White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have to interview a minority candidate. 

They would satisfy that rule with former Sox minor league manager Willie Harris. Probably just a courtesy interview for Cairo since he has been here a couple years and was interim manager.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Interview Espada and the bench coach of the Rays who's name escapes me.

Espada or Beltran are my top 2 known names.  I just want a thorough professional  process and not the lazy retread path we are used to. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I don't think it eliminates Sandy Alomar, Jr....As he managed while Francona was out.

I think it’s going to come down to either Bochy or Beltran. Even though Steve Stone’s comment eliminates Beltran, technically he was the manager for the Mets for a couple days until he was fired. He didn’t actually manage the team on the field but I think they may consider him.

Edited by maloney.adam

40 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This eliminates a lot of candidates. Beltran, Harris, Espada, Granderson, and Quatraro, etc. 

Pretty narrow pool excluding first time managers. Don't like that limitation at all.

Available World Series / Pennant winning veteran managers active over the past five seasons (Age Opening Day 2023):

Ned Yost (68), Joe Maddon (69), Bruce Bochy (67), Joe Girardi (58), AJ Hinch (48 - If opt out permits), Clint Hurdle (65), Mike Scioscia (64).

Hinch is the only one I would consider from this list.

I'd prefer someone age 45-55 who can be a solid long-term fit, help fix the entire organization (instill modern baseball best practices) since the Sox do not have an house person capable of doing so. Someone young enough to relate and communicate with players, fluent in Spanish a very big selling point. 

Not looking for another grandpa to coddle players or set in their old school ways. Rick Hahn mentioned they are looking for a mix of modern and old school yesterday, which is a mistake. They need a clean break from the past.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

13 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I don't think it eliminates Sandy Alomar, Jr....As he managed while Francona was out.

We've had first time managers, managers with a lot of experience, HOF baseball person....they all make mistakes. To think there is going to be one guy who can come in here and do everything like everyone wants it to be done is silly. And they all will eventually make mistakes. They need someone who can make these guys play hard and be engaged in winning, and can run a bullpen. Bochy would be fine. I'd take Sandy in a heartbeat, although there must be some reason he never gets a job. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They would satisfy that rule with former Sox minor league manager Willie Harris. Probably just a courtesy interview for Cairo since he has been here a couple years and was interim manager.

Cairo did a solid job. I have much more respect for him now than I did when he was the invisible bench coach. I’d be more than fine retaining him as bench coach. Cairo and Katz are only 2 current staff members I would even consider retaining. Everyone else has to go. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We've had first time managers, managers with a lot of experience, HOF baseball person....they all make mistakes. To think there is going to be one guy who can come in here and do everything like everyone wants it to be done is silly. And they all will eventually make mistakes. They need someone who can make these guys play hard and be engaged in winning, and can run a bullpen. Bochy would be fine. I'd take Sandy in a heartbeat, although there must be some reason he never gets a job. 

Lets also remember the White Sox are not the only team looking for a manager.

Rangers have a good farm system, a big wallet, new stadium....Just to name one team.

How appealing are the White Sox to a veteran Manager who wants to win?

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic