ventura regimes.

Leury has always seemed like a good guy. He has a great attitude. I think what Tony did to him was unfair, but obviously giving him 3/$15.5m was crazy. I think he’ll be fine as the 26th man on the roster next 2 seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1