White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

They need to do a legitimate search, looking for the best and the brightest from WINNING organizations.

People who have ZERO connections in any way to JR or the White Sox 'family."

They need fresh ideas, and new ways to look at their myriad problems and issues. 

But Sox fans are infected with that disease.  Look at the suggestions.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

But Sox fans are infected with that disease.  Look at the suggestions.

JR has conditioned the masses well over the decades, so many pining for Ozzie or AJP over new voices with outside influence makes me a sad panda. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 4

Whoever the pick I hope the process doesn't drag on for months as the new manager needs to be in place to start getting his backroom staff and general philosophy across. And any trades or acquisitions need to reflect the new manager's approach, otherwise any incoming manager will be hamstrung by having to work with the same players who failed this season, this is the last chance Hahn has before the 'rebuild' is officially a write off and he needs to get it right, although past experience tends to suggest he won't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Whoever the pick I hope the process doesn't drag on for months as the new manager needs to be in place to start getting his backroom staff and general philosophy across. And any trades or acquisitions need to reflect the new manager's approach, otherwise any incoming manager will be hamstrung by having to work with the same players who failed this season, this is the last chance Hahn has before the 'rebuild' is officially a write off and he needs to get it right, although past experience tends to suggest he won't.

Would love to see Rafa give it a go with the White Sox if they can't get Joe Espada. 

2005, the White Sox weren't the only incredible story that year.

Pierzynski is to Dudek as Konerko is to Gerrard.

"But Alonso follows it INNNNN! It's Wonderful! It's Marvelous! It's 3-3 in the European Cup Final!!!!"

The greatest six minutes in human sports history, Secretariat's 1973 Triple Crown the GOAT.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree. ugh and so ridiculous to punish him for actions as a player just because he was retired. All the other active players? No problemo.

I go a little the other way. I think they all deserved consequences so I don’t feel the slightest bit bad for him getting hit with some. It is only unfair that others did not, punishing him less wouldn't make this more fair to my eyes.

That said, he has actually suffered a penalty for his actions, a fairly stiff one. I do think he should have to talk about this in any interview for any position he takes. I don’t think this should get him permanently banned from baseball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Considering who owns the team, I'd say AJ is as good as it gets. We should start a pool guessing which player

he slugs first. With this roster, there are about a dozen good choices.

AJ's always been that kid on the playground who gets into fights but never actually throws the punch. And when the teacher asks the kid who threw the punch why he did it, the explanation would inevitably come out sounding dumb like "he laughed at me!"

My money is on Pierzynski being punched, probably by someone like Pollock.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would love to see Rafa give it a go with the White Sox if they can't get Joe Espada. 

2005, the White Sox weren't the only incredible story that year.

Pierzynski is to Dudek as Konerko is to Gerrard.

"But Alonso follows it INNNNN! It's Wonderful! It's Marvelous! It's 3-3 in the European Cup Final!!!!"

The greatest six minutes in human sports history, Secretariat's 1973 Triple Crown the GOAT.

I have no idea what the f*** I just read. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Nothing against those traits but I care a lot more about getting a guy who will care about what the analytics say about lineups, pitching changes, and even player acquisitions, and will hire coaches who are on that same page.

I'll go a step further.

We need a guy who'll look at a player (eye test), look at the analytics (numbers test), and work with coaches to figure out what's going on with the guy's swing, mechanics, approach, scouting reports, etc., then work to fix the guy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chimpton said:

This team is straddled with the players currently on the roster and I don't expect any significant moves.  Maybe they see the light and come to a conclusion that putting two 1B/DH in the corner outfield positions is not a good idea and they look for an actual outfielder.   But, do you really trust Hahn or KW or whomever is making the decisions with making roster moves that can actually improve this team?  

11 hours ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I would love to see Sandy Alomar, Jr get an interview 

Seems like there must be a reason Alomar never gets a manager's job. He is 56 and never seems to get the prize. Even with Francona as his mentor!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are trying to retrofit a new organizational philosophy from essentially the bottom up with this manager and I would imagine anyone who is actually good at hiring coaches who can teach from multiple sources of information would look at this organizational set-up and say no thanks.

Meanwhile, I'm sure we'll get someone smart enough to say "yes you have to use analytics" at a press conference.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JoeC said:

AJ's always been that kid on the playground who gets into fights but never actually throws the punch. And when the teacher asks the kid who threw the punch why he did it, the explanation would inevitably come out sounding dumb like "he laughed at me!"

My money is on Pierzynski being punched, probably by someone like Pollock.

He would lose the clubhouse sooooo fast,  Nothing about AJ says people skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I agree. ugh and so ridiculous to punish him for actions as a player just because he was retired. All the other active players? No problemo.

Beltran was punished, which is strangely why I think I’m ok with him.  Same with Hinch.  The rest of those smug assholes I will probably resent forever. 

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

We are trying to retrofit a new organizational philosophy from essentially the bottom up with this manager and I would imagine anyone who is actually good at hiring coaches who can teach from multiple sources of information would look at this organizational set-up and say no thanks.

Meanwhile, I'm sure we'll get someone smart enough to say "yes you have to use analytics" at a press conference.

It wouldn’t be our White Sox if they weren’t going about their business completely ass-backwards. 

11 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

He would lose the clubhouse sooooo fast,  Nothing about AJ says people skills.

Also depends on his relationship with the leadership core and the rest of the coaches.

Just make people “hate you less” enough to get buy-in on your direction.

Could work well enough for a season or two while we are in “the window.” Would end in disaster eventually, so there’s always that intrigue.

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Beltran was punished, which is strangely why I think I’m ok with him.  Same with Hinch.  The rest of those smug assholes I will probably resent forever. 

Yes I'm fine with Beltran being punished, I think it's silly the rest weren't. And I think people mad the rest weren't kind of want Beltran to be extra super punished just to re-enforce how bad it was.

If anything the episode makes John Coppolella's ban for life just so insane to me. Granted he was likely caught red handed in a way Luhnow wasn't, but it seems excessive given some of the extremely gross cheating things that have happened recently to ban for life a practice that was you know, bad but also...not that out of operating procedure for quite a few teams.

Who are the most likely candidates? Miguel Cairo (obviously current interim manager), Willie Harris (managed in the Sox minors and a coach the past 3 years with Cubs), Bruce Bochy, Sandy Alomar Jr, Carlos Beltran? Add Joe Espada, Joe Maddon, AJ Hinch to the list?

Edit: say no to Ozzie and AJ (but they would still be better than the current iteration of TLR)

Edited by Bob Sacamano

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic