White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

It mentions that Goldschmidt and Yadi reached out to him after he was fired. So if there was anything toxic, it didn't have the top players against him. I think he would be a great hire. He got results in St. Louis and kind of got that organization back on track.

Doesn’t pretty much everyone have great results in St Louis tho? He was fired and nothing changed in terms of their success. The Cardinals are a well run organization known for developing talent in the minors…the Sox are the opposite. Maybe he’s changed/adapted after getting fired, but hiring a guy who refuses to use analytics is far from ideal. 

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem I have with Schildt is he seems too much a LaRussa suggestion.

Agree, we need a complete change of culture, and all coaches should be let go. Start fresh with a new approach much like the Bull's, and bring in someone who has a pulse and can motivate this team with no ties to the Sox organization.

21 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If Tony should never have been the Sox manager because of his DUIs, what about Ron Washington and cocaine.

I wouldn’t compare Washington’s PAST cocaine addiction to LaRussa’s CURRENT alcoholism. 

I don't think Schildt is any different than any body you put in that very successful organization to lead it. He's almost certainly the most white soxy of a white sox pick. 

Someone who you can't tell is the cause of success or failure who also will be obstinate to direction from other parts of hahns operation, thus upholding the ultimate goal of JR - to obscure who is responsible for JRs organization underachieving.

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wouldn’t compare Washington’s PAST cocaine addiction to LaRussa’s CURRENT alcoholism. 

How do you know it's PAST? He admitted to doing it as a player, and did it as a manager. Then quit managing where it was reported he sexually assaulted a reporter. He said he cheated on his wife. 

I believe LaRussa should have been eliminated. I also believe Washington should be eliminated from being a manager. A coach? Different story. But not running things.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How do you know it's PAST? He admitted to doing it as a player, and did it as a manager. Then quit managing where it was reported he sexually assaulted a reporter. He said he cheated on his wife. 

I believe LaRussa should have been eliminated. I also believe Washington should be eliminated from being a manager. A coach? Different story. But not running things.

Washington is supposed to be an amazing detail oriented person as a coach/manager, but yeah, that is a metric fuckton of baggage.  I am very good with no considering him.

I would love to have someone like Ron Washington as a bench coach.

Time to get an analytics guy at the helm with a skills-oriented old school "baseball guy" to be a complementary piece as a bench coach and to mentor the manager on the finer points of leading a clubhouse.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Washington is supposed to be an amazing detail oriented person as a coach/manager, but yeah, that is a metric fuckton of baggage.  I am very good with no considering him.

Washington would be a great bench coach alongside someone like Beltran.  Now would Wash leave ATL to come to Chicago for a lateral move?  Prob not.  

• Like 1

I think if I'm Hahn (I wouldn't be in this situation, however) I think what Id be attracted to most is to continue to try to build the Giants pitching factory. I say Giants because I'm not sure our scouting/PD is aligned enough to recreate Brewers/Guardians.

We have Katz, but Giants have done well identifying mid-level starting FA pitchers and really getting a lot of value from it. That should be attractive to Hahn, it aligns to his philosophy of never building a talent pipeline out of his farm and instead building teams out of bargain bin FAs.

BUT, yeah I think i'd target those who have been around the pitching work of SF/MIL, but obviously not against Alomar. 

Houston has been tremendous, and would absolutely be good with Beltran.

If Tony wants to put in a good word, I wouldn't mind if he recruited Yadi to take over.

Two more names:

- Fredi Gonzalez - I know he was replaced by Snitker after a low point, but I attribute it to "baseball managers man" and also like that he was targeted by the Orioles. Maybe he can get a certain Cuban born player motivated.

- Eddie Perez - Bilingual, relatively young at 53, bobby cox disciple. Good org.

On 10/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, greg775 said:

Sox just had an old manager. Do some fricking research and hire a can't miss former player who is young. Not somebody like that clown the Royals brought in from Japan League that one year, I forget his name, but somebody young.

I can see what's happening. Sox will hire one of those plastic, mummy like veteran managers between 58 and 65 who will manage the team through the painful era coming up. Face facts. We are the new Baltimore Orioles, a team going nowhere. Truthfully more than a manager the Sox need some GM who knows what he's doing and how to hire good scouts and acquire real baseball players not just compile an everyday roster of stud athletes prone to getting hurt and tall pitchers who throw way too many pitches leading into four innings of pathetic bullpen work from a bunch of no names. Sox always seem to have a name closer though.

Geezus hire a new GM, Sox. And if you are gonna hire one of those three names, just don't. At this point make it Ozzie or AJP or even bring back Renteria.

Shoulda stayed with Ricky but he acted sort of nutty right before the playoffs and Reinsy had an itch you know where for the guy that was eating on his mind since godknowswhen and we just wasted two years.

Let me echo what I see here for a younger smarter guy.

15 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Counsell, Cash, Martinez, Hyde, Cora, Boone, Servais, Snitker, and Roberts are all typically regarded as the better managers in the game. Some of them are considered to be the very best.

They were all hired as first time managers (in the ML level).

If the Sox want to find a good manager, it’s probably better to go with a first time guy. 

Cubs had a real nice post-ASG under David Ross and developed some fine young pitching.  Good hire and a first timer to boot. Better FO and owners than the Sox?  You know the answer.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic