White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Didn't be just get fired though

Per Japanese media he retired.... apparently as of 2 days ago (10/2 in Japan).

So he 1) has Sox ties; 2) has retired as manager.

Maybe it's not as outlandish as we thought.

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

No thank you. We need to hire someone who doesn’t have any ties to the organization and that will bring in fresh new ideas.

Tadahito Iguchi played with passion, so that covers the second part of your sentence.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

No thank you. We need to hire someone who doesn’t have any ties to the organization and that will bring in fresh new ideas.

thus my "-out-of-my-mind" precursor.

We need someone who has a combination of attributes. Someone who is likeable, but also will not be afraid to be hard on the players if mistakes happen. Someone that will be accountable and will hold the players accountable. A good communicator. Someone with experience managing a winning ball club. Someone who is a forward thinker and that will listen to analytics. Can anyone name someone with those traits? 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

We need someone who has a combination of traits. Someone who is likeable, but also someone that will be hard on the players if mistakes happen. Someone that will be accountable. A good communicator. Someone with experience managing a winning ball club. Can anyone name someone with those traits? 

Someone who will listen to analytics when building a lineup.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You are correct, I forgot to add that. Someone who is a forward thinker as well and listens to analytics. I edited my post to include this.

Edited by maloney.adam

35 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

... or understands analytics themselves because they've been part of a system, is under 50, and speaks Spanish

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

8 hours ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Lets also remember the White Sox are not the only team looking for a manager.

Rangers have a good farm system, a big wallet, new stadium....Just to name one team.

How appealing are the White Sox to a veteran Manager who wants to win?

Off their radar if they are smart and have other options! 

Veteran stud winning manager might have a checklist like this to examine the Sox organization:

1. Smart and aggressive spending owner willing to do whatever it takes.

2. Intelligent and successful GM 

3. Strong farm system to pull talent up from

4. Solid roster 

5. Team is strong on fundamentals

5. Team is strong defensively

6. Solid starting pitching rotation

7. Solid bullpen

8. Team is strong in producing runs by solid hitting, base running and power.

9. Team hustles on every play

10. Front office is into modern day analytics and has a large staff to support modern day baseball metrics

11.  Organization seems to have a strong medical and training staff.

I'm not quite sure one single criteria above, or very few get checked off for a veteran, winning and successful baseball manager.

#1 and #2 pretty much sum up why a stud winning manager won't be excited for this job!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Veteran stud winning manager might have a checklist like this to examine the Sox organization:

4. Solid roster 

7. Solid bullpen

10. Front office is into modern day analytics and has a large staff to support modern day baseball metrics

I'm not quite sure one single criteria above, or very few get checked off for a veteran, winning and successful baseball manager.

#1 and #2 pretty much sum up why a stud winning manager won't be excited for this job!

Otoh they might see Hahn as a pushover they can muscle out and quickly assume a quasi GM type of role within the first year as he shrinks away from assuming responsibility.

That said, you can only blame managers so many times before YOU are the one common element in all the under performance becomes the answer.

10 hours ago, joejoesox said:

one thing is for sure, this board will absolutely be divided on who the pick will be

I dunno if I want it to be an older vet to be honest, I think I'd rather have a younger guy who speaks fluent Spanish or is Hispanic, someone the younger guys can kind of relate to and will play hard for, someone who also has something to prove to the league that he isn't just a new name

those are my criteria

My criteria is interview as many as possible. Ask them about their knowledge of the team and the players and organization. A candidate should come in prepared and knowledgeable. If they seem to lack knowledge of the Sox then that would deter me. I'd have a lot of questions and figure each interview could last at least a few hours.

• Like 1

Steve Greenberg of the Sun-Times makes the case for Joe Maddon:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2022/10/4/23387850/white-sox-joe-maddon-manager-tony-la-russa

I don't necessarily agree but he does have a point if Maddon can win with a lot of average/mediocre players in Tampa he possibly could with better talent with the Sox. 

10 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

4. Solid roster 

7. Solid bullpen

Jerry is definitely a turn off for high performers but I think overall the sox are still an attractive destination as they have issues but they still have a good core in a very winnable divison and in the end that is what matters for a manager, if you win it will help your career. 

I don't think many other open destinations will be as attractive as the sox. Sure the rangers have a solid farm system but they are also in a division with the astros and the recently emerged mariners and they still lack pitching, getting past third will be hard in that division. 

And the tigers are just a mess in every regard, their new gm in scott harris might be good but fixing all the mess will probably take a couple years and maybe even a second tear down where they trade the young guys (probably not next season but if 2023 fails too they might). Not a great situation there either for a good manager who wants to win now. 

Edited by Dominikk85

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

@South Side Hit Men I agree, it’s funny. Bringing back Ozzie would be a terrible hire and plus that he burned a bridge within the organization. He is fine where he is at right now on the postgame show. This is more of him selling himself for the job on the radio but it’s not going to happen. 

I'd bring back Ricky Renteria before I'd bring back Ozzie Guillen (or Robin Ventura).

That said, I prefer they go external.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Ozzie would have been OK for me as a midseason replacement to get the players’ asses in gear. I think he would have provided enough of a kick in the pants to get the team on track in the short term.

An a permanent manager? No way.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

4. Solid roster 

7. Solid bullpen

Why would this hypothetical team be looking for a new manager?  I mean, you're describing a world class, winning org.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic