White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Washington would be an improvement over Tony, but we desperately need someone who will bring a more modern approach to the role.  Ron would be great to fill out a staff, but we should strive higher for our manager spot.

Agreed. I wouldn’t mind him as a bench coach. Currently being a 3rd base coach, a bench coach has to be a promotion right?

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Agreed. I wouldn’t mind him as a bench coach. Currently being a 3rd base coach, a bench coach has to be a promotion right?

Honestly, I don’t how that’s viewed.  I always assume the bench coach is 2nd in command in the dugout, but clubs may view it more or less being a lateral move vs. a 3rd base coach job.  Washington would make a ton there though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I just don’t know how a manager is going to make Eloy reach his potential offensively, although after he came back it looked like he was well on his way.  He’s probably a pretty good coach. The Yankees kept him around a long time, but if you look at the Phillies stats, they don’t have anyone really doing any more than expected. Of course you don’t have many doing way less than expected, so I would think that is a good thing. They have lost their way offensively, so maybe bringing in an “offensive” guy is the route. What they do with the rest of the staff will be important. I don’t know what kind of connections he has and what kind of coaches he could attract. I would definitely keep Katz. I know the Sox love Hassler in the bullpen, and that’s fine. Might be time to change everything else.

I really don’t want the old guys, but really I am now an anyone but Tony guy. 

Maybe I’m putting too much in one story but Eloy and Schwarbers careers feel very similar, and Long gets a lot of credit for Schwarbers breakout in WAS. And the Nationals had so many breakouts during his tenure.

It is never that straight forward but I feel like it’s worth a shot with how limited we can improve the club otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just don't think Washington would be actively conspiring against organizational messages and such. 

That’s a pretty low bar.  I’m hoping, and that may be too high of bar, that the Sox can do better than that simple goal.  

• Haha 1

There's no question Washington would be a good choice for simply improving basic fundamentals of the game which this team desperately needs. I'm not sure how'd I'd feel about him as a manager on an in-game basis. Maybe he is very open to an analytical approach for in-game management. I think it's pretty obvious that Tony did what he wanted playing Leury every day. That alone has to count for improvement somewhere.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:22 PM, Texsox said:

I don't think the locker room was toxic. He just let the guys be guys. It didn't seem like he did anything. The fans were toxic but the players all seemed to get along fine. 

Fair enough maybe toxic was too strong of a word. Yet from all indications we have, it was a clubhouse not motivated lacking positive energy as they had during the 2020 season prior to Tony. Which is why Cairo had to read them the "riot act" because he knew the team attitude and effort sucked. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Fair enough maybe toxic was too strong of a word. Yet from all indications we have, it was a clubhouse not motivated lacking positive energy as they had during the 2020 season prior to Tony. Which is why Cairo had to read them the "riot act" because he knew the team attitude and effort sucked. 

That's exactly how I perceived the clubhouse. Tony allowed these guys to do their own thing and trusted them to be ready and Tony was very wrong. I think we learned that modern players need a little in your face energy from a manager. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He seems like a guy who is great at keeping his team motivated and ready during the season and then never pushes the right buttons in the postseason.

That’s kind of what I get too, but it’s hard to deny that their pen, specifically the closer, was pretty shaky this year going into the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

That's exactly how I perceived the clubhouse. Tony allowed these guys to do their own thing and trusted them to be ready and Tony was very wrong. I think we learned that modern players need a little in your face energy from a manager. 

Every manager has his process and every team has their own set of personalities.  Terry Francona is  famous for having card games ( usually cribbage ) in the Red Sox  and Cleveland clubhouses after games with his team. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

That’s kind of what I get too, but it’s hard to deny that their pen, specifically the closer, was pretty shaky this year going into the playoffs.  

If we just got to make that excuse this year that would be one thing, but this is a team that has made the playoffs for 10 straight years, regularly wins 100+ games, and has 1 title. That's sorta low performance, all things considered. 

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we just got to make that excuse this year that would be one thing, but this is a team that has made the playoffs for 10 straight years, regularly wins 100+ games, and has 1 title. That's sorta low performance, all things considered. 

The Marlins, by that measure, outperformed the Dodgers since the 1997 season...especially since 2020, LA's one WS year, was not even 40% of a full season, and playing opponents were intentionally limited.

58 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Every manager has his process and every team has their own set of personalities.  Terry Francona is  famous for having card games ( usually cribbage ) in the Red Sox  and Cleveland clubhouses after games with his team. 

Cribbage is my favorite card game.  Let’s trade for Francona.  🎲(I couldn’t find a deck of cards so I defaulted to a die)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree with that, but I also grew up in the era of the Bobby Cox Braves lol

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic