White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

We thought it couldn't get worse than Tony but Hahn/KW/Jerry are determined to prove that wrong 🙂

Look at the original statement by Hahn on the qualifications and then his latest version of that.  If an older manager is hired, then you know Kenny and Jerry are truly running it and Hahn is a GM in name alone.  Fancy title for the same role he has had in the past.  The contract guy.  Decisions are made up at a higher level.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Look at the original statement by Hahn on the qualifications and then his latest version of that.  If an older manager is hired, then you know Kenny and Jerry are truly running it and Hahn is a GM in name alone.  Fancy title for the same role he has had in the past.  The contract guy.  Decisions are made up at a higher level.  

Kenny has been involved in everything for 22 years and the organization has never come close to being a consistent contender during that time. This time around, though, I'm sue he'll finally get it right!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Disagree if it’s Washington. Jon Daniels and Rick Hahn are tight. I think they likely reach a true consensus if it’s Washington. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You don’t think Ron Washington is better than the ghost of Tony La Russa on game day? 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Can you elaborate here? Do you have examples of the game passing by Ron Washington? 

Washington was a total disaster from a tactical perspective during his tenure in Texas. Maybe he's gotten better over the last 8 years, but I'm skeptical. I am by no means a Tony guy, but an everlasting memory I have of Washington as a manager is him getting severely outmanaged by Tony during the 2011 World Series. Having Cruz in RF here may have cost Texas a ring.

Way too many bunts, being several hitters too late on pitching changes, bad hitters being up too high in the order, etc. Almost every issue we had with Tony from a tactical perspective I remember being a glaring issue for Wash during his tenure in Texas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He might be my favorite potential option, at least based on publicly available information.

I recommend reading this (Athletic sub required): https://theathletic.com/3234920/2022/04/07/qa-phillies-hitting-coach-kevin-long-on-his-prep-work-philosophy-and-a-stacked-lineup-thats-as-solid-as-there-is/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Ron Washington would be a substantial upgrade over what Tony La Russa provided the last two seasons 

I just don't know why the Sox would even consider another old fossil. What is the point? Is there a lack of candidates under 60? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

He might be my favorite potential option, at least based on publicly available information.

I recommend reading this (Athletic sub required): https://theathletic.com/3234920/2022/04/07/qa-phillies-hitting-coach-kevin-long-on-his-prep-work-philosophy-and-a-stacked-lineup-thats-as-solid-as-there-is/

Schildt has been the guy I was quietly rooting for. But I like Long based on what I see here. 

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Definitely. Would actually excite me.

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

I just don't know why the Sox would even consider another old fossil. What is the point? Is there a lack of candidates under 60? 

Something with social security, Jerry gets a discount if he has another fossil on the payroll. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Do you not remember Wash as a manager?

I remember the bunts. I just think he'd be better this time and hopefully supported. I think he'd hold players accountable and I also think Moncada and TA would drastically improve their defense. Regardless of who they hire, if they don't hit for substantially more power, none of it matters. I just don't think Washington would be actively conspiring against organizational messages and such. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I’m 100% team Kevin long, didn’t realize he wanted a manager gig. 

I could be legit excited for Eloy actually achieving his ceiling with Long, which could go a long way to helping this team.

I just don’t know how a manager is going to make Eloy reach his potential offensively, although after he came back it looked like he was well on his way.  He’s probably a pretty good coach. The Yankees kept him around a long time, but if you look at the Phillies stats, they don’t have anyone really doing any more than expected. Of course you don’t have many doing way less than expected, so I would think that is a good thing. They have lost their way offensively, so maybe bringing in an “offensive” guy is the route. What they do with the rest of the staff will be important. I don’t know what kind of connections he has and what kind of coaches he could attract. I would definitely keep Katz. I know the Sox love Hassler in the bullpen, and that’s fine. Might be time to change everything else.

I really don’t want the old guys, but really I am now an anyone but Tony guy. 

Edited by Dick Allen

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic