White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

14 hours ago, poppysox said:

One of the pluses of hiring a Bochy type is they have the connections to attract top coaches and the reputation to demand the right to hire most of his coaches.  I like Jirschele a lot, but he wouldn't have the pull to demand much of anything.  Bochy as manager with Jirschele as bench coach would make a lot of sense.

That's exactly why I want Bochy as opposed to a first time manager.  I want a manager who will tell Hahn Williams and JR to f off unless he gets most of what he wants or needs, as opposed to someone who is just happy to be here.

• TLR 1

Just now, ThirdGen said:

That's exactly why I want Bochy as opposed to a first time manager.  I want a manager who will tell Hahn Williams and JR to f off unless he gets most of what he wants or needs, as opposed to someone who is just happy to be here.

I'm pretty sure we just had a manager who did exactly that and got pretty much everything he wanted. It did not go well. 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2022 at 7:54 AM, Joshua Strong said:

There is nothing more meaningless than minor league W-L records. The minors are for player development, not winning games.

And the farm, while it ranks in the bottom third has its share of intriguing players. Which should mean for healthier farm going forward, where it was strictly top heavy during the rebuild. You want intriguing players 1-30, not just 1-10

That is not correct at all. 

Go back over the years and check for example the Tampa Bays Rays farm system. Even going back to the years when they had Andrew Friedman, they always had one of the top, if not #1 ranked farm systems each year. You can also go check W-L records and stats but their minor league teams were usually near the top in every league in both standing and stats. Over the years they didn't have the luxury of paying for top free agents. As a result they needed to bring players up and when they did they contributed quickly. This was because they had strong coaches who are able to develop their players. This also meant their scouting was stronger as they knew the blueprint of the type of players Tampa needed to be successful.  Many clubs have done this in the minors besides Tampa. Theatrically if you develop your talent properly and efficiently, then as you bring some players up, then you move others from the lower leagues to replace them. If they are being developed, they should fit in the next level and continue to produce and be winners.

I do 100 percent agree with you that the purpose of the minor leagues is to develop players. However the Sox have done a horrible job in this area. Go look at our current farm system and right now they are only a few good players that are ready to brought up and contribute in 2023. Look at Cleveland, they brought up 15 rookies this year and yet their triple A team Columbus team finished with a with a 85-64 record. Cleveland proved you can have the #3 ranked farm system, win in the minors and win with those rookies at the big league level and be a division winner 22 games over 500. I'm not saying this is the norm in baseball, but don't tell me standings are irrelevant. There is a reason the Charlotte Knights were the worst team in Triple A. Just look at their pitching staff as they had the highest ERA in Triple A. Btw, check and see the number of pitchers ready to be moved up from Charlotte and be major contributors in 2023.

As far as your intriguing players in the White Sox current 26th ranked farm system, yes there are some strong potential players down there. However go look at the teams that have stronger farm systems ranked in the top 10 and not only do they have more stronger prospects to promote to the big leagues, more importantly, they also have more assets which is extremely valuable to use those stronger prospects in future trade. 

Finally don't tell me that the Sox farm system which was highly ranked early on in the rebuild has fallen apart only because the Sox took those players up. Go check the Dodgers to see how an organization can be successful both at the big league level with their 111-51 record (60 games over 500) and they still have the #2 ranked farm system. Btw, the Dodgers Triple A team is the Oklahoma City Dodgers and they finished the season 84-66 in 2022. 

On 10/5/2022 at 5:02 PM, Dominikk85 said:

The teams you mentioned do not have a manager opening. 

I know the teams I mentioned don't have openings nor will they be open. The post was referring to our Sox manager's position was better than the Tigers or Rangers position, which it probably is. However my point I countering with was the fact we shouldn't want to be compared to lousy teams. We should strive to be a destination for a manager like the teams I mentioned. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

On 10/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, The Beast said:

I’m surprised people aren’t talking more about Espada or Quatraro and are spending more time talking about Guillen or Bochy. Wouldn’t it make sense to add one of these two guys as the manager, given their recent history with successful teams?

Damn right it would make good sense to hire a younger manager from a super successful organization. Plus they won't demand or take up the higher salary that a Bochy, Maddon and Guillen would want.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, T R U said:

If we were talking front office I agree. I don't think the manager search should be limited to those kind of teams though. While coming from a winning culture is nice, I don't think that's required of a manager.

If we were replacing the front office, that's absolutely where I would be looking.

I disagree on the manager part. If the Sox want to get better and be like the Dodgers, then yes they need to look for front office people from winning organizations, but they also need to hire managers and coaches from super successful winning teams as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm pretty sure we just had a manager who did exactly that and got pretty much everything he wanted. It did not go well. 

By all accounts TLR didn't listen to coaches, data analysts, etc.  So they could have surrounded him with chimps and circus clowns and gotten the same result.

From what I've heard about Bochy that is not the case with him, and he is more likely to surround himself with trusted people who provide him useful information that he would actually use in a game situation.  I do not trust Hahn and Williams to do the same it they hire the coaching staff, or most likely retain the current staff, cuz loyalty.

47 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I disagree on the manager part. If the Sox want to get better and be like the Dodgers, then yes they need to look for front office people from winning organizations, but they also need to hire managers and coaches from super successful winning teams as well. 

A lot of the teams in the playoffs right now have managers that I would definitely say do not fit the criteria of coming from super successful organizations. Aaron Boone was a commentator for ESPN, John Schneider was a coach in the Blue Jays minors, Kevin Cash was a bullpen coach in Cleveland, Scott Servais was a front office guy with the Rangers and Angels, Dave Roberts was a coach in the Padres organization.

A good manager is important, but good managers aren't exclusive to successful organizations. There's only 30 of these jobs available you have to search wide and find the good ones, they're out there.

19 minutes ago, T R U said:

A lot of the teams in the playoffs right now have managers that I would definitely say do not fit the criteria of coming from super successful organizations. Aaron Boone was a commentator for ESPN, John Schneider was a coach in the Blue Jays minors, Kevin Cash was a bullpen coach in Cleveland, Scott Servais was a front office guy with the Rangers and Angels, Dave Roberts was a coach in the Padres organization.

A good manager is important, but good managers aren't exclusive to successful organizations. There's only 30 of these jobs available you have to search wide and find the good ones, they're out there.

honestly to me the idea of getting a manager from a super successful org is like a struggling fashion designer hiring a model from Chanel and saying "wow, this model will totally make us as successful as Chanel" instead of being realistic about "wow this model is a great fit for the look of our clothes".

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, T R U said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I would much rather have the the bench coaches of Astros Joe Espada or Rays Matt Quatraro than the bench coach of the Royals, Reds or Pirates.

I do however agree with you, this is a special job and only 30 of them. Thus the Sox better research the candidates extensive and do the proper quality interviewing to find the right one. 

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic