White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do think I would be most interested in Beltran. But, I have a huge, wide group I'd be happy with. Would I be unhappy with Jirschele promotion? not really. 

Would you be unhappy with Zombie Al Lopez or Time Traveling Oscar Colas?

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Would you be unhappy with Zombie Al Lopez or Time Traveling Oscar Colas?

Not thrilled with zombies but Al Lopez does have a strong resume. No to Colas.

Still would be pro Jim Thome don't care.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I agree I don't want another old coach coming out of retirement.  Gimme someone younger who can speak spanish since the majority of our major players speak it

I don't want extra requirements like "speaks Spanish" or "young" or "player friendly." I want the guy who will be the best at optimizing the talent he's provided through lineups, pitcher usage and instruction. Period. Any other qualities are nice to have, but those can be requirements of the bench coach if the manager doesn't have it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Is Time Traveling Oscar Colas coming from the past or the future?   This is important information!

When I first pitched it, TTOC was coming from the future after winning the 2050 World Series.

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Looks like Bochy and Alomar are the front runners.

I think those odds actually suggest that even the bookies haven't got a clue who it will be 8 names split by only 5 points in the betting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't want extra requirements like "speaks Spanish" or "young" or "player friendly." I want the guy who will be the best at optimizing the talent he's provided through lineups, pitcher usage and instruction. Period. Any other qualities are nice to have, but those can be requirements of the bench coach if the manager doesn't have it.

Managing the clubhouse is 1000x more important to me than lineup construction.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

A big part of managing the clubhouse is the players understanding that you're putting them in the best position to win. There's no level of clubhouse management skill that can overcome the disgust the players will feel when the see their worst hitter penciled into the middle of the lineup.

• TLR 1

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

A big part of managing the clubhouse is the players understanding that you're putting them in the best position to win. There's no level of clubhouse management skill that can overcome the disgust the players will feel when the see their worst hitter penciled into the middle of the lineup.

Remember the reaction of Leury and Freeman at 2b on the first 1-2 walk? 

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Who would be dumb enough to do that?

4 hours ago, bmags said:

One of the pluses of hiring a Bochy type is they have the connections to attract top coaches and the reputation to demand the right to hire most of his coaches.  I like Jirschele a lot, but he wouldn't have the pull to demand much of anything.  Bochy as manager with Jirschele as bench coach would make a lot of sense.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic