White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

honestly to me the idea of getting a manager from a super successful org is like a struggling fashion designer hiring a model from Chanel and saying "wow, this model will totally make us as successful as Chanel" instead of being realistic about "wow this model is a great fit for the look of our clothes".

At the same time, if Chanel is hiring a model, that means they're a good model. Your struggling brand needs model star power, which in this case would be baseball acumen I guess.

Like the company that spray painted a dress on Bella Hadid this week - they don't get half the name recognition with a lesser model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

At the same time, if Chanel is hiring a model, that means they're a good model. Your struggling brand needs model star power, which in this case would be baseball acumen I guess.

Like the company that spray painted a dress on Bella Hadid this week - they don't get half the name recognition with a lesser model.

I'm not against it, I think Quatraro etc absolutely deserve a shot. I'm just saying I don't like how Hahn appears to think he is retrofitting a progressive organization over the top by hiring one of the least important cogs of one. 

But a manager is still a cog, and important. But a manager from tampa is likely to be a good manager, it just doesn't mean we are the rays because we hired the manager from tampa.

The hilarious part about the white sox manager searches is I think broadly there are a lot of ways to get a good manager and boy have we figured out ways to get the rare cases I'll hate. (Didn't have a problem with Ricky outside the lack of search).

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

What coaches did TL bring with him?  Duncan's kid is not a coach.

Cairo and Katz were the only two that weren't carry overs.  Cairo was definitely TLR's doing, Katz probably not.  Reinsdorf's loyalty > LaRussa's influence.  That's my point, we need a manager that isn't beholden to or afraid of JR and will fire coaches into the sun if they are not performing.  Not sure if that exists, but Bochy could be our best chance.

47 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Cairo and Katz were the only two that weren't carry overs.  Cairo was definitely TLR's doing, Katz probably not.  Reinsdorf's loyalty > LaRussa's influence.  That's my point, we need a manager that isn't beholden to or afraid of JR and will fire coaches into the sun if they are not performing.  Not sure if that exists, but Bochy could be our best chance.

If JR has any sense, he will hire a proven manager and give him free reign to bring in coaches he knows and believes in.  If I was going to lose my job in a few years because I didn't win... I would want to give myself the best chance of success.  TL was so removed from the manager's job that he no longer had those connections.  In his first go round...Tony had Jim Leland, and Dave Duncan to help him get the job done.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If JR has any sense, he will hire a proven manager and give him free reign to bring in coaches he knows and believes in.  If I was going to lose my job in a few years because I didn't win... I would want to give myself the best chance of success.  TL was so removed from the manager's job that he no longer had those connections.  In his first go round...Tony had Jim Leland, and Dave Duncan to help him get the job done.

Careful, Leyland is still around and also felt slighted when he left the Sox the first time!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I didn't peg you for a big model guy. 

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

enc0ourieno5vjyxxabv

Our analytics guy was out there last year laying down the law.

His biggest role was answering the phone from one of the other most worthless members of the coaching staff - the guy who makes the replay review decisions.  Talk about a trio of worthlessness - replay guys to Duncan to TLR. 

9 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

That's exactly why I want Bochy as opposed to a first time manager.  I want a manager who will tell Hahn Williams and JR to f off unless he gets most of what he wants or needs, as opposed to someone who is just happy to be here.

Bochy won in the Sabean/Bobby Evans era.  Those 2 operated similarly to Williams/Hahn, but they were just a lot better at it.  Still, it's obsolete.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Bochy won in the Sabean/Bobby Evans era.  Those 2 operated similarly to Williams/Hahn, but they were just a lot better at it.  Still, it's obsolete.

Good pitching, defense, speed, and hitting never go out of style.  Good coaching goes a long way IMO.

7 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I would much rather have the the bench coaches of Astros Joe Espada or Rays Matt Quatraro than the bench coach of the Royals, Reds or Pirates.

I do however agree with you, this is a special job and only 30 of them. Thus the Sox better research the candidates extensive and do the proper quality interviewing to find the right one. 

I don’t think we disagree, I would be fine with either of those guys. I was just saying a good manager can come from anywhere. 

8 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

Careful, Leyland is still around and also felt slighted when he left the Sox the first time!

Actually no he left on good terms because he had an opportunity.

However things got messy after the Sox fired Gene Lamont, Leyland's bench coach and friend. Leyland recommended him to the Sox. After he was fired in May 1995, JR personally contacted Leyland to see if he might be interested in returning at some point since the Pirates were collapsing after losing Bonds, Bonilla and Drabek. Leyland said no, he was pissed about how the Sox treated his friend.

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Actually no he left on good terms because he had an opportunity.

However things got messy after the Sox fired Gene Lamont, Leyland's bench coach and friend. Leyland recommended him to the Sox. After he was fired in May 1995, JR personally contacted Leyland to see if he might be interested in returning at some point since the Pirates were collapsing after losing Bonds, Bonilla and Drabek. Leyland said no, he was pissed about how the Sox treated his friend.

Good for Jim Leyland!

Most mentally sharp and aware people in any kind of management role would usually determine if you didn't take the recommendation of Jim Leyland and let Leyland's buddy Gene Lamont get fired under your watch, you would probably use basic common sense and realize, it might not be a good idea to approach Jim Leyland and ask him to return to be your manager. Phone conversation from Jerry's warped mindset to Leyland: "Hi Jim good buddy, it's me Jerry, hey I know that Gene Lamont firing might have disappointed you a little, and I'm sure you have put that behind us...So I'm wondering good buddy, would you like to come back and be my manager again? What do you think? Does that sound like a good idea Jim?"

Just another dumb delusional decision in JR's long laundry list of illogical and irresponsible decisions as an owner of two different sports teams.

19 hours ago, bmags said:

I'm not against it, I think Quatraro etc absolutely deserve a shot. I'm just saying I don't like how Hahn appears to think he is retrofitting a progressive organization over the top by hiring one of the least important cogs of one. 

But a manager is still a cog, and important. But a manager from tampa is likely to be a good manager, it just doesn't mean we are the rays because we hired the manager from tampa.

The hilarious part about the white sox manager searches is I think broadly there are a lot of ways to get a good manager and boy have we figured out ways to get the rare cases I'll hate. (Didn't have a problem with Ricky outside the lack of search).

You are absolutely right the manager is just one piece to the equation and having a guy from Tampa couldn't hurt!.

However if you want to be really like Tampa and be that continual and consistent successful organization, then you lose Rick Hahn and hire the GM from Tampa who learned well in this solid organization originally developed by Andrew Friedman. The current TB president talks about how they still use the same blueprint for scouting and drafting of solid fundamental players, as well as having an excellent farm system with proper coaching and development in place.

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently Jon Heyman is saying he doesn't expect JR to be involved in the process.

JR isn’t stupid.  He saw the s%*#-show that was the 2022 season and knows that Tony was a big part of it.  I fully expect to tuck his tail between his legs here and let Hahn & KW make the call.  The only exception is potentially vetoing a hire like Beltran due to cheating implications.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

JR isn’t stupid.  He saw the s%*#-show that was the 2022 season and knows that Tony was a big part of it.  I fully expect to tuck his tail between his legs here and let Hahn & KW make the call.  The only exception is potentially vetoing a hire like Beltran due to cheating implications.

It's very possible but remember for 40+ seasons JR has always been involved in the major decisions. That's a hard habit to break. My guess he stays out of it but when the rubber meets the road he'll be the guy to say yes or no on the final candidate.

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's very possible but remember for 40+ seasons JR has always been involved in the major decisions. That's a hard habit to break. My guess he stays out of it but when the rubber meets the road he'll be the guy to say yes or no on the final candidate.

Fully agree that he’ll need to sign off on a hire, but don’t expect him to be overly involved.  There should still be egg on his face after the embarrassment that was Tony.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

JR can absolutely be stupid about how he runs his franchise. 

• Fire 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic