The International Signing Thread

Sleepy Harold

58 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No. But neither were Jose Rodriguez, Bryan Ramos, Lenyn Sosa or Cristian Mena 

Those guys all signed for a lot less though.  We also don’t have a large multi million signing to anchor this class, so it begs the question on whenever these guys were in demand and we just didn’t know it or are beneficiaries of the Sox having excess bonus pool and little to spend it on.  I really like Paddy, but being part of a Jerry org makes his job incredibly challenging.  Hopefully there is a plan here that we just don’t have visibility to, but I’m not aware of a massive Cuban prospect like Cespedes or Colas who funds have been set aside for.  For now I’m definitely a little nervous they botched this signing class.

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Those guys all signed for a lot less though.  We also don’t have a large multi million signing to anchor this class, so it begs the question on whenever these guys were in demand and we just didn’t know it or are beneficiaries of the Sox having excess bonus pool and little to spend it on.  I really like Paddy, but being part of a Jerry org makes his job incredibly challenging.  Hopefully there is a plan here that we just don’t have visibility to, but I’m not aware of a massive Cuban prospect like Cespedes or Colas who funds have been set aside for.  For now I’m definitely a little nervous they botched this signing class.

Oh they absolutely might have. There are 7-8 Cuban prospects out there and Sox are only team with money in this period. Somehow, they had $2.5 million to offer Luis Morales but he went to Oakland instead. They do need a headliner but Reyes is a good prospect. I like this class much better than the Yolbert Sanchez one. 

19 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Oh they absolutely might have. There are 7-8 Cuban prospects out there and Sox are only team with money in this period. Somehow, they had $2.5 million to offer Luis Morales but he went to Oakland instead. They do need a headliner but Reyes is a good prospect. I like this class much better than the Yolbert Sanchez one. 

Do you have the list of these Cubans?  Just curious who they are and what caliber of prospect they might be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Lol man. Nobody knows if he’s any good or how much he’ll even cost 

He’s not 16. He’s 22 and pitched 41 innings of pro ball over 3 years. 

I don’t really know  if he’s “good” but I’d say that definitely indicates he’s a reliever. I definitely don’t care to use the intl budget for that profile.

Great profile for the minor league rule 5 

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

He’s not 16. He’s 22 and pitched 41 innings of pro ball over 3 years. 

I don’t really know  if he’s “good” but I’d say that definitely indicates he’s a reliever. I definitely don’t care to use the intl budget for that profile.

Great profile for the minor league rule 5 

Well yeah I get that part. They don’t sign high dollar teenagers. It’s a broken record at this point. $500K or so for a close to the majors reliever with untapped upside is fine though as part of a signing class. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Does any good info exist on the available Cubans?  Any of them worth spending on?

Not a ton. There are guys who will be available but no idea who is any good. 

• Quin changed the title to The International Signing Thread