9/30/22 Sox @ Padres 8:40 Thank You Sir May I Have Another Gamethread

wegner

Just now, chw42 said:

Pretty much all his issues recently are because he can't throw strikes. 

Yet they still keep throwing him in high leverage situations....just goes to show how shitty Kelly has been.

4 hours ago, wegner said:

4 teams?  No thanks.   I'd like to see the Sox again in the playoffs before I die.

Would be ok, though not thrilled, with a six team format (Division winners only, best of 3 or 5 # 2 vs. #3, winner plays #1 in best of 7 LCS).

2020 was the only “wild card” appearance in White Sox history. The ten others (no 1901 World Series) were proper division or league title appearances.

American League Pennants (8 team league): (1901, 1906, 1917, 1919, 1959).

American League Western Division Titles (7 team division): (1983, 1993)

American League Central Division Titles (5 team division): (2000, 2005, 2008, 2021).

Wild Card Appearance: (2020)

I oppose the wild cards in general, and additional wild cards additionally, because it cheapens the 162 “champion season” to merely a seeding exercise, lowering The MLB’s stature to the other three NA major sport leagues. A champion should emerge from a postseason between division or league champions. 

However, for purely selfish White Sox fandom reasons, one should also oppose additional wild cards and round of playoffs, at least under the current divisional alignment and return to a balanced schedule, because the AL Central will likely produce few if any wild cards, and division winners also have a good probability to be slated as a number three seed, thus requiring an additional fourth playoff round win vs. the previous one (1903-1968), two (1969-1993) or three (1995-2021) rounds previous White Sox teams faced.

The White Sox have only advanced more than one round of playoffs one time in the over 50 years of expanded playoffs. A fourth round is another gauntlet, and we don’t have Clint Eastwood to navigate.  

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wegner said:

Hey a winning streak 

Guess I get to start another thread tomorrow 

With Cease going, always a good chance to win

You're welcome Milwaukee 

I wanted this sorry ass team to lose out, but if they are going to win meaningless games they might as well spoil San Diego’s season while they are at it 😇🤣

• Like 1

I haven’t watched much of Davis Martin, but he looked great last night. He was seemingly able to throw the slider out of the zone and in the zone at will. Also, he had a good fastball and (when thrown) changeup. If nothing else, he has earned the right to battle for a rotation spot next year. Especially if Cueto leaves

42 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I haven’t watched much of Davis Martin, but he looked great last night. He was seemingly able to throw the slider out of the zone and in the zone at will. Also, he had a good fastball and (when thrown) changeup. If nothing else, he has earned the right to battle for a rotation spot next year. Especially if Cueto leaves

Surprised he was all the way up to 97.

That was a nice game to watch for those who enjoy the nuances and the outcome of each game. Good pitching and a key home run to get the game tied then some key hits. Moncada is making some re-think his offensive potential with several clutch hits over the past two weeks or so.  Likewise Sheets looks like he is seeing and attacking the ball better. Meanwhile, Vaughn still is having some issues adjusting his approach to those outside sliders. Once he steps in the bucket with the leg kick, he seems to have a hard time covering the outside sliders.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

10 hours ago, chw42 said:

This umpire sucks

The tightest strike zone I have seen all season.  Must have called at least of handful of balls that clearly had the plate were called balls.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, White Sox Park said:

I wasn't defending Hahn . i think that both Hahn and Williams are fucking assholes . how's that for an excuse.

They need to be held accountable also for this failed season.

3 hours ago, hankchifan said:

The tightest strike zone I have seen all season.  Must have called at least of handful of balls that clearly had the plate were called balls.

They need to be held accountable also for this failed season.

His zone was so small that none of the called strikes could have been balls lol