Kopech has knee surgery - expected to be ready for ST

maxjusttyped

Lol at some of this thread.  

Kopech has really only had 2 injuries in his career for the white sox

TJ and his messed up knee this past season that was HORRIBLY mismanaged by the team (not him)

Kopech is a 1 or 2 starter and before the injury was showing it and even some while playing through it.  He ain't going to the pen, period.  

Kopech looked like he was starting to gain some extra weight which is not good for his legs or his balance on the mound. He only had a couple of games where he looked like a TOR starter but those were offset by games where he was getting pasted in the first few innings. Kopech cannot be relied on to be part of the starting rotation all season and into the play-offs. Maybe he rehabs and comes back in better shape ready to take the ball every fifth day. I  doubt that is going to happen and if that is the case, perhaps there is a better way to deploy him...as a Closer. He has the stuff to go out there for an inning with his hair on fire.

8 hours ago, tray said:

Kopech looked like he was starting to gain some extra weight which is not good for his legs or his balance on the mound. He only had a couple of games where he looked like a TOR starter but those were offset by games where he was getting pasted in the first few innings. Kopech cannot be relied on to be part of the starting rotation all season and into the play-offs. Maybe he rehabs and comes back in better shape ready to take the ball every fifth day. I  doubt that is going to happen and if that is the case, perhaps there is a better way to deploy him...as a Closer. He has the stuff to go out there for an inning with his hair on fire.

Playoffs?! Playoffs?!

17 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Lol at some of this thread.  

Kopech has really only had 2 injuries in his career for the white sox

TJ and his messed up knee this past season that was HORRIBLY mismanaged by the team (not him)

Kopech is a 1 or 2 starter and before the injury was showing it and even some while playing through it.  He ain't going to the pen, period.  

Weren't you one of the guys telling me what a great year Kopech was going to have in 2022 as  a replacement for Rodon and I told you to cool your jets because he's a 1st year starting pitcher and was going to have his ups and downs ?

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Weren't you one of the guys telling me what a great year Kopech was going to have in 2022 as  a replacement for Rodon and I told you to cool your jets because he's a 1st year starting pitcher and was going to have his ups and downs ?

Probably and he had a great year before the injury and if handled correctly it would have been even better.  Unfortunately the Sox training staff was horrific last year.  

MK is one of my favorite White Sox, but I continue to believe that he would be better off in the long term as a high leverage Closer who lets it all hand out for an inning or two. He can make plenty of money in that role and have a longer career.  That is what Hendriks did in switching to the Closer role. The Sox need more starting pitching but I just don't think MK is a long term solution. So, to be realistic about this, Kopech will be part of the starting rotation in 2023, but if he proves to be less than durable or cannot be available for a play-off run. then maybe opinions change on this, including his own.