Just say no to Carlos "I'm the Product Here" Correa

caulfield12

But ask Anderson if he’ll step out of the way and hand over his shortstop job to Machado, and you’ll get a much different answer.

“I don’t feel like I have to bow down to nobody. I don’t feel like I just have to give something up what I worked hard for. I would love to play with him, but shortstop is mine,” Anderson said.  Doesn't sound like a team player or someone trying to lure one of  the top free agents at the time to the Sox.

I never thought I'd call Machado a team player but here it is.....There’s been much speculation that Machado, who’s won two Gold Gloves at third base, prefers to play shortstop with his new team. However, manager Rick Renteria shot down that theory last week, telling NBC Sports Chicago that Machado “has said that he will play wherever we need him to play to help us win."

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

For hopes a NL player works out for the Sox.

Sorry - can you enlighten me on what makes NL players ill suited to play for the Sox?
Is it like coming over from Japan where players have to adjust to (slightly) larger baseball?
Are there additional immunizations that are required in coming over from the NL, thereby diminishing their abilities once they've crossed the border into the American League?

If your take is based on "NL players coming to the Sox haven't worked out," AL players haven't really worked out, either (Alonso and Encarnacion, just off the top of my head for recent experience).

Signing Correa would be a-okay in my book. Dude didn't have his best season and put up 5 WAR.  The defense also upgrades across the board - presuming Tim or Yoan is okay with it (cause one of them has to pivot).  Doesn't solve the righty dominant lineup issue but shoot - team is a heck of a lot better.  Only issue with Carlos is he seems to miss time almost every season (so in that case he'd fit right in).  But man - a year ago he was a 7 WAR player (and if I round up one year of 6.7 - he basically has 3 seasons of 7 WAR production). Dude instantly becomes best player on the Sox.  

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Signing Correa would be a-okay in my book. Dude didn't have his best season and put up 5 WAR.  The defense also upgrades across the board - presuming Tim or Yoan is okay with it (cause one of them has to pivot).  Doesn't solve the righty dominant lineup issue but shoot - team is a heck of a lot better.  Only issue with Carlos is he seems to miss time almost every season (so in that case he'd fit right in).  But man - a year ago he was a 7 WAR player (and if I round up one year of 6.7 - he basically has 3 seasons of 7 WAR production). Dude instantly becomes best player on the Sox.  

As much as I hate to admit it because I dislike cheating, but you are correct about him becoming the best player on the Sox roster.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The Twins' annnouncers don't believe for all the tea in China he will ever be back accept as a visiting player. Personally, this year for him was not unlike Albert Belle's one with the White Sox, just much quieter. About 35-40% of that value is coming from the time period when the team was collapsing.  Of course, there's two ways of looking at that.

On anti NL bias

And to be fair Carlos Quentin and Adam Eaton were two of the best players for the Sox when we initially traded for them...both from D backs.  Sergio Santos also.  Of course, this season Pollock (and Peralta) have been terrible, so nobody ever really knows.  It's always a 50/50 crapshoot.

Problem not the leagues, but the executive picking the players is wrong 75-80% of the time on trades.

Maybe, in the end, because Dunn and La Roche were just such high profile flops...?  

Zero conclusions.

Secondly, because TLR represents the NL style and so many of "his" guys have flopped, you have Recency bias mixed in there as well.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think I speak for almost all of Soxtalk when I say

wat

There's no point to even write about it actually.

We simply suck at obtaining players.

Has absolutely nothing to do with AL vs. NL.

Has to do with systemic organizational failures in talent evaluation.

And one would think we should have been at an advantage scouting DBacks and now Dodgers sharing the same spring training complexes.

Somehow Hahn still missed that Pollock is not a RFer.  In fact, he's very clearly a better CFer even at age 34-35.  

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There's no point to even write about it actually.

We simply suck at obtaining players.

Has absolutely nothing to do with AL vs. NL.

Has to do with systemic organizational failures in talent evaluation.

And one would think we should have been at an advantage scouting DBacks and now Dodgers sharing the same spring training complexes.

Somehow Hahn still missed that Pollock is not a RFer.  In fact, he's very clearly a better CFer even at age 34-35.  

Because when I think of Carlos Correa I think of six steps to get to AJ Pollock.

Wait, wat

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

For hopes a NL player works out for the Sox.

Sad that Tim somehow got on fans shitlist.   I have yet to hear any in the media suggest the kneejerk trade TA. 

A thin skinned D-bag that flicks off fans?  Yeah, what's sad is it took this long for him to show his true colors. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
typo

8 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Sad that Tim somehow got on fans shitlist.   I have yet to hear any in the media suggest the kneejerk trade TA. 

I think this recent TA trade speculation comes from fans who are just brainstorming what the Sox could do this offseason outside of running back virtually the same squad.  

The list of Sox players that are tradeable without taking a bad contract back in return is very, very short, and Tim is on it.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JoeC said:

Sorry - can you enlighten me on what makes NL players ill suited to play for the Sox?
Is it like coming over from Japan where players have to adjust to (slightly) larger baseball?
Are there additional immunizations that are required in coming over from the NL, thereby diminishing their abilities once they've crossed the border into the American League?

If your take is based on "NL players coming to the Sox haven't worked out," AL players haven't really worked out, either (Alonso and Encarnacion, just off the top of my head for recent experience).

Adam Dunn and Adam LaRoche both failed miserably here, so therefore the Sox can never again sign a player from the NL.  Except how many declining AL players have the Sox acquired that have also failed miserably?  The Sox lack of scouting acumen and their propensity to target less expensive aging and or past their prime players might just have more to do with it than some nebulous NL boogeyman. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Adam Dunn and Adam LaRoche both failed miserably here, so therefore the Sox can never again sign a player from the NL.  Except how many declining AL players have the Sox acquired that have also failed miserably?  The Sox lack of scouting acumen and their propensity to target less expensive aging and or past their prime players might just have more to do with it than some nebulous NL boogeyman. 

Agreed. Poor scouting, Jerry's meddling and the FO are responsible for bringing in old guys on their last deals, not the Senior Circuit.

I can think of three hitters who did well here after arriving from the National League after Adam Dunn's signing.

• Adam Eaton (2014-2016) .769 OPS, 5.3 bWAR average per season before being flipped. This signing and trade is Rick Hahn's "One Shining Moment" with the White Sox (Kenny's was actually delivering a Championship the the South Side of Chicago).
  • Todd Frazier (2016-2017) .765 OPS, 5.3 bWAR over ten months before he was traded.
  • Yasmani Grandal (2020-2022) .752 OPS, had a solid two months in 2020, and a very solid 2021 (4.6 bWAR over the eight months 2020 + 2021), before age and health issues took their toll.
Edited by South Side Hit Men